1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wont let me call manually on my cell while i drive...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kev1000000, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

I wanted to call for pizza, but it wouldnt let me call with my PHONE, not the car screen...

I typed it in and it wouldnt call the number, it tried but never went. When i came to a stop, it did go through...

So when you are driving it wont even let you call manually?

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, it is a stupid saftey feature that some people like and some don't. All it does is disable certain features on the touch screen, in your case the key pad, while moving. There is a switch that you can install that will eliminate that. Or, you can program the one touch dial for Pizza, for next time, which you are able to use while driving.
    -Brian

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope you'll pardon me for saying this, but distracted driving is responsible for an obscene number of traffic fatalities. And cell-phone usage is one of the more common forms of distracted driving. Find a safe place to stop, and then order your pizza. It'll taste much better if you make it home all in one piece. Sounds to me like just one more thing Toyota got right.

4. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Yea but, it doesnt let you call at all, even if you dont use the car to do it...

What if i needed to call someone real quick that wasent in the phone book's one touch dial thingy?

It still should let the call go through, thats all im saying...

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whether you use the car to make the call, or you use the phone directly to make the call, it's still distracted driving. I cannot imagine why they even allow the one-touch dialler to make a call while the car is moving.

If you "need" to make a call, you can stop. The roads are dangerous enough as it is. The same applies to eating, applying makeup, changing your shoes or your shirt, etc.

6. Huck

Huck New Member

In my daily driving, I go through about 40 traffic lights, most of which are red when I get to them (no one seems to have given any thought to synchronizing them), so there is plently of time for ordering pizza while stopped. And I do think that accidents caused by people driving while dialing is probably going to be what kills most of us, replacing cancer and heart disease.

That said, you can disable bluetooth from your cell phone, which disconnects it from the car. Then you can use it like a normal phone. (Which is to say safely and responsibly).

7. bobme

bobme New Member

I suggest you add "411" to your address book. At least with T-Mobile, I can call directory assistance to get any number I need and they will connect it automatically. Sure is safer than manual dialing while driving. Sure it costs a buck, but could be well worth it.