1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius values

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by terry brecheen, Jul 13, 2015.

1. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have the Prius resale values greatly diminished over the last year?. I was looking at a Honda Accord this past weekend and curious to how much they would allow for my 2012 Prius Five with Advance Technology package with 54,000 miles on it.There is not even the slightest door ding on it.The car is immaculate. They offered me 10,000 dollars. I almost spit in his face. I left in a rage and about 10 minutes later someone from the dealer called and said they would offer 13,000 if I came back right then. Is it possible a 35,000 dollar prius only worth 10-13 thousand dollars after 3 years with 54,000 miles on it? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Terry Brecheen - When negotiating with a car dealer, it is not about how much your 2012 Prius is "Worth," but, rather, its "Trade In Value." Dealers like to make money on both ends. They always severely under value your Trade In vehicle, and jack up the price of the car that you dealing with them to buy, via "Sucker Sticker Extras" and hidden bonus "Kick Backs" from the Regional Distributor and/or the Corporation.

For the most part, the premium multiple $1,000s extra you paid for the Five Level, the ATP package, and any other options are of marginal "Trade In Value" at the "Blue Book Level."

It is the "Out-The-Door" price differential paid after your "Trade In Value" number is plugged into the deal. Good Luck & Happy Dealing.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your car is worth around $20k if you sell it yourself

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your car's street value is about $20k. (EDIT: make that about 15K.....sorry!)

This is due to many factors at present including cheap gas, your trim level and mileage, and the fact that everybody is drooling over the new G4s that are going to be out in the next year.

The biggest problem you have with your G3 is the fact that it's over optioned.
    You can get a brand spanking new Prius without some of electronics for a little over 20k, and technology is cheap.
    Adaptive cruise, lane departure, b/u cameras,auto park are all neat, but technology has a short shelf life, and anything with a motor in it (car, boat, home, motorcycle, etc.) isn't exactly what you would call a good investment.

If you just HAVE to smell that new car smell again sell your car on Craig's list, eBay, etc.
    If you're still making payments on it consider driving it a little longer and paying it off, otherwise you may lose a little ground every time you "trade up" only to find yourself driving a $50,000 Kia with a nine-year note ten years from now.

GM and Apple are famous for this:
    Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck!

#4 ETC(SS), Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, low gas prices have greatly diminished prius values. my $30,000. pip now has a $13,000. trade in value, in perfect condition with 32,000 miles.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just checked used prices on Craigslist and yup $13k is about right for trade in. You might get another $2k if you sold yourself. Pretty depressing, I know. The main reasons for this is low gas prices. Lots of people have short term memory and are dumping fuel efficient vehicles for SUVs again. It's supply and demand.The second reason is you bought the top of the line model. It's akin to owning the most expensive home in the neighborhood. People just aren't willing to pay a lot more when they can get substantially the same for less.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius five with atp is worth more cause you don't find those everyday

8. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeh, I know it sucks doesn't it? My 2005 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner that I traded in four years ago is worth even more today than when I traded it in. Love my Prius but I feel like I'm stuck with it.

9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I too was totally disgusted on the trade value I was offered at multiple dealerships a couple years back when I traded in my 2013 trim level three Liftback, Especially after being told over and over how the Prius, and toyotas in general hold their value like no other. It was a mistake trading it in. I should have kept it and drove it till it died.

I believe if my memory serves me correctly we ended up trading it at the same dealership we bough it at who offered us the best trade value and we went for a RAV4 that we leased, which we traded out of early due to atrocious mpg (17 mpg) for a 4 banger, and now the wife's driving a Prius v, and I have my Persona so we are all happy finally.

But alas as stated above low gas prices, low demand, big discounts on the new ones on the lot, etc equals low trade values :(

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't check CL but KBB gives me 20k resale value in 90505 zip code. Note that regional differences do exist, but yeah, trade-in values are by definition a robbery. My PiP has a resale value of 21k, dealer was willing to give me 16k to trade in, what a joke.

However your mileage is pretty damn high for a 3-year-old car.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what did you pay before ttlr?

#11 bisco, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  12. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Lensovet you are absolutely correct. It looks like on the west coast Prius values are holding up pretty well. Most dealers don't know a Prius five from a Prius two. The ones that do know are the one looking for a five and the ones who have them.

13. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    for my PiP? Like 27k.

14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    They wanted to rob you. That's my opinion. One year ago I got $16,000 trade in for my 2011 Prius Two with 48,000 miles on a trade in for a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring.

15. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    West Coast Prius prices are holding up well because on the left coast gas prices right now are sky high.

lensovet likes this.