1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius vs camry

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drdorann, Jul 25, 2006.

1. drdorann

drdorann New Member

Hi All,

Any thoughts on if there are any advantages to buying the new Camry Hybrid vs the Prius?

Thanks.............................. : :)

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the camry is a better car. It's quicker, has all the same features, handles better, better sound system, even better suspension. I recommend changing the tires out asap though.

On the flip side the prius is more versatile. You can put bikes in it.. tools.. lumber.. large house waterheaters, and much much more. Plus.. you get higher mph.

After all, the new camry is basically the Lexus 350 ES... same suspension.. same.. well.. everything. lower price.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jul 26 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]292635[/snapback]</div>
    The Camry (hybrid) doesn't have the storage space of the Prius, or even the non-hybrid camry. I don't know why they bothered to include a folding rear seat, as access is blocked between the trunk and rear seats (for the most part).

Also the ES350 has a much, much, much, much nicer interior than the Camry.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jul 26 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]292635[/snapback]</div>
    Which tires did you mean? My friend has a hybrid Camry and his came with Bridgestone Turanzas; I saw a new one at the dealer earlier this week and it had Michelin MXV4s.

5. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorann @ Jul 25 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]292358[/snapback]</div>
    I considered both--actually, I was going to get the Camry at first. Then I thought, if I'm going to get a bybrid, I might as well go all the way.

Between the two, the Camry has luxury/accelerateion, while the Prius has fuel economy. Note that many state programs that benefit hybrid owners (here in NY that's use of HOV lanes with a single passenger, and reduced rates on EZ Pass) currently only apply to the Prius and Civic hybrid (of all the '06 models--newer Insights don't qualify). You might want to see what your state offers in that regard.

As far as the luxury/acceleration issue, I went to the Prius after driving a Solara, and I'm not at all disappointed. I think if acceleration is a major issue, then maybe a hybrid isn't really your thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 26 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]292640[/snapback]</div>
    My previous car (a Solara) came with Potenza RE92s. When I had to replace two for an inspection (done at the dealer), they put the MXV4s on instead. I eventually replaced the other two with the MXV4s. I had an inpressive series of problems with sidewall bubbles from relatively minor potholes and not at great speeds. All four MXV4s had a bubble at some point; I replaced them with RE92s and had not a single problem after. Never a bubble with the RE92s, a sidewall bubble with every MXV4 on the car.

This is anecodotal of course, but there you are.

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I say you get better bragging rights with a Prius. And who needs to race to the next stoplight anyway?

I have a non-hybrid Camry, and yes, the fold-down seats are truly ridiculous, and no matter how hard I try to benefit from that hole between the trunk and the back seat, I just can't makeit work. Prius cargo space rocks! And I like the styling of Prius more.

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    my wife decided to get a hyCam instead of a 2006 Prius because:
    1. variety. I already have a Prius, so I'll trade it for the 2006 that I'd ordered for her and which comes in...this week! yay!
    2. heated seats in Camry. I could've added them aftermarket to the Prius, but...whatever. We live in MN, and she likes leather seats, so they have to be heated.
    3. sunroof. that's valid, I guess.
    4. I think she perceives the camry as a better overall car (smoothness, luxury, etc.). She's probably right, but I'll take the Prius and its additional 10 or so MPG, every gallon I burn!

8. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

I just want to throw in that Toyota took the hybrid technology in the direction of improved acceleration and excellent mileage. I think that it's the right way to go to attract the mainstream customers.

Performance freaks just won't have a choice but to go hybrid when you get both better mileage and better acceleration. The gas hoggers just won't have any excuses in a few years.

What I have read also suggests you can get a HyCam a lot quicker than a Prius in terms of waiting time.

9. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The synergy drive on the Camry has only one electric motor the Prius has two and because of it can charge battery while in EV Mode, Camry can only do one or the other. Why does the Camry have that huge shifter right in the way of the cup holder? Its not a mechanical connection so why isnt it a paddle on the Cruise control on the steering tree? This would free up space for a usable center console whith a usable armrest. while were ate it dont you prefere the Priuses quasi heads up display to having to look through the steering wheel to see the speedometer. Also the Prius seems to have about the same leg room in the as the Camry and did you happen to look under the hood at that monsterous exhasut manifold in the Cmary? Now thats ugly. IMHO the Prius blows the Cmary out of the water.

10. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mouztrpd @ Jul 26 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]292815[/snapback]</div>
    What led you to believe that the Hybrid Camry has only one electric motor?

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jul 26 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]292635[/snapback]</div>
    Having just ridden in my cousin's Camry Hybrid, let me add quieter, roomier, more comfortable and it has infinitely better seats.

12. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 26 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]292640[/snapback]</div>
    My two cents... (and slightly off topic) The Bridgestone Turanzas are CRAP. My Toyota Sienna van came with them, and they were shot within 20K miles. Search the web for tire reviews, and they will agree with my experience. I have had several sets of Michelins, and have not experienced any issues with them.

The Camry is a very nice car, and I briefly considered it instead of the Prius. My plan still remains to buy a Prius. (That is, if my car will *ever* get here! Should be in port by now, but have not heard diddly from the dealer)

13. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mouztrpd @ Jul 26 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]292815[/snapback]</div>
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devprius @ Jul 26 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]292823[/snapback]</div>
    I'm also very curious where the heck that belief originated from.

Camry-Hybrid is most definitely a "full" hybrid. That means two electric motors and a device allowing them to interact with an engine.

15. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We own both.

Wife Camry Hybrid, me the Prius.

She is getting an average of 37.7 MPG versus 46.1 for me on the same roads and driving habits. The Camry Hybrid is more luxurious and has more bells and whistles. She has a sunroof, I don't. She has Bluetooth standard, I don't. The inside of her car looks more high end, mine is, well a Prius. I have a bike hitch rack on my Prius, she doesn't.

I would never buy a Camry Hybrid. Not the car for me. I need a hatchback. I need the hitch rack/bike rack. I need the ability to bring home mulch, and flowers, and maybe some lumber. My wife doesn't.

So it really boils down to what do you want to do with your car????? The Prius totally fits my life style and the Camry Hybrid fits my wife's life style.

You can't really go wrong with either, BTW. They are both great cars.

16. bsoft

bsoft New Member

Both are excellent vehicles. We have a Prius (currently in the shop because I crashed it), neighbors have a brand-new Camry Hybrid.

Pros for the Camry:
    • More powerful (although the Prius is fine, even on hills)
    • Larger
    • Better seats (subjective; I like the Prius seats)
    • Hard-buttons for climate control (Prius touchscreen can be annoying)
    • Real instrument cluster (subjective; many like the digitial readout on the Prius)
    • Available sunroof
    • Less "wierd"
    Pros for the Prius:
    • Better fuel economy (approx. 45-55 mpg vs. 35-40 mpg)
    • Less expensive (our Prius with nav and everything was cheaper than the low-end Camry hybrid that our neighbors purchased - do note, however, that the Camry hybrid base package is better configured than the low-end Prius)
    • Quasi-HUD digital dashboard (it's really cool!)
    • Unique appearence
    Just don't get the Saturn Vue Green Line "Hybrid" :D.

17. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

The Hybrid Camry most positively comes with two motors; MG1 & MG2 just like the Prius does. The Camry's motors are larger & more powerful. In fact, the THC has a second planetary gear set that the Prius does not, which reduces MG2's RPM when necessary for more efficient torque & power characteristics.

I have been very tempted to buy a THC but, I am totally enamored by the Prius' overall superiority in mileage & have finally decided that my next vehicle will be another Prius. I think my wife is going to get the THC though so, I will get to enjoy both.

It may be a long time before I get the next Prius as I am very intrigued to see just how many miles I can put on this 2004. I have a little over 120,000 miles & my front disc brake pads & rotors still look new. I haven't even lost a single light bulb yet!

At 100,000 miles I replaced the spark plugs but, as I removed them, I could tell that I really didn't need to be replacing them yet but, I had them, I was there & so, I went ahead & finished replacing them. I am on my third set of tires & other than that, I have only replaced oil & filters on the car. Even the serpentine belt has not yet been replaced but, I will probably do that soon just to ease the concerns my mind keeps fabricating over the issue; the belt actually looks very good still.

What an incredible vehicle the Prius is!

Wayne – http://privatenrg.com

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I test drove both.... and really prefered the Camry..... Then I went home and thought about it.... Bought the Prius. Couldn't be happier!

19. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 27 2006, 02:17 AM) [snapback]293055[/snapback]</div>
    That is what I thought too. And then I feel in love with "wierd."

:blink:

20. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 27 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]293491[/snapback]</div>

Weird is different. Weird is good.