1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. American Technology in the Last 10 Years

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by twittel, Jan 17, 2011.

1. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    (From a (private) auto industry email post): According to Sheryl Connelly, Manager of Global Trends and Futuring at Ford, advancements in the last 10 years in American automotive technology include:

Infotainment: web connectivity

Entertainment: music
    Taking out the guesswork: self-parking, backup cameras, auto wipers, etc.
    Accident avoidance:
    Fuel economy: EPA MPG's improved from 19.8 mpg to 22.5 mpg
    Built-in navigation:
    Creature comforts:
    Customization: lights, interior configs, paints
    Security:
    Paint colors:

IMO, all the above is "smoke and mirror" options that don't compete with Prius driveline technology, MPG's, emissions and more. The American auto industry has seldom had more than "smoke and mirrors" to offer the American consumer. Look at Ford's Fusion/Focus commercials and you'll immediately see they're trying to sell the car on "bells and whistles" rather than efficient drivelines, MPG's, emissions and all the other stuff that Prius has touted these past years! It's no wonder the U.S. auto industry needed to be "bailed out" by Uncle Sam, though Ford turned-down the bail-out offer.

Maybe the Chevy Volt will be the spark to turn the American Auto Industry to global competitiveness, but at $40,000 MSRP, I don't think so.

Good grief, I spent 30 years in the American auto industry from retail to manufacturing and not much has changed (IMO). Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I did scrap my Taurus for a new Prius. That's got to count for something.

Happy Motoring,
    Tom

2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who cares about the Prius dirveline technology and great MPG's??? What really counts is that Ford has a radio that works really well.....................

I'm sure Ford is working on advanced new safety features like "Auto-Texting" which would allow your new Ford to automatically send text messages, so you don't have too. Who couldn't live without a car that sends messages to your friends and family stating critically important info like:

"Am travlng on Main st aproching 2nd st @ 52 mph. only hav 2gal of gas & shud stop at chevron, on left"

Keith :) :) :)

3. Speedracer0284

Speedracer0284 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm curious see to see how Detroit's hybrids hold up in the 100k range in terms of overall mileage. If the answer is bad, you will see alot of these on used car lots for under 10k.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was a little surprised to pull $18.5k in resale from my 2009 pack5, granted it was pristine with only 15k miles, but still, couple ads in paper show can get a few 2010 II's brand new for just under $20k.

Prius has an ace in the hole for resale - Fuel economy. The couple that bought my 2009 said they heard gas may hit $5 again in 2012.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess they mean the "Sync". I have been doing CarPC's for a long while and it is no where near what we can do. I wouldnt count this yet. Not to mention lots of other manufacturers have been implementing it much better in their prototypes.

The dot matrix style radio is surely and improvement over the full colour 800x480 resolution screen in either of our Toyota/Lexus cars... :rolleyes:

Was it not the Japanese and Germans that came up with rain sensing wipers in the early 90's? Same with backup cameras, automatic parking (although always a gimmick), radar collision detection, radar cruise control, lane following/keep assist...

At least they are trying. Oh wait, it was a federal mandate that required them to do so.

Probably some of the silliest things they could mention. Paint? Seriously? Sure their blue may be #0000FF, but our blue is #0000FE! Totally different...

And it seems like it was the Scion brand name that started the mass customization of vehicles from the factory. You get a single price, and then you pick all the little details you want.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tom, most people most of the time don't care about fuel economy. Everyone who complained about their commuting costs when gas hit its high saw the EPA numbers on the sticker before they bought the car.

The sizzle sells the steak. It's how people buy things & that's not going to change.

If the "smoke & mirrors" didn't matter then Toyota would just be making Prius I & they would be flying off the lots.

Look at the grousing here. We don't marvel that the "bells & whistles" exist at all or work as they do. We complain that the 1 door SKS isn't convenient & lament that it even exists. We complain that the USB port is not as universal as the one on the computer. We complain about the accuracy & utility of the NAV unit. Why isn't it on a hard drive or flash memory & easily (and cheaply) upgraded by a transfer through the USB?

45 years ago seat belts were "bells & whistles". Then airbags were "bells & whistles" as well as ABS. At what point does a feature become a necessary or desirable safety enhancement? Drivers aren't going to improve so the features in the car have to pick up the slack.

Why do we still have side mirrors & blind spots? Where's the cameras? Why doesn't the PCS & RCC stop the car?

In defense of the American automobile industry we've had our share of innovations. Some have become so common for so long that we forget they were invented. Olds had one of the 1st assembly lines. Cadillac was the 1st with interchangeable parts ( Inventions: Interchangeable parts).

7. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    GM's paint on the 2000 Intrigue IMO is "better" than Toyota's paint on my Prius.

Chevy tail lights were customizable in the 1950's.

8. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope Ford can come up with autotexting while walking, THAT'S really dangerous.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

10. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tony, (lol) (pre-collision system announcement) "...in the unlikely event of a water landing, Ford's airbag system acts as a life perserver...!"

Sorry, y'all, but this is just getting better every moment.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does Ford get any credit for their hybrid drivetrain or is it too close of a copy of Toyota's ?

12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not a copy of Toyota's. It ended up being part of a cross licencing deal which included some truck technology.

1 person likes this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's becoming an interesting wake-up call. Lessons were not learned from previous major efforts falling short, like Two-Mode.

Specifics from Volt include the both electric-range & engine-efficiency being less than expected, along with the emission-rating disqualifying it from privledges which were assumed to be easily achieved... not to mention a price much higher than hoped.

How much of a difference between hype & reality are consumsers willing to accept? Some type of backlash could be on the way.

15. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Chevy Volt managers knew they would get federal help on the pricing, to the tune of $7500 of my tax dollars. They saw it as a chance to make up some money. With out the fed help I dont see any way the Volt will stay.

On the safety front, Tire pressure monitoring has been around a long time, Chevy has had since late 90's on Vettes, a good safety improvement, The big 3 would not put it in all cars until a federal mandate, It was not expensive.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it weren't for toyota, we probably wouldn't be talking hybrids at all. :rockon:and if it weren't for foreign competition, we'd probably still be driving something like the old 70's junk boxes.:cool: course, gm, ford and chrysler would all be in great financial condition.:rolleyes:maybe the dems would have raised mpg's and emission standards if they could have gotten them past the pubs.:eek:

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity - Hybrid Electric Vehicles has two FEHs that hit the 160K mile mark. The two FFHs are well on their way to the 100K mile mark.

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Might be a worthwhile comment, except the paint process Toyota uses is licensed from a GM patent, and probably very close to the same paint process....

19. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But isn't the hybrid model Toyota employs an American invention? Toyota merely implemented it. Its not American ingenuity nor engineering that is the problem, but the management.

1 person likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right on, brother.:rockon: but the point is, toyota decided to make the car of the future. and they searched the world over for the very best ideas they could find. then, they put it all together and took a huge risk in the process. that's what the japanese do best. we don't like risk, and have limited vision when it comes to management, marketing and wall street.:(