1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Two just reached (a bit over) 10,000 trouble free miles!

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Cristino, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I know it doesn't compare to people who have over 100,000 miles already :notworthy: but just wanted to share my experience. ;)

The computer reports 48MPG but I'm sure its closer to 45. Still beats EPA estimates. :p I fill the tank every payday (on the 15 and 30 of the month), takes close to $28 worth of gas (about 7.5 gallons @ $3.7) .

50% City/Hwy, country dweller here. The "mountains" where I live are more like tall hills :)

I accelerate with traffic (I don't want to be THE one who halts traffic flow) and ease off the accelerator as I approach my target speed, often ending with the ICE purring at 1 or 2 bars. Never use Neutral on downhills and I let the engine warm up and shut off in the morning while I add food and water to my dog. I don't P&G, just let the computer do its thing.

95% of the time I use the NORMAL mode, only use EV to show off at parking lots :D and EV+ECO when it is a BIG parking lot :giggle:

When traffic is very heavy (say, afternoon rush hour) I use ECO to maximize the battery power. One of these days I'll try the power mode...

A/C is on 24/7 set to Auto 70F (I like my car COOL!)

Tire pressure is 40/38, with factory Yokohama BluEarth tires.

Aftermarket accesories: autodimming rearview mirror with Homelink from Amazon, fog lights and splash guards from Toyota Parts in Atlanta - Genuine Toyota Parts from Toyota of McDonough for your Camry, Corolla and Tundra | Toyota McDonough Parts. Installation done by myself (very easy!)

What I'm waiting for: an installation kit for a in-dash DVD/GPS.

I'm still amazed at the number of people who worry about battery longevity and supposed $4,000 cost. I tell them it is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles so if my pack fails after 7 years, I get it replaced FOR FREE. A transmission failure after 7 years is a big $$$ expense.

All in all I am *very* happy with my Prius v, its roominess and versatility and I'm looking forward many more uneventful miles. :love:

Attached Files:

Emcguy likes this.
  2. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you do an intermittent oil change at 5k as some people do? Some guys recommend doing a first change at 5k then sticking to the 10k routine after that.

You've had your car about one year?

3. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kensterfly;

Had the first oil change at 5,000 miles when the Service light came on. The dealer mechanic said the oil can be changed at 10,000 miles but with my low mileage he prefers to do it every 8 months and I think I'll stick to that schedule. This Saturday I have an appointment for the 10,000 mile check. Yes, I've had my v for roughly a year now. My daily commute is 20 miles R/T because I take the train to work. If I'm going elsewhere after work then the commute is 40+ miles... And on some weekends I do longer trips (120-140 miles R/T) :)

4. Jim McA

Jim McA New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Picked up my PriVThree three weeks ago; drove 6400 miles in the mean time (NYC area to Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, and all over everywhere.) Brought the car in for its 5000 mile checkup last week, and they thought there was some mistake in the paperwork: doesn't everyone take a shakedown cruise in their new wheels?

Based on my experience, this is the best car ever: four people and all our stuff, and still got close to 44 MPG (at altitude, mileage goes down a bit.) I made great use of the "B" setting on the mountain downhills. There is a mandatory brake check part way down Pike's Peak at 14,100 feet - the ranger uses a laser thermometer on the front brakes, and I was the lowest temp all day. I don't wear "smug" well, but everyone could see that I was the coolest guy on the mountain with my cool brakes.

Regarding oil, I'll be back to 10K changes after this initial 5K. It's cheap and can't hurt. Meanwhile, I have a lot of buttons to figure out how to press. And I've been getting 47 or so on my commute: over 3X better mileage than my just-retired 2001 Isuzu Trooper.

Great forum - learning a lot.
    Best,
    Jim

jonb505, Cristino and Kensterfly like this.
  5. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Update: took my v to its 10k check at the dealership. Now I know why some people call them STEALERSHIPS.

On top of the $89 (+ tax) oil change/fluid check/tire rotation, the dealer wanted to charge $100 (+ tax) extra for washing the engine (the whole engine bay IS clean, I check the fluids every week!) and "adjusting" the brakes. Of course I said no and they just noted "refused suggested maintenance" on the order sheet. This, of course could mean anything in the future. I'll NOT be returning to that particular place. :mad:

6. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    We've hit 17000km after 1 year and unfortunately the shoulders of both front tyres are rubbing out. We run at standard pressures and don't corner too hard. Toyota said it was normal. Pretty disappointed.

7. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds way too early to have any signs of tire wear. What brand are your OEM tires?
    My v with 16" wheels just rolled over 50,000km and tires still look great(OEM Michelin Energy Savers), I drive like a sane person "most" of the time but like to push it in the corners occasionally. I've gone through cheaper bargain bin tires on previous cars i've owned and i drove them like race cars so i know what worn shoulders on a tire tread look like.
    Try running a bit more pressure in the tires than you normally do. Extra wear on the outside edge of the tread i believe is a sure sign of underinflated tires. Do you regularly have extra passengers with you, tools/junk in the trunk? Might help to increase the tire pressures a bit all around to compensate for extra load.
    Another factor could be your location. If you drive on gravel/rough roads they tend to chew up tire treads i've noticed.

8. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My 16's came with Bridgestone Turanza 92V. We always have at least 3 kids in the car and occasionally load it up for camping trips. The Toyota dealer said it's not uncommon for the OE tyres to last only 40K km.

9. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I just read that V rated tyres are very soft. This might explain it... partially.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Time to inflate to 40 PSI Front, 38 PSI rear.

Too low a pressure wears the edges, too high a pressure wears the center. When you need new tires, try a little lower than 40 but above Toyota's spec. (IMO it favors comfort over mileage, life, and handling)

11. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto.
    Thats what i run for pressures all the time, good balance of comfort, tread wear, and fuel economy, and 75% of the time its just me in the car. Perhaps the Michelin energy savers have exceptional tread life but judging by how they look now i can see getting another 50,000km out of them yet.
    One annoying issue i have is my local dealership keeps reseting my tire pressures to 32 all around when i go in for an oil change!(they say they run those pressures on all their passenger cars based on customer feedback or some stupid thing) And I keep forgetting to tell em to leave the tires alone. Makes for alot of huffing and puffing after a service with a bicycle pump to get them back up to 40/38 again. :confused:

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I specify 38f/36r and to leave my headlights ON.

13. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all, I'll up the pressures and see how I go.