1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

@@@ Prius v water wade @@@

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by tanasit, Aug 11, 2012.

1. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yesterday on my way to Media Pennsylvania the rain suddenly poured down like crazy. On RT 476 it was just a slow traffic all around but when I turned into a smaller street with hills and valleys I did not expect the water to run like a rushing river especially along the shoulders. Since the rain was so heavy and the visibility was at best 10 yards and as I was coming down the hill I saw the huge mass of water coming towards me really fast! wash was suddenly slowed down by the full force and the impact was so much that the water rushed onto half of the hood at which point I was trying to move to the center lane but the car wouldn't steer as fast as I like. I came up to the second hill and waded through a foot or so running water then decided to pull into a gas station.
    Later I popped up the hood and found leaves, debris and water marks everywhere! I was happy and surprised that my v got through that without any problems. The door seals also held tight and showed only water left around the "outside" edges of the door frames.
    It was the scariest moment for me though.

[​IMG]

The wiper was at full speed!!

[​IMG]

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As a general aid in any rain, buy and use Rain-X, it's a great product. I've been using it since I started driving in 93' and apply it to all the windows on every new car I buy the day I bring it home.

3. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That with Rain-X which I just applied 2 days earlier! I also used the one that mix with the windshield washer but haven't done with my new v yet.
    Thanks,

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No sort of damage at all? That's pretty amazing considering the height of the water you said.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are lucky you did not loose control! I have been in gully washers, that much water can really surprise you!
    Good thing the door seals held!

6. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG]

One of my ad-on DRL's took in some water and stopped working. I had to replace it today but I did not have enough slags in the wires so I had to remove the front undercarriage panel which revealed a lot of leaves and debris. I also found those that got stuck to the radiator. I has to tape a brush to a long screwdriver and slid it through the front grill to brush them off first because if I chose to hose it off, the debris may get pushed deeper into the radiator fins. Later I sprayed plenty of Simple Green then hosed it off. I though about using the air compressor but it may blow the dirt everywhere. I also did a good clean up in the engine room where I found more water marks and leaves and etc. I forgot to mention that the force of the running water also pushed the square cap on the left hand side of the front bumper half way off! Fresh out of the water the brake acted funny for a few seconds though.

I was trying to use the cruise control just to see if it work while I was driving in the heavy rain, after a few second I got the "E2" error and the cruise control turned itself off! This is a good sign because I heard somewhere that the cruise control may cause hydro-planing while trying to keep the constant speed on wet roads.

7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did 1 water crossing in a Hummer H1...even in that it was scary and had it up to the headlights on it and once in my Tundra up on Saddleback Mountain and will never again attempt to cross water especially in the Prius. Good to hear there was no major damage.