1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Masoud, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Love the forum but can not get this info so thought I would ask..

I am getting a new Prius in Black. Like everything about the car but the wheels are well.. So I would like to get other new wheels. What is the PCD of the wheels and maximum width tyre I can put on it. Thinking 17" or 18" alloy rims with low profile tyres. What do you think are the implications on the suspension, wheel geometry, factory warranty and ride quality ???

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the tech specs you want, but here is my impression of the general consensus regarding aftermarket wheels.

1. The Prius is an as-is vehicle. There is little you can do to improve it. So, if there is an aspect of the vehicle you truly dislike, don't buy now, wait until some less niche version of it comes out which you can tinker with as you see fit. This leads to...

2. The stock Prius wheels in the U.S. shipping version are highly aerodynamic, light weight and designed specifically for efficiency for this vehicle. I've heard the rumor that the Prius is more aerodynamic than many Italian super cars and the wheels are a significant part of the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

3. Many folks who have swapped out stock wheels for customs have taken a huge MPG hit. The combination of a physically heavier wheel, without any air flow design and tires with lower rolling resistance and wider contact surfaces makes for a MPG deadly combination.

My 2 cents.

3. Sid

Sid New Member

Hi Masoud,
    If you haven't read this thread: CLICK HERE you should, among other things, after-market wheels/tires are discussed.

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the stock 15" you may be able to fit 205/60/15 (which should be a PLUS ONE)

17" --> 205/40/17 or 205/45/17 (better protection against bumps)

18" --> no no

Check out this TIRE CALCULATOR to determine how "off" the odometer would be IF you were to swap wheels.
    http://www.7thgencivic.com/index.php?page=tirecalc&

My little knowledge about...
    Suspension: The stock shocks and springs will be fine. No damage whatsoever.

Wheel geometry: The bigger and wider the tire yields a lower MPG. Low Profile tires (anything less than 45) give a considerably worse ride quality as there is less cushion. Low profile tires also have stiffer walls for added rim protection.

Factory warranty: I highly doubt that a dealer would blame "suspension" problems if any on the wheels. Never heard of such thing.

Ride quality: The best ride quality is on stock wheels! A lot of cushion and quietness...

My personal advice is just to stick with the stock wheels or maybe get another set of 15".

The Prius stock wheel without the rim trim:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/oem-rims-v...ighlight=wheels

5. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Thank you for a lot of great information and advice, I am now a memeber (Signed up for a Prius on Thursday)

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you think are the implications on the suspension, wheel geometry, factory warranty and ride quality ???

although the appearance would greatly balance the look of the car by equalling the large height of the car with more aggressive looking wheels i think most people should realize that bigger wheels usually results in a big loss in performance. and then you fear losing mpg and then you suffer and then you hate and before you know it you've joined the dark side and have bought something stupid like a hummer ;)

7. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Good one Flareak,

I like all about my new car (waiting for delivery) but the wheels are a bit daggy.. I will not change them if it means voiding warranty and that is how it looks for now. So daggy wheels here I go ....

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The Southeast region often ships the car with Pirelli +2 wheels.

Consumers Reports did a report on plus wheels.