1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs VW Diesel for Long commute

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pflow1, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Pflow1

Pflow1 New Member

I am looking forward to a 75 mile freeway commute. 150 miles per day. The 2 guys I know with a Prius get 40 mpg during a high speed commute. My friend with the VW gets 49-50 mpg. It may be driving style. I don't expect to employ mileage tricks and will pull onto the freeway and set the cruise at 75 mph for 70 miles. How does the Prius handle that for mileage?

I love the technology and plan on getting the Prius but I'm not sure it's worth the money for this type of driving.

As a side note, my real decision is between the Prius and Avalon. I can get $500 off on a Prius and over 2K off on an Avalon. That makes them only a couple thousand different in price and another work associate claims close to 30 mpg commuting in the '05 Avalon.

I will be paying cash and the money is not an issue. I just like both cars and the Avalon is amazingly quiet at high speed. I love the Jetta diesel with the new 6 speed auto but am afraid of the reliability. I just want the personal satisfaction of driving a high mileage car but don't want to give up a smooth quiet ride.

2. samkusnetz

samkusnetz New Member

given gas prices in my area (portland, or):

doing 150 miles at 40 mpg takes 3.75 gallons of gas. at two bucks a gallon, that's $7.50.
    doing 150 miles at 50 mpg takes 3.00 gallons of diesel. at 2.50, that's also $7.50.

so it's going to cost the same amount of money for each car. i recommend you consider the other advantages of a hybrid over a diesel engine before you make your choice.

cheers
    sam

3. Pflow1

Pflow1 New Member

As I said, the money isn't the issue. I believe the high diesel prices are a short term spike which will change. After the initial spike in Gas prices after Katrina diesel was .30 cheaper then gas.

Will a Prius do better then a Civic or a Matrix or something similar at a steady state 75 mph? It's mainly been a point of curiosity for me.

4. cdavid

cdavid Member

For a long steady commute, the Prius engine will be running except in the occasional situations that you coast. It should consume less overall fuel because of the 0.26 drag coefficient and lighter weight that most other cars. I doubt the difference in $ would be all that significant over a new civic, moreso with the Avalon.

I owned an Avalon, and it is very confortable for a long commute, for you and also for 3 or 4 friends and their junk in the trunk, which cannot be said with the Prius to the same degree.

At 75, you'll probably get 27 max with the Avalon, 30 at 65.

If your commuting solo, then Prius is an easy choice.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius and TDI will perform very closely mpg wise. I suspect, as you mentioned, that driving speed is the major factor.

Realize that the Prius mpg will be a bit more sensitive to environmental changes such as temperture (outside), tempeture (where you set the AC), maybe a bit more sensitive to wet roads and wind (but not much).

Here are some sample MPGs for Prius at 75mph:
    (Assumptions, OEM tires, 250lb total cargo (driver and other), no wind, stable elevation @ 400ft, 67% humidity, I'll vary the AC to be consistant with what I drive for efficiency and comfort, steady speed, summer fuel, smooth dry paved road)

30 degrees OAT, 67 degree AC: 40 MPG
    50 degrees OAT, 67 degree AC: 43 MPG
    70 degrees OAT, 70 degree AC: 46 MPG
    90 degrees OAT, 78 degree AC: 49 MPG

All above calculated with Wayne Brown's THS II simulator (see : http://www.privatenrg.com)

Prius has a little more cargo room and is definately a 'fancier' car as far as amenities. You'll quickly become addicted to the SKS. Comfort wise the Avalon is likely to blow the Prius away due to the lack of adjustability of the seats. Please don't discount emissions...as much as you'll be driving your emissions with the TDI or even the Avalon will be markedly greater...your world and fellow man will appreciate you.

Also, I noticed you mentioned being able to get a $500 discount and that's fantastic if you can get that with the Prius...but don't forget about the $3150 tax credit..maybe money is no factor at all for you, but to me that's a lot of money to figure into my decision.

Finally, despite your protestations otherwise, you may, just may, find that you'll become addicted to striving for higher gas mileage. It's easy to do...speaking as a reformed Type A road rage driver! :blink:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and yes, the Prius will do much better than either the Civic or Matrix at those speeds and it's much more car.

7. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

My 1999 Jetta TDI just got totaled at 196,000 miles. My work commute is 40 miles each way with most being highway driving at 65 to 70 mpg. I kept detailed mileage and repair information on an Excel spreadsheet (attached). Pay particular note to the repair costs. I also believe that diesel prices will stay high in relation to gasoline for the long term. I've had the TDI... my Prius will arrive the end of January.

8. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you meant to use mph, but i'd love to do highway driving at 65 to 70 mpg!!

9. Pflow1

Pflow1 New Member

Serious answers. Thanks for the help.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What kind of transmission did it have?

11. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    great info in that spreadsheet!

I did a trendline of a plot of fuel cost over time! --yikes!

12. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The calculations from Dr. Fusco are almost exactly what I got with factory tires.
    At 66k on my 04 my repair costs are just my oil changes and a set of tires at 40k miles.
    Also consider resale value in the true cost of ownership. From what I see on traderonline.com the Prius are holding their value pretty well.

13. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius is AT-PZEV. Even with good fuel economy, diesel particulate matter (exhaust) is a carcinogen. Until diesel becomes more efficient (in part by being able to use cleaner fuel to start with), I recommend the Prius.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you set the cruise for 67 instead of 75, you'll probably do
    quite a bit better in the Prius. Somewhere centered around 65 mph
    seems to be around a "sweet spot" that balances efficient, high-load
    running vs. air resistance. Too high, air resistance kills you.
    Too low, and you fall off the efficiency curve of engine output
    and have to start playing pulse-n-glide type games.
    _H*

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I noted the repair costs, what per chance did you spend 10 grand on? that seems a bit excessive. Just curious.

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Owning a Prius won't save you that 10k in repair costs.

You're still going to pay $400 to $600 for tires.

Any time you want, stop at my house and I'll change your $40 alternator and only charge you $500. That should be a substantial savings over what you're accustomed to.

You basically got ripped off every time you went to your dealership or whoever did all those 160,000 mile service type things.

Go buy a 12 pack of oil filters and a couple boxes of oil. Every 5000 miles, change the oil, top off the window washer fluid and stop paying your dealer $2000 a year to do nothing.

17. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Hi Pflow1, you should try renting a Prius for a couple of days. Not all Toyota dealers rent them, so call around first. One of my local Toyota dealers rented a Silver 2005 Prius to me for 2 days at $30/day. I took the opportunity to drive my normal commute for 2 days. Additionally, I drove around to places that I frequent (like restaurants, grocery stores, etc) at day time, at night (to test the HID headlights). I had time to try out the utility of the vehicle (hatchback, folding rear seats). In short, renting the Prius for 2 days helped me determine if the vehicle was right for me. I think renting a Prius could help you make the right decision. Good luck with your research!

18. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

Manual Transmission. The '99s did not come in an automatic.

19. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

Take a look at the tab in the Excel spreadsheet for Repairs. Repair details are listed there. Mostly trouble light issues with glow plugs and replacement of the mass flow air meter.

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

thanks, you'll be happy to know that the mass flow air meter on a Prius is $138.78 from my price list (it's a bit dated now so don't take it as gospel) so if you ever have to change one it's not much in the big picture. And no alternator at all.