1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't go into ready mode AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by augustson, Sep 9, 2006.

1. augustson

augustson New Member

I originally posted about this problem here, and I thought the problem was fixed, but apparently not.

My Prius is again refusing to go into ready mode (at seemingly random times) for no apparent reason. What I HAVE noticed is that I will shift the car into Reverse and it's like the car "stalls" out of ready mode (while still being in reverse). I'll then shut the car off, try to power into ready, and the car will start to go into ready mode, but then immediately kick out. This will happen a couple of times before the car will then just NOT go into ready mode at all. This whole process happened twice before I ended up going BACK to the dealer. The first time it happened, the car started up within 5 minutes. The second time it was about 40 minutes (I actually had a tow truck on the way).

They have had the car for a couple of days and the "guys in California" apparently told them to replace the Transponder ECU. I'm not entirely sure what that is or what it does, but when I get back to the dealer I'll be sure to post any information as well as any codes that might have been kicked out by the car...

2. augustson

augustson New Member

I've had my car back for a few days. The tech said D.T.C. 2799 showed up in the car, which indicated a need to replace the Transponder E.C.U. So far, this seems to have fixed the issue (although I'm not entirely sure how the transponder issue would kick the car out of ready mode, but I'll be fine as long as the car works!)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect the transponder ECU is responsible for properly reading the fob and if that is malfunctioning will refuse to go into ready mode.

I suspect the transponder ECU is responsible for properly reading the fob and if that is malfunctioning will refuse to go into ready mode.

4. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 18 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]321249[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but would it kick the car OUT of ready mode? I twice had a situation where I'd shift into R and the car would sort of "stall" out of ready mode. I would figure once the car made it to ready mode, it wouldn't really care about the FOB. Unless the transponder ECU has the power to kick the car out of ready mode in the event it's really confused or something!

5. augustson

augustson New Member

Well... it looks like my car is NOT fixed! I'm currently awaiting a tow truck to take it BACK to the dealership yet again. I'm really feeling unlucky here with this car. I hope they're actually able to fix it THIS time. I feel like I've been driving rentals more than I have my own car!

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, doesn't make much sense....how very strange. Do keep us posted in this thread and I wish you better luck this time around..

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ay... don't they double check to see if what they did even fixed the problem? any idea who at tech assist they were dealing with? some are better than others and not all of them know everything.

8. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 18 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]321323[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure...(is the tech assist the person in California?) but I DO know that they told him (the local tech) to replace the transponder ECU before trying to diagnose anything else. I think the big problem is that this issue seems to be so intermittent and doesn't seem to be spitting out any DTC's that address this specific issue. I did get the problem on video, but that probably doesn't help much except to prove that I'm not just making the problem up! I'm just hoping not to have to drive around one of those boxy Scions this time!

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    is your tech driving your car around? seeing the problem happen multiple times can help. learning how to replicate it even better. course that leaves you in a rental, unfortunately.

the intermittent ones are admittedly the hardest to fix, and lots of things can be happening that won't set a code. a challenge for the tech but not impossible.

10. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 18 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]321333[/snapback]</div>
    He has driven it around, but admittedly the car has NEVER had a problem while actually driving it around– it has always been in park OR just shifted to Reverse when it fails to go to ready or "stalls" out of ready.

The tech has only seen it happen once and I've yet to be able to replicate it consistently. Strangely enough, it has happened THREE times to me while attempting to leave work from the same (or nearly the same) parking spot! The bad thing is the problem doesn't seem to afflict the car long enough for a tow truck to actually get to me! This is the second time I've had a tow truck on the way and cancelled because the car FINALLY went into ready mode.

At this point, I'm willing to have the tech drive the thing back and forth to work every day just to see if he can recreate my experience.

The sad thing is I REALLY love the car, but my friends see me driving loaners so much that they think the Prius is a problem car-- despite the fact that I tell them my problems are NOT common among other Prius owners.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Sep 18 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]321415[/snapback]</div>
    this is pretty much what they need to do, so he can learn how to replicate it. when DH gets a nasty diagnostic snarl he'll ask if he can drive the car to work and back for a while to see how the problem crops up. he will also ask to drive the car after the repair to verify it's fixed, especially if the customer has been in for the same problem previously and/or the problem is something that could strand you somewhere. this was what, the 3rd time they've had it? and the transponder ECU doesn't make a ton of sense.

tech assist is the "guys in california," yes... except since you're in the southeast they really have their own tech center in florida... southeast toyota is in their own world. they just say california. anyway, louis and rob s are the guys who know prius in that tech center. rob pissed DH off recently, so he talks mostly to louis.

i don't know if this has been asked before, but have you tried inserting the fob into the keyslot when it's happening or trying to replicate the problem with the key in the dash? just to rule out smartkey problems.

12. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 18 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]321422[/snapback]</div>
    The key in the dash doesn't seem to matter. In fact, when I made my video today of the problem, I did it both ways (key in and key out) and the car responded the same (no ready mode).

I think he replaced the transponder ECU because the DTC came up for it and that's what he was told to do before trying anything else.

I'll try finding out who the tech assist is...

13. augustson

augustson New Member

So I got a call from one of the service managers today (he left a message). Apparently the tech assist is telling them to replace the "hybrid computer". I haven't had a chance to actually talk to anyone (so I don't know who the tech assist is) and I'm not EXACTLY sure what or where the "hybrid computer" is. I WILL say that they've replaced a LOT of parts on this car already (emission ecu, purge valve, MFD, transponder ecu, 12v battery) and I've only had the thing for 8 months! Hopefully I'll learn more later tonight...

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Sep 19 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]321825[/snapback]</div>
    No offense intended to the good hybrid technicians that are out there, but this is typical of how many of the service departments "troubleshoot" this car. They just replace parts and hope sooner or later they hit on something that will fix it. Apparently when they call the "experts" at Toyota they just get more of the same bad ideas. Be thankful you are not paying for it.

tallman likes this.
  15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Sep 18 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]321415[/snapback]</div>
    They will figure it out... keep your chin up!...

One of my prius's had a funky chip go out that makes the window work right... the part was so rare, it was not found in the whole country.... I had to get it from Japan.. they got in in about 4 days and fixed it...

with all the cutting edge stuff we are running, I'm shocked we don't have things going wrong right and left.. this is a pretty amazing car.

16. augustson

augustson New Member

So, the car is back and I've discovered something interesting...

Galaxee-- the tech assist was Rob. The local tech said that he will only deal with Rob or Louis when he needs help because they have the most experience...

So, the invoice appears to say there was a DTC #2799-- and the corrective action was replacing the hybrid computer (looks like part 89981-47211). But... the interesting part is this: The local tech was telling me that as he had the dash apart to install the computer, he noticed a "chip" that seemed loose that he was able to "pull off easily". He thought that this loose connection might have explained the "intermittant-ness" of the problem I was having and feels pretty good about the problem being fixed (between replacing the part and reconnecting that loose chip). I asked him where this chip was, and he told me it was right beneath the glove box. This, of course, made me nervous because that just happens to be where the EV mod is installed! I didn't bother to ask any more questions and was surprised that the presence of this chip didn't throw up any red flags for him (he seemed to think it belonged there). Now, I'm not certain if a loose connection for the EV mod would actually cause this type of problem or not, but I guess it's something you should check if you're experiencing similar issues with your Prius and you have the Coastal EV mod installed...
    [attachmentid=5145]

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Sep 23 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]324066[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota monitors these boards. With the information you have posted, they can easily figure out who you are. I suggest that you cover your tracks or you may soon find yourself being billed for the cost of this rather expensive repair since the problem was pretty obviously caused by your faulty installation of the EV switch.

18. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Sep 9 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]317072[/snapback]</div>
    I have experienced the same problem.....very intermittent and my dealer could not find out what is wrong. THank goodness I bought the extended warranty. I am suspicious that it may just be a failing battery in my FOB.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 23 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]324096[/snapback]</div>
    No, No, No!!! For goodness sakes No. There is no way that the EV switch caused this problem. It is completely unrelated to entering Ready mode. Please don't start fear mongering again. There's absolutely no reason to think the EV mod had anything at all to do with this.

20. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 23 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]324114[/snapback]</div>
    Well could it have been a loose ECU connector? I know when I had it unplugged for my EV mod I turned on the car be accedent. But it did not turn on like it should. It just threw up some errors. Took about 3 restarts to get the warning light off the dash.