1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Wiki now available on Wikia.com

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pakitt, May 17, 2011.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have started a Prius Wiki on Wikia.com.
    Main objective is the gather in one location the information that is generated on the excellent Prius Chat forums to make it easier for Prius users to find more quickly the information they are looking for.

The Prius Wiki, not limited to the Gen 3 (older Prius versions’ owners are welcome to contribute!), can be found here:
    Prius Wiki (Prius Wiki)

This Wiki is in no way a substitute of the PriusChat Forums, rather it complements them. As information gets generated, discussed, confronted and finally agreed upon (whenever possible) on them, it can be added to the Wiki for easy retrieval.

The information should be referenced whenever possible/reasonable.
    All are invited to contribute to this Wiki!

PS: I am adding information whenever I can – I tried to give it a logical structure so far, but things can and will change. For those who are concerned of possible attacks and changes that destroy the content, I can activate several levels of control. For now, I will assume that everybody is “good” and that the Wiki will self-heal, and therefore it is, for the time being, open for edits to all.

1 person likes this.
  2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sticking this for a while in case folks want to contribute.

1 person likes this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting to see that a few people said that a Prius Wiki would be a good thing, and then if I don't add any content for more than a week, nothing happens, no content gets added, nothing...
    I wonder if I should really go through all the trouble of writing further for the Wiki... :(

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Added articles/links in sections:
    "Common Prius myths and rebuttals"
    "Environmental"
    "Lifespan/Operating costs"
    "Operating modes (ECO, Normal, PWR and EV)"
    "Multi Function Display"
    "Hybrid Synergy Drive"

Thanks to cwerdna for the help and contributions!

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Why not wikipedia?

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wikipedia has a Prius page, there's the question of what should be included or not in a single page. Supposedly you can create related pages, but they probably want you to keep it limited to major aspects. Pakitt's wiki wouldn't have that problem as you can create as many pages as you want.

We started something similar for Type 3 air-cooled volkswagens. A lot of talk about how the knowledge that people have needs to be put down in a cohesive way someplace, rather than searching a chat room, so someone created a wiki on it, I put a bit of structure on it, and then nobody else has added actual data to it. Sometimes there's more talk than action, but eventually it might get a critical mass and people will treat it as a primary resource.

1 person likes this.
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's soooo much to talk about the Prius. If the site is kept up to date it will be longggg.

We should write a Prius book, maybe an almanac. 500 pages. $30/costco.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the same reason as there are Star Trek Wiki - Memory Alpha and Main Page - Battlestar Wiki? :p

No, but seriously, I don't go to the wikipedia entry much as it's sometimes been polluted w/BS (like http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/30974-prius-vs-hummer-exploding-myth-2.html#post415866).

Also, some "genius" decided it was a good idea to muck up what the models designations (e.g. XW10, XW20, XW30) when Toyota has never called it these. It's always been NHW10, NHW11, NHW20, etc. Unfortunately, fixing this means a bunch of other stuff needs to be fixed and I have no time or motivation to do that or fight attempts to change it back to the incorrect designation.

Bob Wilson (on the Yahoo Prius Technical Stuff group) did look into what happened and that person's reasoning. Let's just say it's a long story and I don't want to fight the battle.

1 person likes this.
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Because in Wikipedia you cannot add things like "differences between LED and Halogn headlights with pics from my dad's and my prius" (which I will add soon to Wikia) or driver's based experiences and findings that are not confirmed officially on any Toyota website. Wikipedia is too "official" for my taste to do what I had in mind.

Which is essentially help PriusChat forum members such as myself, gather in a single place what is in PC spread among thousands of threads with tens of thousands (or more) posts, where often people chit-chat and you need to go through pages before finding what you were looking for (that single useful post...).

One example, the LED vs Halogen headlights - it took me a good 15mins to find the original thread. And often you need to use Google to find what you are looking for.

This forum is an excellent place to discuss several topics and help people out with questions. No doubt. But it is not the best place to find information that has been confirmed by users here or findings that people make (e.g. the warm-up stages).

In Wikia you would simply go to Prius 3 --> engine --> warm-up stages page and there you would find the information without any search necessary.

Hopefully in the months to come I will be able to keep a useful structure and the additional users will contribute keeping the page structures as easy and clear as possible.

If only I had more time, I would add more content than I have done so far... :(

PS: moreover, in Wikipedia to make an edit or a new page is an headache - the UI is terrible (at least for me...I need a WYSIWYG interface for dummies... ;) ).

1 person likes this.
  11. Crazyhorse6901

Crazyhorse6901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bookmarked for future reference...

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    3 people like this.
  13. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi JimboPalmer - I edited a bit your article (thanks for contributing!!!) to make it a bit less personal and added comments in square brackets where I thought necessary. I fully understood what you were trying to say, but please add references whenever possible.

Regarding the battery dying...is there any true evidence about it? you seem to be quite specific about it, but do we have repeatable data, user's manual advice, etc. to make the statement that "for every Prius that will happen"? I know of people that remained stranded after leaving the car 1 week off, but we don't know for sure if that is design flaw, a problem with a batch of batteries or they simply left something on (a light) without realising it...
    I haven't read anything more conclusive - if you have, please reference it or otherwise state the battery example more as a remote possibility than a certainty...hope you understand.

14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have managed (finally!) to review all changes to the Wiki since Jun 29th.

Question to author(s) of the article on the Gen0 Prius - is the book free for download (the link was broken and added a new one) or can we put a link to (e.g. Amazon) more official and legal ;) site for buying it?

I have also made a couple of edits on the "Common Prius Myths", could you please review them - a couple of phrases did not make any sense to me in English - I made edits based on what I supposed would be the meaning of them...

I want to truly thanks all contributor so far on the Prius Wiki - it is finally gaining traction!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, I believe the book is out of print/unavailable. Seehttp://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0018OK9IK?tag=priuschatcom-20 quick Google search for "prius that shook the world" buy out of print turned up threads and posts like Yahoo! Groups and Yahoo! Groups w/our esteemed efusco posting himself.