1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs Deer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OrlandoGuy, Oct 26, 2008.

1. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok..after 23,000 miles, Dear Prudence, my 2008 package 6 was hit by a deer.

I was going 25 mph and this dear came out of nowhere and ran into the side of the car.

Lucky for me the car has only very minor damage...a small scratch that I think will buff out around the right side rear door handle...and 2 small dents on the right side A pillar. Lucky for me i have the clear paint protection film on the A posts as that is where the abrasion was and so no paint damage on the pillar.

My question is this...should the post be fixed? as in...does it present a safety issue?

2. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And the deer is . . . dead? Did you make sure? Don't leave us hanging!

3. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OOPS...sorry..the deer got up and ran off into the woods

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    animal strikes fall under 'comprehensive' and not 'collision' so your insurance company won't "raise your rates" or "count it against your renewal"

i put it in quotes because i heard some people got raised anyway.

just get it fixed and make sure you explain to the insurance company that it was an animal strike aka "an act of god" and get it fixed

on a side note, i think people that post attention getting headlines like 'prius vs deer' should be scolded for not posting pictures of said prius or said deer

5. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Can't take a picture of the deer...it took off fast. I attempted to take pictures of the A pillar and the dents can't be seen in pictures well.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no safety issue with cosmetic dents in the A pillar.

7. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, That was what I was worried about. The dents are so hard to see and the paint is good that I have to point out the areas before people 'see' them.

8. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Orlando has deer running around? I worry about this when I'm in northern Wisconsin for the summer, but Orlando? Not exactly where I would have thought to watch out for deer...

9. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, we do have deer and bears. Depending on where you live, they are quite common.

We also have big killer whales and a talking mouse.

10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should be happy it wasn't a killer whale that ran into you. That would have ruined your day.

Rob

11. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Georgia has a surplus of deer also, including the Atlanta fringe counties. We drove from Atlanta to St. Simons on the coast and saw numerous deer carcases along I-16 going into Savannah plus one live sighing. Fortunately we had no physical contact as I spotted it in time. With suburban development cutting into habitat and no natural predators other that automobiles collisions are very common here in the southeast.:eek:

12. pviebey

pviebey New Member

Well, isn't that strange! I live in Orlando too (well, Chuluota, by Oviedo, north of Orlando), and I had a deer run into the side of my car off 419. Slowed down to let other deer pass in front of me - and WHAM! Big impact in the driver side door. I have a picture of a deer running along saying 'hey watch me!' and running into my car...

Deer survived to run off, but based on the damage to the car, I'm not sure how well it will be doing. About $2300 of damage (because of my forward speed, big dent if door, with smaller dents in other panels).

Courtesy Toyota (office in Oviedo) fixed it better than new...

Told other folks, apparently it just happens...

pat

13. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We also have tons of deer, and bears..they are all over here....

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lotsa wildlife around here, too, though I wouldn't call them 'surplus', and they don't tend to hurl themselves at passing cars. Deer only have to look at people with their big brown eyes to get them to roll down the window and offer them food. If a big bear wants in, he'll just slice open the roof. :)

15. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Florida has fairly liberal gun laws. You should keep a gun handy to administer a quick coup de grace to hooved rats that have the temerity to run into the side of your Prius. Deer are really really dumb. One T-boned my Honda Prelude 1 1/2 year ago and did over $4000 in damage. He literally committed suicide on the side of the car when I was traveling 65mph and there was no way I could have avoided it, only saw him a nanosecond before the impact.