1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Vacations

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by noperfecto, Aug 23, 2006.

1. noperfecto

noperfecto Junior Member

I have been lurking on PriusChat for about 8 weeks, soaking up hints, etc on driving the Prius... :ph34r: and we received our Prius about 4 weeks ago.... and thus began a great set of memories...

My family and I just returned from a 4000 mile trip in our new Prius. What a Hoot!!!!

Four adults (including my significant other of 28 years, and our "kids" -- 21 and 23), all our luggage for two weeks of travel (including a wedding), and our son's film equipment... And the car only had 498 miles on it when we started...

Bottom line, even after getting sent down a wagon track by the navigation system in Wyoming; driving all night because our hotel reservations were taken by bikers at the Sturgis S.D. biker rally; just missing deer at 1 am on the road; driving through a very heavy storm -- we safely made it from LA to Mitchell SD for our nephew's wedding and a BIG family reunion.

Our average gas mileage (by tracking fillups) was right at 50MPG (50.02mpg to be exact). Unbelievable!!! It was a HOOT to get the about same mileage as all those biker hogs in South Dakota... but with 4 adults and all our stuff!

It was great to take one more family road trip. Especially since it was probably our last time to be able to do so (the "kids" either just graduated from College or will be in 2007).

BTW: We only saw four other Priuses once we left the SCAL environs, but we know we're home because they are everywhere.

Thanks for all your postings, hints, pointers, and discussions! They gave us quite a bit of confidence in the vehicle, and rightfully so. It is a real trooper :) .

-dns

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. Congrats!

Sounds like you had fun!

3. marjam

marjam Member

What a great time and what memories you will have. I am glad that you are still speaking after that much time together.

4. treyism

treyism New Member

I too took the family on vacation in my new 06 Prius and loved it! My wife and two children (5 and 10 years old) along with luggage traveled in style with room to spare. I sold my BMW X5 and purchased the Prius and absolutely love it.

We started out with under 300 miles on the odo. We only took a short trip from Mannassas, VA to Williamsburg, VA but it was a good road trip to break it in.

The Tuesday before we headed out I met Jon from FactoryInteractive and he installed PriusSirus unit, besides the 10 character display issue I love it and Jon performed a great install!

This past weekend I had the windows tinted and I like the look of it a lot... plus it keeps the car cooler!

Overall this is the most fun I've ever had with a new car! I took me months to decide to purchase it... but there are no regrets!

Best regards,
    Trey

5. noperfecto

noperfecto Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treyism @ Aug 23 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]308572[/snapback]</div>

Trey,

It is a blast isn't it. We sold our Durango R/T to get the car, and I must say that so far I have had more fun with it than I ever had with any other new car... I even got to teach my wife how to drive it... and she liked the fact that we spent the time together and have fun just driving it at the Rose Bowl Parking lot. We saw another Prius couple there doing the same thing and waved at each other every time we passed.... :)

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noperfecto @ Aug 23 2006, 06:04 PM) [snapback]308540[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, you probably did better than most bikers. Most of those cruisers get surprisingly bad gas mileage. Some of them have engines that aren't much smaller than the Prius' and some actually have a bigger engine.

7. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noperfecto @ Aug 23 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]308540[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations on your trek! Hope you had time to take in the Corn Palace, after all that time! :lol:
    My folks are just a bit NE of there, on the MN/SD line, plus I've been on a few trips out west, so I've been on a good part of your path. Reaching Mitchell is definitely a milestone along I-90, not many others around there :p

I just got back from a trip of 1300 miles, from Chicago to back home in northern Minnesota. Didn't see any Prii after central WI. I got 55 mpg overall, but I have a few more miles on the Prius, so it's starting to break in. Just like people said, the MPG seems to have improved 5%-10% right at 5K miles. And I drafted some semis occasionally, but I stayed a good 5 car lengths back, and only when traffic was moving steadily.

8. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am leaving my current job at the end of Sept, and out to start over in SoCal. I have sold my house and am ready!

I am thinking before I start a new job, of doing a major road trip in my Prius (what better car to do one?) from CA to the east coast- Florida/ NY. I think it would be so awesome to finally see more of the states, and maybe stop and meet some cool Prius folk. If I decide to do this, I will definatley keep an ongoing post on here to let people see my progress and post constant pics...

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove 10,000 km last summer from the West coast to Ottawa and back. We camped most of the way, and sometimes stayed with friends and family. The car was awesome, and cost $500 return for gas. My favourites were early mornings, when I'd leave my not-morning-people family snuggled in their beds and go wandering. I'd find a quiet spot with a view, and watch the world come to life. Dawn is far more beautiful than most of us will ever know.