1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Test Drives

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 8, 2011.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In Torrance, CA, the Mods got the chance to test drive multiple package levels of the Prius v. I didn't drive, choosing instead to check out the car while Tideland Prius drove. I'll let him write his version of the experience, but for me, it's a really nice car. The big thing for me was the mileage he achieved. I've attached a picture of his final mileage after a 20-mile fully-interstate drive. He was not babying the car and was keeping up with traffic. The interstate mileage was excellent and then once we got back on streets, the battery was charged and there was tons of battery range.

Attached Files:

7 people like this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, thanks Tony for posting, this is the kind of info I am constantly looking for while the media and marketing geniuses are talking about "the 40-mile club"; cars that have combined rating in the low 30's. I like the fact that hybrids are outperforming their official EPA rating with normal driving and will even be more for hypermilers.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't capture a photo, but at the end of my 30.1 mile mixed city/freeway driving loop (which included some hills in the LA Harbor area), I averaged 47.0mpg. To be fair, I started with a battery at 2-3 bars as the car had been used to demo misc. features.

It's safe to say it's a great looking car and drives pretty well for it's size. There are some subtle behavior differences between the current 3rd Gen Prius and the Prius v prototypes we drove, but nothing that I'd complain about, other than it does feel slower and a tiny bit heavier (though not really "bigger", unlike a Sienna).

This car does have the pedestrian alert noise as seen on YouTube, but it's hardly noticeable from the inside, and only functions at low EV speeds.

(edit)

Photos in a public Facebook album:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150310712057228.384696.647177227&l=c3c8de3fb6

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7 people like this.
  4. Fastronaut

Fastronaut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone test driving run the A/C during the drive? Wondering how things felt while it was running. Looks like a great vehicle.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was running the A/C at 74F and had DRCC set between 60 and 70mph and still got that 50.4mpg that Tony posted at the top. I also floored it a few times to merge and/or overtake so yeah, I was not babying it. I was also in normal mode (not ECO mode). The sunshade was not closed (so the sun was beaming in through the panoramic roof). OAT was between 75 and 84F as seen on the outside temp gauge.

3 people like this.
  6. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What was the road noise like compared to the 2010-11 Gen3 in city and highway driving? I'm a bit jealous. Good looking shot of the car btw!

7. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the road noise, what was that like compared to the Gen III? That is really what I am after.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you notice the pitch and bounce control smoothing out the ride on the highway?

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's tough to compare since I was driving the fully loaded Five with 17" rims compared to my IV. I'd call it comparable. Engine noise was slightly more pronounced under hard acceleration, but only subtly.

I couldn't really tell a significant difference for the Pitch and Roll control when on a freeway driving over expansion joints.

Gas pedal feels slightly *more* sensitive in Eco mode compared to my 2010.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh and that 50mpg was done with a fully loaded Prius v (17" alloys).

Frankly, I wasn't sure if Pitch & Bounce was working. I mean the roads I took weren't too bad and it was quite comfortable on the highway. It was reasonably quiet and I felt that the JBL (if you recall is a new, eco-friendly JBL system) sounded clear but the songs that were played through Pandora didn't have much bass (could be audio settings. I never touched the settings).

I didn't notice too much of a difference between ECO and normal mode but then again, I was mostly in normal mode. PWR mode didn't have the same kick as the Prius probably because of the extra weight.

The model Three that I drove had an average of 41.2mpg but I forgot to reset that one (plus it was idling on/off during the Entune demonstration) so initial mpg is promising.

It's nice to see the Energy Monitor back (I do use it in the Gen 2) but surprisingly, most of my attention was towards the vertical HSI (left of the speedo).

Speaking of which, those that are concerned about the centre placement of the instrument panel, it didn't really bug me. The speedo is didn't seem any further right than the current Gen 3 (it might be but it didn't feel any different). Of course, if you're coming from a Gen 2, then you'll notice that it's further to the right (towards the centre of the car) than you're used to.

