1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Matix vs. Tahoe (yes, really)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eyePod, Nov 26, 2009.

1. eyePod

eyePod Classic Silver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have recently owned a Tahoe (newest model) and a Nissan Murano 2009, and have just bought a Prius and a Matrix. Story short I used to live in snow and ice country and now live in costal So. Cal. The former cars did their jobs well, expecially since they were 4wd or awd. I never quite embraced the Murano because it is very powerful and expensive and I just wanted a daily driver. The Corolla Matrix is an incredibly comfortable car, just right for around town. The Prius, although not quite as driveable, is sooo easy on gas and has so much technology I just love it.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, lots of choices. Well enjoy the ride!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice collection. You'll always have the right vehicle for the occasion (now you just need a sports car to finish the lineup haha)

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Why didn't you take the money and buy a helicopter instead ?

5. web1b

web1b Active Member

I liked the Matrix and Vibe, but gas mileage is horrible for being so small. It's not a hybrid, so it can't have 50 MPG like a Prius, but come on!
    The Matrix really needs a 5 or 6 speed automatic with the smaller engine.
    Look at the MPG of the much bigger and heavier 2010 Chevy Equinox!!

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm curious about what you mean by "horrible for being so small"?

From Side-by-Side Comparison, here are the figures I see:
    2010 Matrix 4AT 1.8L engine: 25/31, 28 combined
    2010 Cobalt 4AT 2.2L engine: 24/33, 27 combined
    2010 Equinox 6AT FWD 2.4L engine: 22/32, 26 combined
    2010 Corolla 4AT 1.8L engine: 26/34, 29 combined [since the Matrix is based on the Corolla]
    2010 Civic 5AT 1.8: engine: 25/36, 29 combined

Can you name other currently sold gasoline powered non-hybrids in/around that same size class that get significantly better combined mileage?

edit: To add some more data points:
    Here's what Conusmer Reports got when they tested the following:
    2010 Equinox 2.4L 6AT AWD [they didn't test any FWD models]: 14/30, 21 mpg overall, 27 mpg for 150 mile trip
    2009 Vibe (twin of the Matrix) 1.8L 4 4AT: 21/36, 29 mpg overall, 34 mpg for 150 mile trip

7. muellerfilm

muellerfilm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About 18 months ago sold my wifes 2007 prius to my friend and was going to let my wife drive my 2008 Landrover sport till the 2010 prius was for sale, well she drove the landrover for one week and when she filled it up with gas she said I not driving that gets 15MPG.

So I looked for something new and cheap and I bought a ad car from the news paper. A 2009 toyota matrix 20k car got it for 14k and it was brand new with the small motor 1.8 and auto.

Mpg on the Matrix was not very good about 21 mpg around town and 25mpg on the hwy. It was a good solid car and it served as good interim car till we got the 2010 prius.

The resale value on the matrix was very good traded it in for more than
    I paid for it.

8. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Part of that great mileage is a very sophisticated direct injection system and engine management including variable valve timing. GM is good at getting HP and mileage from their engines. And, yes, the 6 speed helps, too.

9. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Your Prius will fit in very nicely driving on the PCH, and will become even more attractive looking at the gas station. I don't miss my Suburban (newest model) at all.

10. Acre

Acre New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need a Tesla!

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I rented a 2009 Matrix XRS and drove it about 250 miles, with continuous highway and city driving. I calc'd about 28.5 MPG average. A short sample all highway indicated it would get 30 MPG highway.

It had the 2.4L, FWD. XRS suspension was awfully firm though. I think they dumped XRS for 2010. S is more mainstream. Front and rear seat room does not match the 2010 Prius, but you could tow 1,500 lbs. with it.

12. web1b

web1b Active Member

You can get 30+ mpg on highway driving in many bigger V6 cars nowadays. That isn't much better than you can expect even in a V6 RAV-4. Even an Avalon might do better on a long highway drive.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not always about more gears. A 4-spd Corolla gets better mpg (at least in Canada) than the Civic w/ a 5-spd auto.

Hmm.. I checked what Cwerdna posted. It appears in the US, they're nearly identical. Weird.

The RAV4 AWD 2.5 litre w/ 4-spd matches the equinox in city mpg. That's pretty good. On the highway, it's down 4mpg. Part of it could be aerodynamics, part of it could be a shorter top gear ratio (w/ a 6-spd, you can really have a lazy 6th gear)

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And a whole lot of hunting up and down through the gears on an undulating road.

15. wjterry

wjterry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welciome to the fold...if you think the Prius is "not quite as drivable", the MPG will certainly ease the transition. I have been driving my '10 since July commuting 90 miles/day to/from work and have really settled into a fine running, good driving and very comfortable car. I'm 6'5", 225 lbs and was initially very worried about the creature comforts after stepping out of my beloved Tahoe, but no regrets so far.

16. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So have you paid off the Prius with your gas savings
    Wish I could take my Prius more often instead of my pick up, but ever time I take the Prius there is something I miss from the pick up,
    life when you work out of truck

17. wjterry

wjterry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was getting 18-19 MPG in the Tahoe and right at 50 now...what's that a +160% improvement? I'm happy...really happy with the car in all aspects.

18. eyePod

eyePod Classic Silver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The matrix just seems much more zippy and fun. I think it might be the gearing because it has the smaller 1.8L and I've noticed that after that initial off-the-line shot of adrenaline it gets sluggish in a hurry. Maybe I shouldn't say the Matrix is more "driveable" than the Prius, maybe better said "fun to drive". I cheaped-out and didn't buy a second Prius (not really that much difference in price), but after my wife filled up the first time wish I had gotten a second Prius. The Matrix has a better crash rating that the Prius.
    Glad to see other ex-Tahoe owners out there. The Tahoe is a great car for what it is, but economical and clean it is not.
    The Murano is really for someone who wants to go fast and have good pick-up on the freeway. That's just not me, I just don't value that.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Matrix is geared more "aggressively" than the Corolla in 1.8 litre form. I test drove a Corolla S and a Matrix Touring back-to-back (Canadian models). I noticed that doing the same passing manoeuvre, the Matrix downshifted to 2nd while the Corolla downshifted to 3rd only.

Well I'm sure the higher-geared-transmissions allowed skipping of gears (e.g. downshifting from 6th to 4th directly). I'd like to see how it is to live with the 8-spd automatic on the LS460 and IS-F. I drove the IS-F and frankly in manual mode, there were way too many gears. Merging onto the highway, I got up to 6th gear at 80km/h and it was sufficient.

20. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our collection:
    2010 Prius IV, leather and nav, wife's commuter car, 55 mpg
    2008 Lexus RX400h, nav, wife's old commuter, 28 mpg (good for a 4300# SUV)
    2001 BMW 330Ci convertible, 18 mpg (mostly around town, prob 23 highway)

The reason we got the Prius was was the cash for clunkers program. It had to be a hybrid and we didn't want to spend a lot. Our '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (14 mpg) was worth about $1700 on a trade but we got the $4500 in the C4C, that made the Prius a good deal.

Like Tideland said, you need a sporty rag-top for SoCal.