1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v to Suburban and back

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by 2sk21, Jul 13, 2012.

1. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My daily driver is a v3 however recently on our family vacation in Utah and Wyoming, I drove a rented Suburban for over 1400 miles. We needed a vehicle of this size because we had six people with some luggage (mostly bulk not weight). My first choice would have been a minivan but none were available in Salt Lake City unfortunately.

As you can imagine, the transition from Prius to Suburban and back was pretty dramatic. A few observations:

1. Ultimately on the highway, the Prius v and Suburban seemed to handle about the same. From the edmunds web site, I calculate 24 pounds/hp for the Prius and 18 pounds/hp for the Suburban. So the power to weight ratio is better in the Suburban but it did not feel all that much more powerful.

2. Getting used to the bulk of the Suburban was hard. It took a whole day of driving before I became comfortable handling a vehicle of this size.

3. The effort needed to move both the steering and pedals in the suburban was substantially higher despite power assistance in the Suburban. When I came back to my Prius, I had to consciously reduce the amount of strength in my arms and legs.

4. I got 16.6 MPG for the trip in the Suburban which is not bad I guess if you distribute it over six people. On the other hand, my Prius v gave me 48 MPG on a road trip with five people.

5. The biggest surprise was that the interior room in the Prius is *much* better. Despite the great bulk of the Suburban, my family commented many times about the lack of room compared to the Prius, especially for the front passenger. Overall, the Prius feels more roomy. My impression is that the high ground clearance in the Suburban greatly reduces the vertical passenger volume.

Finally, we a saw a Prius v3 in Grant Village in Yellowstone Park with New Hampshire plates. I wonder if it belongs to one of the members of this forum. If so, I would be very interested hear how the cross country trip went in the Prius.

2. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 2005 Excursion and a 2010 Prius. The Excursion is larger than the Suburban. I get close to 21MPG in my diesel Excursion. Not bad since it weighs over 8000 lbs! I have gotten as high at 54.8MPG with the Prius but I tpyically average 51 MPG.

They are two totally different vehicles to drive. The Excursion has a stiffer ride than the Prius. The Prius handles much better though.

There is much more room in the Excursion than the Prius. I have driven both vehicles from VA to NY and back and the Excursion is my preference as it tolerates the poor roads in NJ & NY better than the Prius.

Lastly, I know the 4WD Excursion will handle just about any amount of snow that comes its way. I have driven through 26 inches of snow without any problems. I doubt the Prius would handle anything more than 6 inches.

Both vehicles have their + and -. I do drive the Prius to work daily!

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 98' Expedition for towing our 20' boat. I pretty much drive it to the local ramp and back every Sunday during the summer. Now that I use the Prius as the daily driver to work- the Expedition will probably rack up less than 500mi for the whole year. You can bet- as soon as it snows- the Prius will be staying home! I think one tire on the Expedition weighs as much as 3 Prius tires...

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, My 2000 F250 Superduty gets used very sparingly - tow the m/c trailer a couple times a year. Rest of the time the Prius is used as the daily driver.

DBCassidy