I felt that the shifter had more heft to it (there was more spring resistance). SoftTex felt really nice. To me, it felt waay better than the NuLuxe found on the CT200h (which I thought felt like a rubber ball that you played with in gym class). The steering wheel is also lined in SoftTex and I'm not sure if you could tell if no one told you. It felt a bit softer and not as rough as real leather but Toyota did a pretty good job with it.

Model Five with Premium Nav will have projector lines with the backup camera.

Like HTMLSpinnr said, I couldn't hear the noise maker when I was in the car with the windows down. I did hear it when I was outside of the car but it's not intrusive. That sound you hear on that YouTube video of the Prius noise maker demo in Japan is the same sound you hear on the Prius v but again, nothing like the backup camera beep.

2 people like this.
  11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Linda and I drove the v as well. We didn't use any techniques to try and get good gas mileage. On the contrary, we had the windows all down, radio turned up loud and cruised for almost 2 hours around the LA area. In the end (in PWR mode the whole time) we got 46.1 mpg. Needless to say we were impressed when we finally did look at the mpg number...

3 people like this.
  12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact is, the difference in annual fuel cost between 40mpg and 50mpg is fairly small at current prices. That makes this car a great buy as long as the final MSRP is reasonable. I'd actually consider it over the c if that car doesn't deliver stellar mpg numbers.

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A shout-out thanks to all you guys for testing and reporting real world information about the Prius. You guys are the right people since you know the product more than the mainstream press. I hope Toyota have the Prius PHV for you guys to test as early as September.

I can not read the mainstream car review anymore since they blog opinions or copy & paste inaccurate information. Case in point!

The Electric Range Of The 2012 Plug-in Prius: Toyota's Excuse

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    glad to hear the test drives went better than your "room key operation". now the mileage is all well and good and really was the least of my concerns. i guess with the much bigger size, frame, etc. handling is what i am most concerned with.

how does is it in emergency maneuvers? braking? cornering? etc.

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with the gas mileage assertion. If people were to understand that, they would then realize that the gas mileage of the Prius v is really awesome. They can at least double their current SUV mileage.

When the Prius v first announced and PC members were complaining about its mileage then, especially the 38 highway, I calculated at $4:00 dollars for the cost of driving each additional 5 miles based on miles/gallon. It just so happen that cost of gas mileage after a certain point, maybe 60mpg, may not be that significant cost-wise. I hope the Prius c hits 60mpg or close to it.

Cars with MPG Cost of each 5-mile
    10 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $2.00
    20 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $1.00
    40 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.50
    50 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.40 = Prius
    60 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.33
    70 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.285
    80 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.25
    90 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.22
    100 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.20
    125 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.16
    150 miles/gallon= Each 5 miles costs: $0.133

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm. so with my Leaf at 2.4 cents per mile or 12 cents means i am in the 180 + mpg range?? ya i know; completely unrelated to the topic...just saying ya know

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the Leaf is hard to beat, it is an EV. I think it maybe even higher than 180mpg based on cost of Kwh where you live, when you charge, solar charge, etc...

18. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this may be a little to early to ask, but what do you guys think about crash ratings and overall safety will be compared to the 2010-11 GenIII? Bigger is better in this case correct? Since the Prius v is targeted towards a young family, has Toyota added any safety enhancements like stronger side beams etc?

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my cost is about 10.1 cents per KWH so that is how the 2.4 cents per mile is tabulated and that is only over the past 3-4 weeks as summer has boosted that along with charging more efficiently. but that is pretty high since a high percentage of Leaf owners charge with excess solar.

previously i was only charging at 120 volts which was about a 75% efficiency. recently started charging at 240 volts with mod from Phil (peef here) which should increase my efficiency to somewhere in the mid 80's i am hoping hence the numbers which are better than my LT average in my signature. i only installed monitoring equipment on thurs My Nissan Leaf Forum • Metering my 240 Modded EVSE so will take a few weeks to get good #'s to report

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it will have to be slightly stronger to get same scores since it is heavier, but otherwise, Gen3 scored top in every test there is, right?