1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius versions New Zealand style

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bteam, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Bteam

Bteam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's all a nomenclature issue. Since this site is US-centric we refer to the "Classic" Prius as released in the US as Gen I (what's shown as Gen II on your chart), Then the '04-'09 model as the Gen II, and the current Prius as Gen III. Since Japan was the only place with a Prius, and one that was little more than a Prototype (my opinion) we tend to discount it here. Many refer to it as the Mark I Prius as well.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same over here in the UK. The gen1 or classic 2000-2003 was the first official Prius sold here. Then there was the gen2 2004-2009 and the gen3 2009- (known as the 2010 in the USA).

The original Prius 1997-1999 is widely available over here as a Japanese import with the price artificially high for a 10 year old car because it is eligible for free access to the inner London Congestion Charge area - normally £8 a day. This ruling changes June 2011 and I predict a glut of these old Prii hitting the second hand market. Might be tempted to get one just for fun if the prices are cheap enough.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No English-language repair documentation, no spare parts, the DTC cannot be read with OBD-II code readers...sounds like a nightmare to me.

I would say that Classic (model years 2001 - 2003) is just one or two steps beyond being a science experiment. The original Prius sold only in Japan was truly at the science experiment level.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd call the 1997-2003 version the first generation with the 2001-2003 the midlife updated version that the rest of the world got. (No different from the Fit or Mazda2 that we got here that are midlife updates when they were first released).

The Gen1.5 had a few notable upgrades... the battery was switched to NiMH and the engine output raised to 67hp as well as the MFD gained touchscreen capability.