1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't Auto switch between BT phones

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pendetim, Jan 20, 2007.

1. pendetim

pendetim Junior Member

I have a 2006 Prius that has the profile of 3 Verizon BT phones ( an E815, a RAZR V3m and LG VX8600) in the phone profile display. All have been "bonded" to the Bluetooth system in the Prius and the auto-connect function is enabled on the Prius Bluetooth menu.

If I go into the phones menu, and manually select the phone I have with me, it connects and works fine. However if I get in the car and start the car with a different phone, it will not see that phone and connect until I manually tell it to connect using the Bluetooth screen. If I get in the car with the last phone I linked, all is happy and it connects quickly and works fine. For some reason it is not automatically switching profiles.

Shouldn't the Prius automatically be connecting to any registered phone when it sees it? or will it only automatically connect to the last phone it linked with? This is a PITA having to keep telling the Prius what phone to connect to.

What an I missing here?????

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same situation here! I'm no help beyond commiseration (sorry), but I'll be watching for other replies for sure.

3. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pendetim @ Jan 20 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]378350[/snapback]</div>
    I have no idea. I just gave up and only use my own cell phone. My wife doesn't care that much for using the BT in the car anyway.

Dave M.

4. Capemayal

Capemayal Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jan 20 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]378403[/snapback]</div>
    I have an 07, and I'm pretty sure I read that you have to pick the phone manually on the screen - that it doesn't auto switch.

5. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeMayAl @ Jan 21 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]378749[/snapback]</div>
    Same problem! I don't believe that there is an "autopair" setting. That being said, however, if all of the phones have previously been paired, it's a matter of 20 seconds to select the correct phone and re-pair it.

6. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Not much you can do about it – This is “normal†behavior of the BT protocol, will re-connect to the “last†connected on its list.

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Though I haven't looked since replying to this thread the first time, I swear there was an entry like the OP mentioned - something about "auto select." Did we misunderstand the meaning of that feature?

8. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Jan 21 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]378877[/snapback]</div>
    I don't agree exactly. While it is true that be "normal" BT behavior should be to reconnect either to the "last" connected phone or the phone defined as the "primary" phone, there is no good reason why it shouldn't cycle through the list when it can't connect to the one it wants to connect to. If you get the basic Nokia BT car kit (which I have elaborately installed in my Ranger pickup such that it mutes the stereo and uses one of the speakers for the output) it will pair with up to 6 phones, attempt to pair with the primary phone first, and if it fails pair with any of the other phones in order. This is perfect for my partner and I since he generally was driving the truck (until we got the Prius). It would always pair with his phone if we were both in the truck, and if I was driving the truck alone, it would automatically pair with my phone. No human intervention required.

The behavior of this in the Prius is another unfortunate oversite in how Toyota did things. Not a big deal since it is easy enough to tell it to pair with the other phone, but something that really shouldn't be necessary.

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for that info, Scoot. This has been my experience with other BT devices as well.