1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Pedestrian: car saved my life.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocVijay, Sep 19, 2007.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I've been wondering whether I should post this, as it is quite upsetting for me. I finally decided to do so, in order to praise the safety of the Prius. This only happened a week ago today, so it's still very hard to even type about it. I haven't had a decent night's sleep since then.

Here is a link to the news story on it. I'm not going to go into details, just on how well the Prius did. Read the story first, then read about the Prius.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/sep/14/me.../?news-breaking

First, keep in mind that it was raining quite hard that night. The median was about 40 feet wide, with a guard rail in the middle. The median is basically a shallow ditch, and there was about 8-12 inches of water at the very bottom. It was raining, so speeds were well below the 70 mph limit. The interstate was also quite crowded.

Anyway, I swerved hard to the left as soon as I saw them. The Prius swerved hard onto the shoulder and then the grass median. Because it was so wet, I slid for quite some distance, but I did not spin out or loose control. The entire time, while the situation was out of control, the car was not. It never felt as though it was going to spin or anything. I eventually came to a stop in the grass about 6 feet from the guard rail. You could see the tracks through the tall grass were quite straight. The traction control, ABS, and stability control all performed exemplary, especially considering the terrible conditions.

As far as I am concerned, these things probably saved my life. In fact, I was completely uninjured. I know that if I had been driving my previous car, an SUV with no such technologies, I probably would not be typing this now.

The damage is fairly extensive, but it is localized to the extreme right side of the car. I may not even need a new hood. the only thing I'm concerned about are the dents along the frame of the car above the doors. Don't know it's structural or not. The passenger side door does not open any more. The airbags did not go off, as you would expect from an offset impact. I don't know about damage to the internals, and I could not see the suspension to see if there was any damage there, but I doubt it. The headlight and fog light were still operational. I only got my car back from the State Troopers today, so I haven't spent much time going over it.

Hopefully I can get her fixed up soon, and have her back to normal.

BTW, if this seems very analytical and impersonal, it's because it helps me deal with it all. I tell myself there was nothing else I could do (no charges for any of the drivers involved), but it is still hard. It doesn't just go away that easily. If it weren't for my family and friends I'd probably be a complete mess.

Anyway, that's all. We should all feel good about driving such a safe car.

Attached Files:

2. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am very very sorry for your experience in this... glad that you are unhurt... but I can only imagine how shaken up you must be. Knowing myself, this would play through my mind over and over again... Thumbs up to the Prius for being such a safe car... Condolences to the girls' families for such a tragic event.

3. prius2go

prius2go Member

terrible
    equally terrible being in accident you can do nothing about
    condolences to relatives of pedestrians too
    :(

4. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I've sat here and read this a few times and still don't know the right words to say. I'm glad to hear you are not injured. I wish you the best in dealing with this tragedy.

Ken

5. prius2go

prius2go Member

that's one of the worst things - not being able to talk about it
    or finding that no one wants to talk to you about it
    the loneliness of silence........ :unsure:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow Bjorn, it took a lot of courage to share this. Be sure to take some time for yourself and your family to adjust to this, what a sad sad event for all, and so unnecessary.

7. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the women's friend said it best in the story "I don't know what she was thinking" to have run across the interstate highway during a rainstorm.

Even though it wasn't your fault, I know what happened was tragic and probably pretty traumatic for you, too. :(

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sorry for you and for all affected by this tragedy. Hope you pull through this ok.

9. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

Pedestrians have no business on highways.
    Sorry you had to suffer through this and thank God you're OK. The car did amazing! VSC is one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen. There was a great demonstration of the technology on TV a few months ago. Hard to believe what it does.

10. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

11. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What a sad and tragic story. I am sorry that it happened, but by being brave enough to post it you have helped all of us to realize that no matter how much in control we think we are, there are some things we just can't control. I am glad you are physically OK. Remember that we are always here for you, and I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not quite sure how to respond to this so here goes.

I'm glad to hear that you're okay. It was brave of you to post this especially after what had happened. I can only imagine how traumatic it is (regardless of who's fault it is) to have this happen.

It is amazing how much force there was on the vehicle. The A pillar has been ruffled all the way up to the top of the passenger door.

