1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Waiting List Stretches to at Least 3 Months

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Areometer, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With Gas Prices Up, Prius Waiting List Stretches to at Least 3 Months
    Date Posted 10-24-2005

TOKYO — Toyota Motor Corp. said late last week the waiting list for its gas-electric Prius has grown to three or four months in the United States, up from a two-month wait a month ago.

The Prius gets 60 miles per gallon in city driving and 51 mpg on the highway, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Toyota has said it plans to raise production of hybrids to 400,000 in 2006 from 300,000 in 2005.

The Prius, which went on sale in Japan in 1997, is the world's first commercially mass-produced gas-electric hybrid. Celebrities have fueled its popularity, including actor Leonardo DiCaprio and Seinfeld co-creator Larry David, both of whom have owned a Prius.

Toyota's announcement came on the heels of yet another poll charting the effect of high fuel costs on American consumers. More than half those surveyed by Sacred Heart University Polling Institute in Fairfield, Connecticut, said their next car will be smaller and more fuel-efficient. About 45 percent of those polled said they'll consider a hybrid.

What this means to you: Want a Prius? Take an even higher number.

> Original Link

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Glad I have mine! :D :p :lol: :rolleyes: B) ;)

3. Rayman

Rayman New Member

Interesting. This means that at 33k cars per month, the 60k quota for the maximum Federal Tax Credit will be reached by February.

Of course, this is assuming a steady delivery of 33,333 Priuses in January and February, which should not be a problem given that many orders arriving in December of '05 will be shifted into January. So, it is even possible that the 60k quota will be met by the end of January.

Wish me luck :blink:

4. cowboy

cowboy New Member

Sorry, but I just don't buy it - the Toyota story, that is. No, I don't have the data to back up my feeling - I just do know that there is inventory of 05 Prii out there from reading the forums, and that, if there are long waiting lists, they're in some parts of the country, but not in all.

As much as I like what Toyota has done with the Prius, I still remain skeptical about all manufacturers' claims - especially when they try to bolster demand by claiming "short supply" or "only 3 left at this price" or "buy now, tomorrow may be too late".........

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If 60000 was reached in Feb '06, tt's complicated but you might have as much as 4 months additional to get the full tax credit. Dont ask. Only what I read and it's not official. One interpretation is that ALL the vehicles in the qtr when the 60K limit is reached do qualify.. as do all the vehicles in the following quarter.. then it declines.

6. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Well, I agree waiting lists vary depending on what part of the country you may happen to be in, but it is obvious the car is EXTREMELY popular. I personally have no problem believing interest outstrips demand. No problem at all. All that said, I also have no problem believing some dealerships will try to take advantage of the situation (some of the later comments you attribute to Toyota), but I also don't believe supply is so acute that people need to pay extra to those dealers. At least not if a person is willing to call a few other dealerships. Sure, a waiting list might ensue, but call a few dealerships and let the first who delivers get the sale!

7. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Buy now or tomorrow it may be too late?

Are you saying that Toyota is intentionally keeping supply from the public to increase demand? That's a fool's game, and Toyota is a better company than that. They simply did not project to sell as many cars as they have already this year... simple as that.

Fine... you have a gut feeling. Good for you.

It may be possible that some dishonest dealers are asking for way more than MSRP and using the high demand as an excuse, but what you are saying is nonsense if you're saying that Toyota is cutting off the supply of the car from the SOURCE. WHY would they do that? If they had the capability of selling a hot car, why would they simply not do it?

A company that intentionally underproduces for press will very quickly be destroyed by analysts for being completely incompetent come their next earnings season.

Ugh. Keep your gut feelings to yourself.

8. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

LaughingMan,
    I agree with your point, but not this statement. Telling someone to keep quiet is probably the limit of civility in discussion; much better would be to ask them to "prove their point".

