1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v wagon puzzle finally complete; Here's what we know

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two weeks after puzzle packages were first sent out to 50 of the web's biggest Prius fans, the pieces have finally fallen into place and we have a better picture of what the Prius v wagon will be all about. So here's what we can gather from the completed puzzle:
    • 50% more cargo space. This is the big feature of the Prius v. A 50% increase in cargo volume will bring the "v" up to about 32 cu ft. That's still about 5 cu ft short of the cargo space in an SUV like the RAV4, but is still very competitive for families who would otherwise look at midsize SUVs.
    • No third seat, at least here in the US. The early reports we had heard about a 3rd row in the Prius v came out of Japan, so it's no big shock that we aren't getting it in North America. Still, it is disappointing since it won't meet the needs of those hybrid fans who want minivan passenger space without the bloat that has taken over the van segment like the Sienna.
    • Dual panel moonroof. Let's hope at least the front one opens. I've always thought moonroofs that don't open are a total waste, but that opinion could be the minority. The added cost and weight (think MPGs) would not be worth the trade-off for a fixed piece of glass.
    • New audio system with internet streaming. Toyota showed us in one of the earlier teasers that the Prius v is going to get a new audio system with internet audio streaming, at least in the form of an "iheartradio" app (a ClearChannel service). Pandora recently updated their smartphone app to enable AppLink compatibility with Ford's SYNC system. Hopefully Toyota is using a similar API to connect Android and iOS phones to the new Prius v's audio system. I mostly hold out hope so that Prius owners aren't stuck with a ClearChannel service on their future Prius.
    • Power outlet in the trunk. Finally, a power source in the Prius' trunk. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted this feature in my 2G and 3G Prius, and we'll finally get it in the Prius v.
    • Hard plastic seatbacks on the rear seats. This is a small, but great addition to the Prius family. Hopefully they are unlike the interior plastics on the 3rd Generation Prius and won't scratch easily.
    What stood out to you amongst all of the teaser images we've seen so far?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, with 50% more cargo space I could run two 12" subs and still have room for my 1000' roll of barbed-wire and associated tools without having to flip the rear seats down! Good job, Toyota! :)

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the dual pane sunroofs. But yes, even if it was the ability to manually remove the pane...I'd want the option of being able to open it. I hope they are not just static windows.....

I have to admit, I can't wait to see this product.

4. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This pretty much confirms that the Prius v is essentially based on the Toyota Verso MPV sold in Europe, though of course with a different nose design and also lacking the third row seats.

By the way, there is good reason for lack of third row seats: beneath the rear cargo area is where the rather large NiMH battery pack is located.

5. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they could fit the 2 EV packs in the back of a regular Prius they should fit in the back of this model. The next tease uses the term Plural...

6. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's great that this puzzle was finally completed. The Prius v sounds and may look great but I'm glad I purchased the gen III. The v doesn't offer enough for me to want to purchase it at launch. Here's to hoping for a Tesla/Toyota Rav4 EV that looks decent, performs well, and doesn't have the price tag of tesla's cars. Oh and doesn't have any recall problems. Asking too much? :-P

7. dinger_greg

dinger_greg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The extra cargo space will be a huge selling point. Goodbye SUV's

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hopefully, this is also foresight for the PHEV, when they offer an addition that says "50% more battery space" :D

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cargo space is a bonus, but the lack of a 3rd seat rules it out for my family, at least for another 3-7 years.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice... definitely more utilitarian than the Prius hatchback. I prefer my fully-lined cargo area to the hard plastic ones of the Matrix and RAV4 where the "v" seem to inherit.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    even without the 3rd seat it maintains the 5 seat capacity and the extra storage is great. give me one with a 20 mile EV range and i am on it.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Were it not for the fact that my previous Toyota lasted 20 years, I would be all over this. Perhaps a V gen V!

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    and that is the trick. with buying a 2011 Leaf and having 2010 Prius, i cannot afford another car for a few years. but having done that 10 day car trip in the 2010. it was crammed but it worked because my Son is 3.

but later on, when he gets bigger, he will have more luggage and need more space. i purposefully brought very little. i am not a clothes horse and other than clean underware i had minimal needs. it was summer like weather, so wore sandals the entire trip. so no socks which is my other need. so i packed t-shirts for each day and about 4 pairs of shorts. i was good.

otoh; if the price is good, i might work some sort of trade or try to get a good price on the market and maybe move to that but we see. its easy to resist the temptation of a picture...

14. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just think how much easier it would be to load ladders into the car:D

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No third row = not even remotely interesting to me. I've had exactly two occasions to need more cargo volume in my '04, and dozens and dozens of times where we took two cars because of a lack of seating.

16. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    At Toyota Prius Projects the title of the 6th part is "What to call one when it turns into more".
    Could that be that the wagon could get an extra third row and turns into something more, like a MPV?
    Just a thought...

17. pro101

pro101 The best car, is no car.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    BIG DISAPPOINTMENT of lack of 3rd row seat. Even if the back row is tiny and just for kids... at least there is one. I'll put my money elsewhere.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    keep it at or near the same price as the 2010, mileage at 48 mpg plus and i be interested. dont need extra seating, but the extra storage would be wonderful. after our trip to Disney, we found that the 2010 Prius "barely" fits our current storage needs. but when my child is older, the Prius might not make it.

but i am not going to sacrifice mileage for an occasional trip. so keep the mileage up and i b interested

19. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're planning to keep our 04 for as long as possible but may be moving into two car country where more cargo room would make shleping the kids and stuff much easier.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm completely tossed up as to whether I would rather have 50% more cargo space or better MPG. I mean, if the Prius c comes out with a crazy mpg jump then I might be persuaded to go that route. On the other hand, a jump in 10mpg over 50mpg would not be a huge savings like it was going from 30mpg to 40mpg.