1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Vs Airborne Rock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Helio, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So we're traveling down I-70 East in downtown Columbus Tuesday night when BANG! What the heck was that? We had just passed some debris that looked like concrete in the highway but I was sure I missed it but the BANG was definitely felt and heard. We get home and park 'er in the garage and ouch! Fist sized dent and gouge on the rear of the passenger front door and a chip out of the front of the rear door.
    The next day I look at it in the daylight and can't figure out how the rock hit. No scuffs on the tires or rims and the bottom of the car has no marks or scuffs whatsoever. So I'm a little stumped. It seems from the marks that the rock was on a down trajectory but we were between two bridges and the next car in front of us was at least a couple hundred feet in front and no one to the side of us.
    But, no one was hurt and it's only $50 out of my pocket and some inconvenience when I take it in.
    Kudos to State Farm for taking care of this so quick and easy!

Attached Files:

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $50 out of pocket? Who you insured with?
    That's a big dent from a rock!
    I suspect the rock you drove near was the last rock the dirtbag threw.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ouch! A couple feet further north and that might have hurt a lot more. Glad no one was hurt and it's an easy fix.

-Chap

4. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's what I was thinking, Pat. If the rock came from below the gouge would travel the other way, plus there is no damage anywhere else. If I had hit that with my wheel, wow there would be some damage underneath! I'm just glad it didn't strike up two feet and over 6 inches, that's where my Honey was sitting.

Oh, and State Farm Auto Insurance.

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like you were lucky, had that hit your windscreen, who knows what could have happened.

It's very scary to think there are mindless idiots who think it is fun to drop concrete blocks off motorway bridges onto the passing cars and trucks here in the UK . I guess it happens else where in the world. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, so I am hoping your rock was just some freak accident.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Columbus, huh? Maybe it was this guy or his kid. [See
    enclosing directory for explanation]
    _H*

7. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it was Prius-envy.

Took the car to Tanksy Collision. Very nice people! $812 to fix, I pay $50. They didn't have any rentals available (they were going to give me a Prius for $30/day but later called me back and said they made a mistake and it was already signed for) so they arranged for Enterprise to meet me at the repair shop and stated I still get a car for $30/day.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the deductible on the "comprehensive" component of his auto insurance policy.

I think that in most, if not all, states in the US, $50 deductible is the lowest deductible (and most expensive to buy) you can get for comprehensive insurance.

But all it takes is a phone call to change the deductible on one's insurance ... which can make things very interesting.

9. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My $50 deductible comprehensive coverage costs me about $120/yr. I have no idea how that compares to others. The Liability Coverage is appx. $400 and the $500 deductible Collision is appx. $275. Personally, I think the latter two are a bit expensive.

10. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Car back home tonight. Super nice job! Can't see the difference, can't feel the difference. Tansky Collison has my vote!

11. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I must recant my vote for Tansky's Collision and while I'm at it, Tansky Sawmill Toyota since that's "where the decisions come from."
    When I picked up the car in February of 2009 it was raining so I didn't notice the flaws, but hey, no big deal, things happen. There were pin holes in the paint and what looked like white over spray covered by clear coat on the rocker and I didn't even notice the running clear coat on the rear door. So about a month later I got bumped in the rear bumper and it pierced the paint so I took it back to Tansky's and they said they'd fix the previous flaws while the Prius is in getting the bumper fixed, no problem. Sweet, these guys are great! I pick up the car three days later and they "forgot" to fix the problem. Hey, no big deal, right? I still have the rental car, they can keep the Prius till it's done and they'll take over the rental charges till it's finished. I'm ok with that, they're ok with that, everything's cool.
    So I pick up the car three days later and it's all done...except for the over-spray on the rocker, no problem. They take the car back inside buff it out and all looks pretty good, just needs a wash. Let me add I also received two calls from Enterprise in those three days stating they hadn't received the car back and the insurance company only approved 3 days. I explained the situation to them the first time and made the appropriate calls to Tansky to say they needed to call Enterprise and I was assured both times they would.
    So a month later I find a $75 charge to my bank acct for those three days and have notified them and basically nothing done. Now the say too much time has elapsed and they can only offer me a $75 service credit. Yeah right! As if I'm going to take my car to a place that can't even get it right. I will say the back bumper turned out great, but that's it. The rear door still isn't right. Plus they got clear coat over-spray inside the car.

So if you live in Columbus, Ohio do not take your wounded Prius to Tansky's.

At this point I really don't feel like going through a lot of work for the $75, but they irked me and it's now about the principle of the matter.

Seriously guys, you lost a customer over $75 that you agreed was yours to take care of, plus all the people I tell NOT to go there. Dumb.

p.s. they like to use double-sided sticky tape to put trim back on that they break.

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hate to see these threads. Makes me cringe. Especially since you have the same car as me.

Think I need to lie down.

13. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Got my $75 back. Amazing what detailed documentation of all communication from the time a problem starts will get you. A detailed complaint to the Better Business Bureau solved this one. Where's my, "That was easy!" button?