Gut feelings are one thing, but empirical data (ie, I saw x priuses here and y priuses there, both approx 1 week ago) would be much better. We're all in the dark, without seeing Toyota's numbers, but if we all post relevant local information that is verifyable, then that makes those opinions much more valid.

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_< I got an email yesterday from a dealer I had talked to months ago informing me that he had a Prius in stock matching my color and package preference available for immediate delivery.

10. sailatinu

sailatinu New Member

The ironic part of this would be if you had never mentioned your color or package preference, and yet he could still assure you that he had it. ;)

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Heh. That's Bullocks. I walked into a dealership on Saturday to look at some cars and get on the Prius waiting list. A couple of hours later I drove off in a new Prius. My dad was really impressed with car and got on the wait list that same day. His Prius arrives next tuesday. Might be dumb luck but still, it can happen.

12. Trojan

Trojan New Member

I put my name on the list at my local Toyota dealership last weekend (9 days ago to be exact). Yesterday I got a call that my Prius would be coming in at the end of this month (scheduled to arrive to the port on October 31, so I'll probably get the car around November 2 or 3). So either that article is stretching the truth or my local Toyota dealership is REALLY good at getting the cars they want from Toyota.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I put my name on one list in September '04 and was told the wait was 1.5 years! I started getting calls from them last January, but none were what I wanted. In April I contacted a dealer in Nevada because they said they could get it. I got a call on the 14th (a Thursday) saying they couldn't. I called Carson Toyota minutes later and had one waiting for me to pick up the next Saturday.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a feeling this article wasn't to show how popular the Prius is but rather deter people from buying one because of the long waiting list. I know here in BC, there was a shortage of Matrix back in 2002, up to 6 months! This was true since there was only one demo and absolutely none on the lot. They cleared this backlog by early 2003. I find it hard to believe that the Prius' lists aren't cleared by now.

Maybe Toyota should really just give up on the Sequoia and give those people jobs at the Prius (Camry) plant lol.

15. cowboy

cowboy New Member

&quot;Mountain Empire&quot; region of southeastern
    My my, but you're a testy fellow, aren't you....... And not the brightest bulb in the pack either. Re-read what I said, and then read what you said I said. How in blazes did/could you draw that conclusion?

In addition to comprehension lessons, you could use a lesson in courtesy - which, if you were close, I'd be glad to teach you.

16. NotFuelish

NotFuelish New Member

I was told by th Internet salesperson at Carson Toyota that they charge a premium over MSRP (I didn't bother emailing back to ask her how much). It was also reported recently on PriusChat that the current amount at Carson was 4K over MSRP. Is this not the case anymore?

17. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

:mellow: Yeah, I was rude. I am sorry.

But my point still stands... And I don't have a comprehension problem. cowboy needs to make one thing clear:

Is he talking about dishonest DEALERS, or is he talking about the MANUFACTURER being dishonest?

Toyota itself (the source) doesn't raise their MSRPs mid-model year depending on supply fluctuations. They don't try to gouge you by suddenly increasing the price of a Package #6 by $2000 halfway through 2005.

Dealers, on the other hand, can be shady... and many ARE. There are stories here all the time about dishonest dealers.

So what is it? Are you saying that car salesmen are dishonest, or that Toyota is misleading the public about the shortage?

I didn't draw a conclusion about what you said... i *ASKED* you if this is what you mean.

18. Rayman

Rayman New Member

Hi Tripp:

Could you please share the name of the dealership? I live in Denver too and am a bit disappointed at the dealership where I put down a deposit in September.

Thanks!

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's sounds right. I paid MSRP back in April.

20. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This was posted Monday on a yahoo Prius board... if anyone is looking for a Prius... TODAY!!!!

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/2005_Prius/message/8076

Just wanted to let you know I have six 2005 Toyota Prius available! We
    have Silver, Black, Seaside Pearl and Tideland.

Please call as soon as possible to secure your Prius today!

Shannon Brady
    Internet Sales Manager
    512-458-2222 ext.280
    [email protected]