1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius weight loss as a key to better fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cbustapeck, Oct 28, 2006.

1. cbustapeck

cbustapeck New Member

I don't own a Prius yet, but my next car will almost certainly be one. If I wasn't so tall (I'm 6'8"), I'd just buy a tiny, efficient used car, like a Geo Metro convertible.

While I like the looks of the Prius and find it very comfortable, there are not many occasions where I really need the back seats. In my current vehicle, I can't think of an occasion in more than a year where I've had more than one passenger. That said, I'm an artist, and I would like to be able to haul stuff in the back of my car.

This brings me to the question - all that extra junk in the back (seats, interior upholstery, door panels, etc) seems like extra weight. Has anyone tried to significantly reduce the weight of the Prius to improve gas mileage? When I took a test drive in a 2005 Prius, I found that the console got in the way of my right leg. Removing it would save some weight.

This leads me to think of more drastic weight loss measures, in the name of efficiency. Carbon fiber racing seats, carbon fiber doors, replacing window glass with Lexan... I've checked the forums, and perhaps I'm just blind, but I can't seem to find anyone who's done anything so silly thus far.

Any thoughts?

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbustapeck @ Oct 28 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]340067[/snapback]</div>
    your better off in a geo metro imo, if you learn to hypermile it you can milk 78 mpg tanks like the #1 guy on gassavers.org

if you like lazy gas saving get the prius, you'd work harder in a metro but you pay much less.

Good luck! This is coming from a guy who hypermiled a civic (47 mpg) and now is driving a 03 classic. (55 mpg)

edit: ah jeez i didn't realease how tall you were, i guess metro is out of the question. But you are right, those small cars can compete agaist the prius easily because it has a HUGE weight advantage compared to the hybrids of today. (at least 500 pounds difference)

3. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbustapeck @ Oct 28 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]340067[/snapback]</div>
    Why not get a Honda Insight? Its the car you're trying to make the Prius become, and it gets better mileage than the Prius as well. It has no back seat at all, and Honda used major weight saving design (including massive amounts of aluminum and magnesium in the chassis) to shave almost 1000 pounds compared to the Prius. With an Insight, you can gloat over the lack of unnecessary weight and space as well as having the most fuel efficient car available.

The only downside would be the storage space - its considerably less than the Prius - but a trip to the Honda dealer would let you judge that for yourself.

4. cbustapeck

cbustapeck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryanmsi @ Oct 28 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]340080[/snapback]</div>
    The Honda Insight is a nice car, but it's too small for (giant) me. No space to move my legs, and the shape of the seats kills my back.

Plus, then I wouldn't be able to spend a whole bunch of time and energy customizing a Prius to make it get better gas mileage, which I think would be a lot of fun.

5. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbustapeck @ Oct 28 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]340097[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that's true enough! Gotta love Prius hacking! :D :D

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive a 2000 5-speed Insight, and one of the few complaints I have about it is the seats are not comfortable after an hour.

I hope one of these days to drive a Prius, but based on limited information, the Insight is definitely more of a hands-on experience, although a fun one.

It would be interesting to see what the Prius could do with extensive use of aluminum or carbon fibre.

7. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbustapeck @ Oct 28 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]340067[/snapback]</div>
    You could always but a pickup truck - they don't have those heavy seats and upholsterly and door panels in the back.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryanmsi @ Oct 28 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]340080[/snapback]</div>
    Besides the fact that the OP doesn't want one, Honda's killed it.
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60517001/1041.

9. cbustapeck

cbustapeck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Oct 28 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]340176[/snapback]</div>
    In theory, yes, I could. However, once you go to the extended cab version of the small pickups, which I need for my back so that I can tilt the seat back a little, they become only slightly more fuel efficient than the minivan I'm driving now.

10. Prius_TwinTurbo_Steve

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I HAVE the answers... Gutted the car pretty much. Removed the spare tire, floor panels, everything in the trunk space. I've also have taken out the rear seats.
    (THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS)
    - Can run on the electric motor to much higher speeds (for me up to 40)
    - Faster Throttle Responce
    - Faster Acceleration 0-60 8.??? Seconds
    - Of course Better MPG