1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius warning lights and loss of power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Islandboy84, May 13, 2015.

1. Islandboy84

Islandboy84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm driving to work this morning and a bunch of warning lights came on. I was going uphill and the car wouldnt accelerate, the engine was revving up and my presses on the gas pedal didnt seem to be doing anything. I had to pull over a couple of times after shutting the car off and letting it cool down. Each time the car would eventually display the loss of power (would not accelerate, and engine seemed to be revving high with no input felt from gas pedal). Shutting off car and turning back on would cause this to go away. IMG_20150513_064327.jpg IMG_20150513_064751.jpg

Over the last couple days the car seems sluggish and my gas mileage is showing ~36mpg instead of my normal ~43mpg. The warning lights come on, PROBLEM, comes up on the mfd, and the mfd had a funky little broken car symbol light in the top left corner.
    I also can hear what is like an exhaust fan coming from the back seats which I believe is the HV battery exhaust fan. I have never heard it this loud before.
    I check the inverter pump and will need to do it again but I believe I saw and felt turbulence (I will confirm again later when I get home).
    I hooked up the mini VCI and here are the codes I got.

Hybrid Control - DTC P3000
    HV Battery - DTC P0A80, P3015
    ABS/VSC/TRAC - C1259, C1310
    Air Conditioner - B1432, B1442
    Immobiliser - B2795, B2796
    Transmission Control - C2318

PDF VCI Health check results file attached as well as pic of warning lights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I miss my baby already.

My problems seems similar to these 2 threads.
    prius died on Highway. All warning lights came on. Hv battery discharges fast | PriusChat
    Help needed with warning lights for '05 Prius | PriusChat

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like a failed traction battery is at the root of your car's problems based upon the DTC (P0A80, P3015), your observation that the battery fan is running fast and the driveability symptoms.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    167K miles per the second photo in the OP.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks.

6. Islandboy84

Islandboy84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update. I end up call out a repair guy and he ran me through the repair process. End up being 1 bad battery module, and he changed out the computer though im not sure why. Its a shame that a 40-50$ module brings up a 700$+ repair bill.

Anywho all the lights went away but my gas mileage hasnt quite returned. Im getting around 39-40mpg. Either way if another one goes bad Im definitely changing it out myself. I wouldve done this one myself but my spare car was being used so I didnt have the luxury of time.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! (y)that's actually a pretty good price, was he from the toyota dealership?