1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius (!), VSC, Check engine lights on.. Have done diagnostics, where to go?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bamapse, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my wive jumped into her 2006 Prius with 160k miles on it today after not driving it for 5 days and the RED triangle !, (!), VCS, and check engine lights came on. I ran basic and ABS code diagnostics on it and the only code that displayed was the P0a80 replace hyrbid battery code and then in the ABS DTC's it had 11 codes pretty much saying every sensor was bad and all that. I checked 12v battery and it was at 11.8v. I cleared the codes and went for another 6-7 mile drive and the battery charged and burned as it normally should (Fully charged from blue in 2-3 miles of mostly coasting?). No codes came back up and there were no problems with acceleration, braking or anything different that I could feel. I guess I am just wondering what to do now? Drive it until lights come back on?, have full diagnostics done?, does a bad hyrbid battery typically throw weird VSC codes too? I just have a hard time believing the the battery and whole VSC system just up and died while it set restfully for 5 days. I have read many other posts on this and its how I got to where I am. Thanks for any other input!

#1 Bamapse, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    12 v battery is low. Check again.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto the above. What load was on the 12V battery when you checked it? 11.8 on an unloaded AGM battery is essentially completely discharged. How old is it?

4. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure how old the battery is but I bought it 2.5 years ago and not sure if it was charged before that. I checked again on the battery and it was 11.8v resting and 11.4v when head lights were turned on.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try charging it. if it won't hold 12.4 volts, get a new one. warranty?

6. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help. Happy to know it could possibly be something else and easier to fix. Note* I just went outside and checked the voltage again using the method of holding the info button and flashing lights 3 times and the resting voltage read 11.9v, 12.0v, 11.9v after 3 tests and it dropped to 11.3, 11.4, 11.5 when turning on the headlights. I also checked the date of the battery and it looked to be a toyota battery and the number was 111113 meaning Nov. 11, 2013 so i guess it was replaced the year before we bought the car. Also, all the lights are back on (Red triangle !, (!), VCS, and Check engine). Still thinking the 12v battery it toast?

#6 Bamapse, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's aging, for sure, and is probably the cause of your problems. But it's not necessarily "toast." You can try charging it, as Bisco mentioned, with an appropriate AGM charger.

Your OP mentioned it was sitting for five days before the problem occurred. Depending on driving habits, maybe the 12V just isn't getting charged well enough. (If you have SKS, you can turn it off for long-term parking.)

If you can leave it parked securely in "Ready" mode somewhere for hours, the car will charge it for the cost of a few ounces of gasoline. Revving the engine won't make any difference, because the car doesn't have a mechanically driven alternator.

If you drive an hour or more each trip, neglect all the above and buy a new battery.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just replaced the 12v battery with an Optima Yellow Top for $165 from autozone and didn't need any type of adjustments to get it fitted. After starting the car again and giving it a little gas for the engine to run, all lights turned off. Going to do some more driving tomorrow just to make sure but looks like I got it fixed. Battery was a nice quick 15min swap as well. How do I go about resetting TPMS and driver auto up window control?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you not be too quick to declare victory over the P0A80 fault code. Drive a few hundred miles and see if that fault reappears.

Regarding the driver window control, lower the window. Then raise the window and hold the window button for a couple of seconds after the window has closed. Then the auto function should work.

I do not believe the TPMS system requires any attention as a result of the 12V battery being disconnected.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    re: TPMS if these are original, they are getting to the point of needing replacement, although so far I only have one bad one approaching 11 years old. They run on sealed button batteries.

12. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I went out this morning and turned on the prius and all the lights are back on. I checked the voltage in the new battery and it was reading 12.2v so I plugged it in on a 2amp charger and we will see what that does. I have noticed significantly decreased milage in the last 3k miles and my wife drives about 90 miles round trip to work 3 times a week. I also load tested my old 12v battery and it tested in the "ok" range so it may have just needed a charge and the HV battery thats dead? I am pretty mechanically savvy and could do an HV replacement if I needed to but just want to make sure I am heading in the right direction. I am located about an hour 15mins outside of Chico, CA and Sacramento, CA and thinking about possibly calling up some yards to find a battery from a crashed Prius but was wondering if anyone has had luck with that in this area. Any other thoughts?

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am seeing a significant amount of options for having the battery rebuilt or getting a rebuilt battery around the Sacramento area. We have been looking for a another used Prius before this happening so I am not looking to pay to have a new one installed and I can do the install myself so just looking to see if anyone in the NorCal area has dealt with anyone up here. Found some replacements from crashed prius's for around $400 as well.

15. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got lucky once with a salvage battery from Craigslist but that was when the batteries were only about five years old.

For $400 you'll take your chances but the downside risk is pretty minimal. Keep in mind anything from salvage will be close to the same age, and could fail in months. Can you afford to gamble the $400?

If you're a decent DIYer, one option is to see if you can buy the new part from Toyota for around $2100 as some have reported.

Can you find a wrecked Gen3 with NiMH modules? It sounds like those would be transferable to the Gen2 case. Cost would be substantially higher, but I would do that if it were $1000 or under.

16. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you checked your HV Battery
    Cooling fan needing cleaning?