1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wave... no longer existent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Apr 14, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I took a semi-short joyride in my Prius today, telling myself I had to 'dry it off' after rinsing all the pollen off of it. I ran into 5 other Prii along the way and only got a wave out of ONE!

What's the deal? The Wave must be officially dead. Anyone in other areas get any waves anymore? Or is Durham particularly unfriendly?

BTW- my joyride was over a great driving area and bumped my MPG from 41 to 45! All right! :mrgreen:

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would say the wave is dead. The dam is burst and the Prius is mainstream. My office nurse went in to the Toyota dealer on Sunday and got a Prius off the lot. She traded in her SUV that she got a great price on. The Prius is main stream.

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I got three waves today.

4. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

In some areas, you wave to anyone and they'll wave back.

I own a Jeep Wrangler, and it's been a long, long standing tradition to wave to fellow jeepers. Motorcylclists wave to one another, too. Those are old traditions that at least imply a particular level of individuality. Having a Prius doesn't imply individuality as much as planetary concern or geekness (or both). Geekness is often competitive. And, environmentalism is something that would deserve a thumbs up rather than a wave.

On the other hand, wave for your benefit and never really look for an acknowledgement. Or/and, wave slowly and with real intent - that is more likely to "force" the other person to wave. My wife loves to wave to other jeepers. She often uses both hands.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't get a wave but when i left a hotel parking lot at the same time as another Prius he followed me till i figured i should pull over because he wanted to chat, well we had a nice chat about our Prius's. Hey how do you spell Prius in a plural form? Prius's or Priuses?

6. Canicus

Canicus New Member

Los Feliz District, Los Angeles, California
    I would imagine a 'more than one Prius' situation would be a group of Prii. This is my opinion, of course.

I've been given a few waves and smiles. I try to wave to every Prius driver on the road without making a fool of myself and possibly crashing into the fellow beside me. I live in Los Angeles, CA, and there are A LOT of Prii here. It's great. Some Prius folks don't realize there's another Prius nearby until it's too late to wave. Some, I guess, just don't feel it's necessary. I remember when it felt like a club...much like when I had one of the first Miatas and New Beetles. Oh, well.

More Prii on the road, less familiar waves, means a better situation for the world in terms of energy efficiency.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030\";p=\"81359)</div>
    We've been using "Prii" around here. (Really!)

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From my microbiology class (long time ago)

Singular bacillus, plural bacilli
    Singular coccus, plural cocci

Following that trend.....

Singular Prius, plural Prii

But I tend to think more on the scientific and technical side. That's what I get for working in research.

9. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030\";p=\"81359)</div>
    You definitely don't want to use the apostrophe, unless you want to form the possessive. I like "Priuses," but most people on PC seem to like "Prii" (apparently by analogy with "cacti" and because they seem to think it's more fun to say Prii). The usual pluralization of nouns ending in a /s/ sound, however, is to add /es/: gasses, masses, messes, passes, cactuses (yes, that's correct), etc.

10. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I remember that when I picked up my then-new Prius back in January the dealer I bought the car from used the plural Prii, which I thought that was pretty cool of him!

- Bill

11. Isabelle

Isabelle New Member

Exuberant Wave

I remember back in Fall 03 when we first got the 04, we were driving with the kids on the Mass Pike....there were very few on the road then and the kids (n=3) were very proud of our unique status.

I told the kids that another Silver Prius was overtaking us, and as they passed, we saw that there were two kids in their car as well. They waved and laughed and "thumbs upped" and smiled and giggled...probably our best Prius moment....the kids take great joy in the car and that's fun.

Always wondered who those folks were...maybe you're out there?

12. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Singular: Lexus.
    Plural: Lexii?

13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In Latin, prius => priora.

Not very catchy.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I too like Prii. But as I have said before, I think a group of Prii in one place . . . like a Gaggle of Geese . . . should be called a “Prissy of Prii.†:eek: :wink:

Here in the Sacramento area, I think the Prius Wave is also dead. Waving to seven or eight Prii during just about every short trip gets kind of fatiguing. I have now resigned myself to just smiling in the other Prii’s general direction and giving the all knowing head bow if the other driver looks my way.

As a kid, I would wildly wave at strangers as if I knew them and was trying to get their attention as they were passing bye. I would time the wave so they only had a split second to acknowledge the wave. After waving back they would then have a funny look come over their face as they realized they had no clue who they were waving at. We would have contests while walking home from school to see who would get the most funny faces.

I thought I had the same prank pulled on me a few months ago while driving on the freeway. A car passing me had a passenger who was waving frantically at me as if to acknowledge they knew me. I waved back thinking I would figure out who they were. I then made the confused funny face because I didn’t know who the hell they were. They stopped waving and scowled. Only after they had passed did I understand why they were waving at me. The badge on the back of their car said it was a Honda Accord Hybrid. I felt bad in that I thought they thought I was dis’ing them with my confused look . . . which could also have been construed as a “you’re not worthy†look. They were taking the next exit, so I made sure to speed up and give them a proper hybrid wave. They appreciated it immensely. I guess Accord Hybrid owner are so desperate for “the wave†that they will go inter-species to get their acknowledgment jollies. :|

15. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    One Prius = Prius
    Two Prius = Prius
    I don't change it for the plural.

16. DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs Junior Member

Leaving DC yesterday after work a women in an Gen 1 Prius speeds up, honks and gives me and my carpoolers a nice wave and thumbs up. My carpoolers initially thought she was trying to merge in my lane but I noted that this is part of "the club" of Prius owners. :mrgreen:

17. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Glad to hear that the Prius Wave is not completely dead yet at least somewhere in this country. Yesterday on my way home from work I saw almost a dozen Prii and not a single one of them waved back at me :(

18. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Minnesota, we get a waveback about 1/3rd of the time. Iv'e noticed up here that the 2/3rds that don't wave, are older folks and/or drivers of the older Prius. Anyone under 40 with a new Prius is still overly excited about their Prius (Like me) and is anxious to wave to others. I'm actually quite surprised by the age distribution of Prius owners in MN. I'd say 2/3 rds of Prius owners I've seen in my area are retired.

19. fred

fred New Member

well.... here i go again asking no begging to get flamed. im only half serious about this but this my theory. many prius folks dont pay enough attention. they are not car guys. they arent necessarily fond of driving in general and may even resent that they need to drive at all. when i had sports cars we always waved, when i had motorcycles we always waved, when we had the same type of car we always waved.but now and please forgive me most prius folks (not all thank goodness) are staring straight ahead. they are not aware enough of their surroundings. ive noticed this ever since i got mine. about 1/3rd or less of the Prii folks have no idea of the vehicles around them. the other day here in nashville it was raining like heck and coming towards me was a prius with no headlights on so this gave me the chance to wave and flash my lights (thus killing 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak) well, no notice no eye contact etc. anyway i notice that people IN GENERAl ( notice not all)who are not car guys and are not thrilled at drving develop slightly rotten little driving habits. anyway pay attention! if you see fred and "smiley" you better wave or ill kick your butt. and if you dont see me thats very bad.
    anyway thanks for this thread its something that has been gnawing at me for ayear.

20. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I usually say "there go a bunch of Prius cars" or "Prius hybrids" or "Prius vehicles". Now, truly, I wish I DID see more than one at a time! There are only a dozen or so here (combined classic and 04/05s). About 4-5 show up monthly for our hybrid car club gatherings. The Hondas are even fewer, but I'm trying to entice them all to show up, even if the technology isn't quite "Prius-like". Yes, I'm a bonafide Prius snob...and it feels good.