1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't run when given gas/go in park.Engine always has ran rough at start up.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lacey, Jul 24, 2024 at 11:08 AM.

1. Lacey

Lacey New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PLEASE HELP!!!

So my 2015 Prius has been running rough at start up and low mph, like the engine will seize/shake but once I get driving at speeds higher than like 25-30mph it's been running great.

This morning my dumb self made an oopsie and when I tried to do a u turn I failed miserably and ended up in a shallow ditch I couldn't put it in gear after that and if I could it wouldnt move. Dad pulled me out and now the car when it starts seizes/shakes worse and I couldnt put the car into drive or reverse at first. We unplugged the hybrid battery to reset/charged and now the car will go into drive and reverse but when given gas all we hear is a whirling sound. The car also will not go into park even though it is showing in park on the dash.
    The codes it's throwing are p0128, p0401, and p0420
    Please help lol

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Unfortunately it sounds like you're coming up on the generation 3 lot of work and maintenance issues 3,500 to $6,000 is not unheard of so if you don't have that kind of money it may be time to start thinking about less gas mileage and more go like a Yaris Corolla Chevrolet Aveo if you must something but you'll need to get it around to a few places and a few mechanics and see what everybody has to say You've got enough reading to keep you busy for about 2 months unless you're a very fast reader and comprehend very well because this stuff all goes round and round and long circles and stretches to far ends of the globe seriously it's a lot of reading It's a lot of round and round and a lot of numbers and lot of ifs and if you don't have time for all these antics and the ifs you may want to bow out now and get yourself a car that you personally can deal with because in my eyes this is not it and for a girl too not saying that girls can't do anything just I wouldn't put my daughter in this vehicle even when it was a lot younger and before the problems began and she even knows it. Has nothing to do with that unfortunately I don't know what happened You like the way the car looked doesn't really matter at this point many people have been in your shoes and many people have been disappointed and as many people and more have been very happy so it's a real toss-up in this day and age you can't really believe everything you read and see because well it's a lot of things going on. And good luck with your choices there will be some of that involved unfortunately

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many miles on your Prius?

Which warning lights are illuminated on the dash?

I am guessing that the scan tool that you are using can not read all the trouble codes that your car has. I would advise you to purchase a better scan tool. Read this thead:https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690
    Choose a scan tool that can read all the trouble codes (look at the data column, they are the ones that say "All"). The Autel AP200 is a good choice.

#3 Brian1954, Jul 25, 2024 at 12:09 PM
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2024 at 12:18 PM