1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius waterpump is making a squealing/screeching noise after driving (video)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zoeboi954, Nov 8, 2016.

1. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just been through hell with replaing waterpumps on my old engine before it was replace now I got a my engine swapped out, the waterpump that came with the new engine also failed a couple months ago and it made the same noise , now the new waterpump also makes this squealing noise after I drive. does anybody know why

Here video, it's a high pitch squeal and a faint squeal. dont confuse the faint squeal as background noise

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe it's the pulley or the belt making noises. Is the belt tension correct?

If the water pump is not new, just get a new one

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What belt? Profile says the car's a 2010. And the electric water pump is a bit salty to just keep replacing. Strange....

-Chap

4. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No belt, yes 2010 3rd Gen electric water pump. and yes it's a brand new waterpump only been in for about 2-3 months.

Also new radiator, thermostat, and coolant had been deeply flushed

And the video was recorded with the vehicle off

5. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just thought I give an update on this. It turns out the waterpump was not making this noise it was my a/c compressor. And it would happen everytime I use the a/c. I'm not sure if that means it gonna fail soon or what. But it still works for the time being

6. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope - a good alternative is to get some cheap plastic tubing. Put one end by your ear drum and the other end near the moving part to isolate the sound.

Dyjital likes this.