My condolences to the families of the decreased and my wish to you that you have the courage and strength to put this all behind you.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bjorn,

first, i'm glad to hear you are uninjured. obviously this was a horrible tragedy that was impossible to avoid. you did your best to avoid it, and that was all you could do.

your coping mechanism is similar to mind in really bad times. i understand completely. in fact, i don't know if i could even discuss it if i were in your shoes.

rely on those family and friends who care for you, and know we're behind you too here at PC.

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bjorn,

That is terrible, and please do not blame yourself or your car.

15. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

One of the most dangerous streets in the US for pedestrians is Las Vegas Blvd, AKA The Strip. Speed limit there is only 30 mph and drivers still can't avoid hitting jaywalkers. A bunch of pedestrians die every year and it's always the pedestrians' fault. Add to this RAIN and Highway Speeds and the element of surprise and the accident is absolutley unavoidable.

Stay strong, brother and "don't let the bastards bring you down!"

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    folks, our fellow PCer is going through what i can only imagine is a very difficult time. let's support him rather than criticize or be insensitive for something that simply could not be helped.

he didn't come here to take crap, nor should he expect it.

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Thank you everyone, for your words of support. I really, really appreciate it.

I don't mind what catgic posted. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know and most of you can easily figure out that his words have no foundation. They don't bother me.

He did ask a valid question though, "Why post here?" I actually want to answer that:

First, this is public knowledge. It was in all the local papers. It was on all the local news channels. It was posted on all the local news websites. It even made the news in Pennsylvania, where one girl was from. It's out there. While it might seem nice to just crawl into a dark place and hide, that won't help anything.

Second, keeping all these thoughts and emotions bottled up is not going to do me any good. Letting strong emotions fester without an outlet is self destructive, and I don't want or need that. This situation is bad enough already, no need to let it ruin my life or family as well by letting it affect me too much. Talking about it helps. Talking about it in a semi-anonymous way like this forum is much easier than speaking to a person about. I seemed fine the first few days. When a friend would call about the story or something, I was able to talk about it easily. Almost too easily. Then on Monday I was talking to a Professor that I consider a friend of mine, and it was too much. It was like the reality of the situation hit me. Regardless of the fact that there was nothing I could do, I hit two girls with my car and they're dead. It didn't matter that it wasn't my fault, it hurt. A lot. But since then, it has gotten better. Tuesday was better than Monday, and today was better than Tuesday. Hopefully this continues.

Finally, why post here. Where better to write about this incident. Where else can I express the gratitude I have for my car, that it kept me from injury. This forum is full of people who appreciate it as much as I do. PriusChat is full of great people whose opinions I value and respect, people who will understand not just the car, but the situation in general. People I would readily consider friends if we met in real life. Talking to these people helps. I see this as a form of group therapy.

So thanks everyone. I try not to dwell on it, but around every corner there it is. The scene keeps replaying over and over.

My one biggest relief, the first thing thought I had, was that the kids were not with me. It's tough enough for me, at least they were spared.

18. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am so sorry DocVijay. Peace to you and their families.

PA P

19. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

Thats just terrible. Condolences to the families involved. As you can see by my bio I live in Clearwater and work in Tampa and go down that road all the time. I know this won't make you feel any better but there was 3 horrible things against you that night that were not your fault. One is seeing a pedestrian in the road on that stretch of road right there is unthinkable to me. Its such a very high speed area and newly constructed and streamlined and has no access at all to ped traffic. Incredible. You'd be hard pressed to miss them on a sunny day. Just insanity to cross that section there. I would imagine you'd have to scale a wall or fence to even get to the road. Your very lucky it didn't kill you too. Secondly it was raining. Unless you live around here its hard to describe how intense it rains here. It rains such huge volume instantly its amazing. Mostly raining to hard for the average wiper speed too. Thirdly is most people drive like maniacs around here. very poor drivers. Super fast in the rain...no lane change blinkers..weaving...and I swear it seems most people are stoned from around 10pm on going down that road..so unless you drive fast and keep up you'll get rear ended right there..if your poky in the slow lane all you get is people flying up behind you and cutting around you and just missing your bumper. Its horrendous isn't it?
    Hang in there. It was not your fault.

20. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DocVijay its hard but you will pull through, everything in life happens for a reason, and its not your fault, there was nothing you could have done.