1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius veering to left and tilted to front passenger

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kindke, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    2017 prius, had a few nails in left side tyres so had 3 tyres replaced last week, 4th tyre which is front driver side remained as is.

Since 3 tyre's replaced car is slightly pulling to left ( in UK so driver seat is on left. I.E. car is drifting to side with *new* front tyre. )

Ive also noticed when traveling at over 30mph the left passenger side seems tilted down alot more than my side.. when looking at car stationary on flat surface it seems both sides level, so this is strange why its only tilting when driving. Ive checked air pressure in all tyres thats fine.

None of the small mechanics ive taken the car too will touch it because "hybrid". So im faced with taking it to toyota dealer and being charged extortionate fees, they quoted £150 just to "investigate"

Just wondering if anyone knows what problem might be. The suspension seems fine when going over bumps etc, it might need wheel alignment but could that be the cause of the car tilting downwards to left when at speed?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the drivers seat is on the right?

i would put a matching tyre on the remaining wheel, pump them up to 28psi and see how it feels.
    an alignment is always a good idea after replacing tyres.
    how many miles on the old tyre?

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'll ask the obvious question, and likely the answer is already known. The new tires aren't smaller diameter than your existing front-right?

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Since when ?
    When I was there, you drove on the left and the drivers seat and steering wheel was on the RIGHT.
    :)

The obvious answer is: Your new tires are not exactly the same as the one old one that remains.

Regardless, I would not have done just 3/4 of a complete job like you did.
    Get that 4th tire and see what happens.

The other obvious answer is:
    Take it back to the place that sold you the three tires.
    Tire monkeys do all kinds of dumb stuff, like maybe putting on 2 tires of one size and the 3rd of a different size.

5. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    why 28psi? I pumped front to 41 and rear to 39 ( trying to get good mpg )

I will double check but ofcourse im certain tyres are all of same size and yes I guess it makes sense to put the last tyre on , No idea how many miles where on last tyre as it came with car. little bit worn but still had decent amount of tread depth although I didnt measure it

AND oh yeh typo driver seat on right in UK. duh

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, and typo on 28. i meant 38 :p

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd swap FR and FL tyres - and see if it pulls the other way.