1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Tires (Michelin Premiere A/S or Continental PureContact LS)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by prevee5, Apr 27, 2019.

1. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Any suggestions?

I have the Premiere A/S right now. They’ve been pretty good tires overall in terms of noise, traction and wear. I have 50K+ miles on them so I need to make a decision soon and these are the two I’ve narrowed the list down to. Wouldn’t mind going back to the Michelins but I’ve heard a lot of great things about the Conti’s. Excellent ratings from Tire Rack, similar to the Michelins but a superior treadwear warranty. Price is similar taking into account Costco’s current promo on Michelins and Tirerack pricing.

Here’s the problem. Costco currently does not have any tire showing up in their database for the Prius v.
    215/50-17 Try searching it up, there’s nothing there. You can search and find by size but it won’t let you purchase as their database says there are no tires recommended for this vehicle that they carry.
    And Costco won’t sell me a tire unless it’s on their database. This is super weird since the current set of Michelins were purchased at Costco! So for some reason they are no longer recommended. Oh yeah, and Costco doesn’t carry Continental either.

OK now that I’ve wasted your time, what is the best tire for the v Model 5? Anyone happy with either tire? Pro’s/Cons?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2012 Prius v Model 5

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Some Costcos around us are strict, requiring the same speed rating, (or higher*), as the original tire. Since Toyota chose a very high performance W rated tire, it may be difficult finding that rating. I can suggest America’s Tire in Pasadena. 1917 E Colorado Blvd. (There’s so many America something Tire Store might be in the wrong store). I always go there for tire services/purchases. They will price match, yes even Costco or Sam’s Club, even TireRack for that matter. They split the shipping. Haven’t tried since TireRack dropped shipping for I think a $7 service fee though. I have a vehicle whose V speed rated tires were no longer available in the original size, so I chose one of the alternative sizes available. This tire did not fit well in the spare tire storage area in the trunk. I was allowed to exchange it for a different size with little to no hassle. (Salesman came out for me to show what the issue was, that’s about it. The floor stuck up a little).

With regards to which tire to choose, we still have 3 original tires, (one went flat). The three are getting quite low on tread, so I have been looking at options. NOTE: I have not bought them yet, but am considering size 225/50R17:

Sentury UHP 98W rating. (This is proper speed rating. Noted as 40k mi treadlife warranty, but some say they wear out quickly in the reviews. Anyways they should prorate the mileage if you have issues with treadwear that aren’t mechanically caused (ie poor alignment). Negatives most likely not for snow, and somewhat dismal rain rating. We hardly get rain here though). $188 for 4 tires plus fees.

NEXEN ARIA AH7 94H rating. (H in my opinion is pretty good for the performance power of a Prius v. 80k treadlife warranty. Looks like a good all around performer. Negative is I may miss the W rated grip of the originals, but I hardly drive her, my 80+ year old parents’ do. Also we get so little mileage at 10 years the tread on these will probably still look new, but they will stop servicing them, so I would have to probably rotate them on my own if I choose to keep them longer. I think my record was in the 20+ year range). $328 for 4 plus fees.

Best of luck! Please feel free to update us with your final choice and happiness with them!!!

For the added unsprung weight of the larger tires, I hope to convince my parents to change the wheels to Enkei RPF1s which are the lightest I could find, the two options are 17x7 14.9 lbs per Enkei specs, or 17x8 16.05 lbs again per Enkei specs. I may choose the 17x7 to keep a good amount of rubber cushion against scraping the wheels. My dad scraped the original wheels up!

#2 jzchen, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We run 225/50R17 Conti PureContact. Slightly larger footprint and diameter, 98V load/speed rating. No adverse hit to mpg versus OEM TOYOs.

jzchen likes this.
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also levels up the displayed speed to GPS speed.

jzchen likes this.