1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wind drag / MPH chart - Not sure what to ask for

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CheapGadgets, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CheapGadgets

CheapGadgets w/efficiency OCD

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does someone know where I can find a matrix detailing wind drag at different speeds for the Prius? I've seen matrices for other cars, but usually just stumbled across them.

I'm trying to determine my best case scenario(s) for driving my regular commute.

Thx.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If anybody is interested, here's the particulars:

To go to work:

I live on a rural state high way (55 MPH). This road is somewhat curvey with two curves necessitating a slow to 40 MPH. These two curves are within a 1/4 mile of each other so I normally just coast to the next. It also has a lot of hills. Mostly of the rolling type, but there is a valley that requires so intermdiate power (I can hear the engine quite clearly although it's sound is nothing like it was on the hill near Jelico on I-75). I'm on this road for about 9 miles going north.

The next segment is cutting through a couple of neighborhoods for about 4 miles in which I P&G and stop forecasting. These little maneuvers has increased fuel economy quite a bit.

The trip home is the reverse.

I believe that there is difference in elevation between my workplace and home that will probably require me to use diffenent tactics depending on my direction of travel.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something like this for 2001-03 Prius:
    [​IMG]

I also have some data points for the NHW20 Prius:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately, the simulator is not available at the moment for download and purchase. The developer removed the download links after he thought someone had hacked the registration code.

To the OP: At 55 MPH with no wind, 70F outside air temp, and smooth dry pavement, the simulator calculates that about 42% of the car's power is needed to overcome aero drag. At 40 MPH it is about 30%. Is that what you're looking for?