1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Won't Start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jaredflaherty, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jaredflaherty

jaredflaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gen III, 2010 Prius III

There is a flashing yellow triangle, dashboard lights up, but won't start. The dome lights won't turn off, in any position.

Drove it last night and drive it regularly, daily. I came out to the driver side door being not fully closed.

Any idea what's going on?

I've tried it several times and now the only thing showing up on dash is the yellow triangle and the transmission symbol. Making weird noises from dashboard.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your 12 volt battery is so discharged it will not power up the computers.

There is ZERO protection on a Prius from jump starting badly, you will blow from $500 to $4000 worth of electronics. So be very careful to hook cables up right. Or better, use a jump start pack.

The Prius battery has very little reserve, so it is very likely your battery will never recover.

Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + , Prius V & Plug-in Prius with Instructions

Toyota's Jump start procedure

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47668U/pdf/sec_05_02.pdf

(page 48 of the PDF, page 543 of the manual)

HaroldW likes this.
  3. jaredflaherty

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks... so, you are saying that the 12V battery got discharged from having dome lights on all night? And I should replace the battery, correct? When you say "the prius battery has very little reserver, so it is very likley your battery will never recover" are you referring to the 12V battery or the big battery that powers the car?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12 volt. it powers up the computers so the big (hybrid) battery can run the motors and/or start the engine. jump it and drive it around for awhile, if it shows any signs of defficiency, replace it. otherwise, you may be fine. they can stand one or two drain downs, depending on thier health.

5. jaredflaherty

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ok, thanks! do you think this would be related to another issue i've been having... from time to time, when i push the power button the vehicle never turns "on"... the dashboard stuff comes on and whatnot, however, the car isn't "ready" and doesn't go into gear. i have to hold down the power button for several seconds until it turns off and then it will start OK. ??

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This might be related. Make sure you press the brake pedal down hard, when starting the Prius.

I agree that you need to either charge the 12V battery or replace it now.

7. jaredflaherty

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i have a remote starter that i use a lot. i wonder how that might play in?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it shouldn't, unless the installation has gone bad somehow. start with the battery and go from there. if you hadn't left the door open, we'd be scratching our heads more. as far as pushing the start button, as patrick stated, that's probably lack of pressure on the brake pedal. if you don't 'make the brake switch, you're going into accessory mode.

9. jaredflaherty

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    riddle me this please: why do the dome lights still work if the battery drained down?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps not totally dead, but not enough for computers? or we could be way off and the problem is much more serious.

11. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP - it's your 12 volt battery. I just did some reading on this as mine died this week too with very similar symptoms to your car. It's called "suicide mode" where there's not enough 12 volt power to start all the ECUs but enough to get the car "trapped" into trying to start the systems. In fact, I could not even "power down" mine once it entered suicide mode.

I had to disconnect the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery and then get a new one. I found a new battery at O'Reilly for around $190 and installed it myself. Problems are now solved and there's a 3 year warranty on the new one. You will lose your presets and trip odo data when you do the change-out.

12. jaredflaherty

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    excellent, thank you. i am off to get a battery from my local place at $199 which seems a bit high, but i need it.

so, my battery is dead and my auto door locks don't work and the trunk is locked. any advice?

13. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a panel on the back hatch that allows access to the latch mechanism. You will have to crawl in to access it.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or, you can hook a portable starter/charger to the post in the fuse box under the hood, and save the gymnastics for the olympics.:)

15. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP - be sure to remove the little 90 degree black plastic elbow from the original battery - your new one won't come with it. It's the vent tube connector. $199 is about right - mine was $190 including tax. You will need a 10 mm crescent wrench and a 10 mm socket to remove the brackets and connectors. The old battery will then just lift out. Reverse to install the new one. I started with the plus terminal first, negative second.
    Reset your clock and radio presets. Your Prius will have to "re-learn" your driving habits again so expect the CONS readings to be low at first.

16. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can the Prius be jump started directly from the battery in the trunk area?

17. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't do it that way. Open the hood and then pop off the cover plate over the exterior fuse panel (upper right area - driver's side). You will see a small red rectangular cover near the top. Flip it open from left to right and you will see a positive terminal there. Connect that to your jumper cable and then to the other car. Then connect the negative to a solid metal part of the Prius which is grounded. Next connect the other negative to the other car's negative terminal. Don't rev the other car - all you need is a bit of 12 volt juice to activate all the Prius ECUs. Carefully disconnect in reverse order - close the red tab.

18. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Is there a difference doing from the back of the car though? Just curious.

19. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't say...the manual recommends (and my service rep also concurred) doing a jumpstart from the front. The battery compartment is a bit tight and if your positive jump cable accidentally touched the body...not good.

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes