1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbermanmd, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am in search of some help here. Let me set the stage...

I put a deposit down on a '06 Prius 3 months ago. I just became aware of the 2007 Camry Hybrid due out soon. This car is going to be added to the family fleet but will be used mainly by my 20 year old son at college - he goes to school near us so it will find other users including myself (I drive about 55 miles per day back and forth to work). We buy and hold on to our cars until they are too expensive to hold on to - we have a '00 Audi A6 that is going to eventually be let go after the extended warranty expires next year if it continues to visit the dealership for repairs at the same rate it has during the past two years.

So, what would you guys do? I understand that there may not be enough information on the Camry hybrid yet, but give it your best shot. Important considerations for me,
    1. Do you think there is going to be any significant differences in vehicle safety?
    2. Do you think there is going to be a significant difference in vehicle price?
    3. Are you worried at all about a first year new hybrid model?
    4. Is the difference in size of the vehicles significant in your opinion? I think in part refers back to #1.

Are there any other factors and/or thoughts that should be considered in this decision making process?

I appreciate any and all input. Thank you in advance for your help.

David

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. The Camry adds some extra air bags. I believe VSC is optional...but should be purchased.

Probably not much. But, getting the Prius early this year, if you qualify for the tax credit, will probably save you a little over the Camry. I think this question depends a lot upon what options you intend to get.

Not in the least. This is now proven technology incorporated into at least 3 other vehicles in the US Toyota line-up (Lexus RX400h, Highlander Hybrid, Prius).

No. Exterior size is larger but interior is nearly identical with the added versatility of the hatch back for the Prius and the added interior comfort features for the Camry.

If your college student will be the main driver I, personally, would choose the Prius. Better fuel economy, more versatile, smaller exterior that'll be easier to park, more 'hip' for a college student.

If this were going to mainly be a car for you and you drove longer distances (say 25miles +) to/from work daily or planned to take longer trips in the car then I'd probably suggest the Camry hybrid for it's comfort and styling.

3. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Camry will be slightly bigger, heavier, get less gas milage, and I assume a bit costlier. The only reason to get one is if you expect to frequently have three people in the back seat and luggage for them. The Camry may be a bit safer only because it is bigger and heavier. The Prius is the better choice in my opinion and I believe that the Prius will continue in the future to be Toyota's flagship of hybrid economy perfomance and be the only car model that is hybrid only. If you want to be part of the revolution go with the real thing.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Excellent input. I find it remarkable in that the interior room won't be that different between the two models - and the hatch certainly makes the car more versatile and will help when he moves out of the dorms at the end of each semester.

David

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look at this page for a comparison of dimensions and other features:

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would guess none. All the airbags and VSC are already options on a Camry
    Not sure, if they go the way of Honda with the Accord Hybrid, putting almost everything in the base model, including things like leather and XM radio, Yes. Otherwise, I GUESS they will be similar.
    No, it will use basically the same systems Toyota has been refining for many years. I wouldn't touch the first model year hybrid from any manufacturer that just started developing them.
    There is VERY LITTLE size difference. Camry has 0.6 cu ft more luggage space. Prius has MORE leg room, front and rear. Camry is a little wider in the hip/shoulder room dimensions and has 1 inch more rear head room. Prius is a foot shorter - easier to park!
    For me or you? :)
    • I REALLY hope Toyota follows the Prius design with a small 4 cyl boosted by electric rather than the Honda Accord model of V6 with electric boost. Does anyone REALLY need a 7.0 second 0-60 MPH instead of 7.1 seconds? The hybrid system in the Accord is mostly a waste. 10% MPG savings by not idling at stops, the rest from cutting out 3 cylinders when not needed. Same engine available on non hybrid Odysseys. The fact that they can run the car on 3 cyls suggests their design is backwards. The electric boost is NEVER really needed for anything. We all do just fine with 10.3 seconds and I'll bet most have never had a need or desire to test it. The worst tank mileage I ever got was in the depths of 2 weeks of -20F to +9F last January and was still better than the HAH will EVER get.
    • Will the rear seats in the Camry fold into the cabin (and fold FLAT)? The original Prius (sedan) did not fold, the HAH and HCH's seats still do not fold AT ALL. Loses WAY too much functionality.
    • Will the Camry's shotgun seat fold flat back like it does on the Prius? MAJOR useful design point. 8' lumber easily fits inside my Prius with room to spare and the hatch closed.
    • Will it have the touch screen and backup camera?
    • Will they have SKS? I'm SO used to it, I left the keys in the igition of my wife's car when I had to borrow it Monday. I also tried to start it by pushing on the dash. Didn't work.

7. kente777

kente777 New Member

Based on what the car would be used for, I'd definitely recommend the Prius. There is nothing wrong with the interior roominess if you decide to take a trip with four people and some luggage. The Prius will get better gas mileage too.

Ken

8. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This Camry vs. Prius will be interesting long term. They are both midsize cars. Over time it would be logical for one model to disappear, any predictions?

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That didn't work like I'd hoped...
    Try THIS PAGE and enter any trim for Camry and then Prius then see the various dimensions and such. The exact Camry dimensions may change a little, but it won't be much.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If one model disappears it will probably be Prius. But I doubt and hope that doesn't happen for at least one more generation of improvement in the HSD system.

I wonder if they'll evolve the Prius to be their first FCEV eventually..again, as the test base before integration into other models.

11. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Something I wonder about sometimes. If Toyota offers HSD on all it's cars, they might not offer the Prius anymore...I hope not anyway.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been addressed. Camry will use a 2.4L 4 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine with an eye toward fuel economy.
    Doubt it
    Yes to all.

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Open the hood of both cars and you'll see why the Camry can be quite a bit larger outside but only slightly larger inside. :)

14. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yea! I haven't been keeping up, sorry. With a 2.4 it won't get Prius mileage but it should beat the heck out of a HAH.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Predicted at 43City/37Hwy.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    with 0-60 under 8 secs so V6-like acceleration. 192hp, 40mpg combined average.

check out my thread under "2007 Camry/Camry Hybrid Revealed!", I've posted some standard features on the Camry Hybrid. I've also posted pictures in another thread.

It's possible that the new Camry will be larger inside than the Prius. The reason is that even though the length is more or less similar to the current version, its wheelbase has been stretched 2 extra inches. This gives abuot 1.5" more rear legroom.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota has repeatedly stated that they want to increase marketshare. So eliminating the only hatchback they offer would be counterproductive, especially since it is such a popular vehicle.

The unique size, shape, and efficiency of Prius will keep it around for awhile. The fact that it has been accepted as a vehicle to debut new high-tech goodies with is another strong endorsement for keeping it.

18. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

No, both cars are very safe.
    Yes, the base Camry Hybrid will be $5000 or $6000 more than the base Prius. But it has some things standard like SKS and side curtain airbags that are options on the Prius so it's more fair to say it's $4000-5000 more.
    Not at all, it's proven technology.
    Well the seats are fully adjustable electric, which effectively increases room for the driver, but otherwise they should be similar, though perhaps with more headroom in the Camry. The car does weigh 500 pounds more though.
    The Camry Hybrid gets about 72% the gas mileage of the Prius, so if you get 50 in the Prius, you might get 36 in the Camry Hybrid. But its more powerful engine usually means it's more tolerant of acceleration or fast driving speeds. Still, I'd expect 35-38 for most people, with the spread being as wide as 30-40. Not nearly Prius-like, though the 17.1-gallon tank, which is not a bladder, will make the car's range longer than that of a Prius.

19. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My wife and I had originally planned for our next car to be a Camry Hybrid since it would have more room than the Prius. After setting in some 05 and 06 Camry's, I am not just if there is that much of a difference in room. The trunk in the Camry is huge, but you get the hatchback versatility with the Prius. From the two cars, the main difference in size seems to be there is more legroom in the front of the Camry, but more legroom in the backseat in the Prius.

I for one would expect the Camry Hybrid to be several thousand more than the Prius, but I could be wrong.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true for the current Camry. The new Camry has 30mm more rear legroom (according to the preview picture released on a Japanese website)