1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't go into ready mode!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by augustson, Aug 18, 2006.

1. augustson

augustson New Member

Here's my situation:

I recently picked up my fairly new (8000 miles) Prius from the dealership two days ago where they had to replace the 12v battery. The battery died for no apparent reason and was so dead that they couldn't charge it back up. So... as I was leaving the dealership my car would NOT go into ready mode. I placed my foot on the break, hit the power button, but no ready mode (power button was red). I did this three times. I then walked back in and brought the Prius mechanic out and let HIM try to start the car. It did the same thing to him twice... but on the third time, it finally went into ready mode and after several tries, we couldn't get the car to FAIL to get into ready mode, so I went ahead and brought it home thinking it was a fluke.

I drove the car to work this morning fine... drove it home fine. My wife and I try to leave to go out for dinner and... the car refuses to go into ready mode. I attempted for about 7 minutes before finally giving up and taking her car. After getting BACK from dinner, I try again... the car fails once, but then finally DOES go into ready mode.

I guess my question is does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this. I know the Prius mechanic thought it was VERY strange when he saw it. I haven't seen anything like it in my forum searches, but I was hoping some of you might have some suggestions or other insight. Thanks for your help!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

try and press really hard on the brake pedal before you hit the power button just in case it's the brake light switch that is giving you trouble. Other thing to try is if it won't go into ready have the little lady stand behind the car and tell you if the brake lights come on or not. If not the car won't go into ready. worth a try.

3. rschnapp

rschnapp Junior Member

Bring that puppy back to the dealer, and get THEM to figure it out! That's their job.

4. augustson

augustson New Member

Although I've never had anyone behind looking for brake lights, I know I've been pressing pretty hard on the brake. That was one of my first thoughts when it didn't work the first time.

I will add this-- the first time I tried to start the car, it briefly went to the ready mode, but quickly "slipped" out of ready mode with the power button light turning orange. (Not sure if that means anything or not).

So, Frank-- do you think that if there is some kind of bad connection with the brake light sensor this will keep the car from going into ready?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Second the vote for the brake switch failing.

6. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Aug 18 2006, 09:37 PM) [snapback]305712[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds like a loose connection somewhere, and this is a long shot, will the car go into ready mode with the fob in the key slot?

7. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

you should take it to your Authorized Toyota Dealer and let them check it out

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Aug 18 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]305712[/snapback]</div>
    now that you said it "slipped out of ready" I'm not about to say it's is or isn't the brake light switch. I'm more thinking that it's a loose connection somewhere. Try the fob in the slot like rfred suggested, but if it goes off and on, Dealer time for sure.

9. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Aug 18 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]305717[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same results with the fob in the key slot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 18 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]305740[/snapback]</div>
    I only saw it "slip" the one time. All of the other times it just refused to go

My plan is to take it to the Dealer on Monday when the Prius tech will be there.

Thanks for all of the input!

10. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Aug 19 2006, 08:29 AM) [snapback]305814[/snapback]</div>
    how can it drive or be put into gear if it can't get into ready mode??

11. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yups @ Aug 19 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]306088[/snapback]</div>
    It can't. My car eventually DID go into ready mode, but seems to have this intermittent problem where it won't go into ready mode. Since the tech actually witnessed this, I think he's more likely to believe me about the problem and try to help me when I bring it in.

12. TT0RQ0

TT0RQ0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Aug 19 2006, 08:29 AM) [snapback]305814[/snapback]</div>

Did the Prius tech find out what the problem was?

13. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Austin @ Aug 27 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]310311[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to get my car tomorrow. From my initial conversations, the tech seems to think it had something to do with the recent replacement of the 12v battery and the car somehow being "confused" and having to be "told" about the replacement. (I think he said something had to be reset). None of this makes much sense to me, so I'm going to make certain I get a very CLEAR explanation of what he did and what he thought the problem was. I'll post the results tomorrow.

14. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    dang... my ignorance alarm is going off. I do not know if the tech is someone I would call a 'Prius' tech. I have disconnected the 12V battery many times on my car and my cousins'. I have also temporarily connected to an alternate 12 volt source for testing purposes and have never run into this sort of problem. The worst that happened was I got the big red exlamation mark, and it went away after the usual 3 restarts.

15. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 27 2006, 09:37 PM) [snapback]310356[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm kind suspicious myself... but in the interest of full disclosure my situation WAS one where the old 12v battery had been drained completely-- to the point where they were unable to charge it up. Could THAT make a difference? I'm not really sure what to expect, but the guy knows that I post to two different forums, and that I'll definitely be posting the results of this one-- so I'd think he wouldn't want to look like a complete idiot, but I guess we'll see.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you can get the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) that they got from the CAN Bus with their "computer". Lots of folks around her can help and we may get an idea about what is going on.

17. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 27 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]310367[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure there will actually BE any DTC's. The problem has been intermittent and I'm sure the only reason he's spending as much time with it as he is is because he actually SAW the problem with his own eyes. The car did it to me 4 times before I brought it back, but I'm not sure he was able to actually witness the problem again. I'll ask about the DTC's, however, just to be certain.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    probably won't be any codes set for that.

however, the whole "having to tell the car it has a new 12v battery" thing sets off alarms over here. you don't have to tell the car it's got a new battery. it either gets juice from it or not. the car knows it has a good 12v battery about the time you connect it.

19. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 27 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]310389[/snapback]</div>
    In fairness to the tech, I should mention that when I got this "explanation" for the problem, it wasn't from the tech himself, but from the service manager. Rather than insist that he make more sense, I thought I would wait and just talk to the tech myself. I just figured it was very possible that the service manager was confused or didn't communicate the actual solution very well.

20. Herb

Herb New Member

Is there a an alternate Toyota dealer in your area that you can take the car to for a 2nd opinion? Something smells here.

Your original battery should not die this early. My hunch is that you have a problem that is the source of both your battery's death and the inability to enter ready mode. This could be something as simple as a faulty ground or as major as a bad onboard computer.

I would insist that they do a much more extensive diagnosis. Have you made any significant mods to your Prius (like install an EV switch, etc?)

This just does not feel right to me.