1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Won't Try to Start After Repair- Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joey066, Aug 9, 2010.

1. joey066

joey066 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car had a new bumper installed, and now they can't get it to start. When you hit the button to start, the red "immobilizer" anti-theft light blinks for a moment like the key is not in the car.

This is true even if the key is inserted into the dash. The remote key still can open and close/lock the doors just fine, so this is strange.

They did mention that they had to recharge the battery for some reason. I don't know why the battery had died for them, but it is charged now. (Headlights, etc work fine).

Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few questions to provide some context:

1) Which bumper was replaced, and what other accident damage happened to the car?

2) Did the car operate prior to this body work being performed?

3) Odometer reading?

4) When the POWER button is depressed, does anything happen besides the anti-theft LED continuing to blink?

5) If nothing is happening, then I suggest that all of the fuses in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter, and the box under the instrument panel on the driver's side should be checked. Do not rely upon visual inspection, remove each fuse one at a time and use a multimeter on the ohmmeter setting to check continuity. Good luck.

3. joey066

joey066 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It never occurred to me that I could check fuses with a multimeter. Am I looking for a particular resistance and actually running current through?

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a continuity check on the fuses.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a digital multimeter, first measure resistance across the test leads by shorting them together. See what the reading is and let's call that value "x".

Then measure the resistance across the fuse terminals, and subtract x from the measurement. The result should be something like 0.2 ohms or less.

Also, take a look at the fusible links. They are located in a 5" long plastic box (clear cover, white sides) that is within the main relay/fuse box near the inverter. These are high current fuses that you cannot remove to test, but you can at least look at them and see whether there are visible breaks in the links.

If you note any problem, note the name of the fuse in question and post.

I am wondering whether the body shop staff decided to jump start your car, reversed the battery polarity, and caused the no-start situation. Depending upon what you find, you may be able to confirm or refute this hypothesis.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Has anyone else noticed that there's been other users here post similar stories about having their Prius at a workshop/bodyshop and the battery going flat, requiring a jump or recharge? I'm sure I've heard this story before and it's definitely a bit of a concern. I agree with Patrick that they may have screwed something up when they tried to jump it (or charge it in the vehicle).

After reading some of these stories I think if i ever have to leave my Prius at a bodyshop etc then I'll give them express instructions not to touch anything electrical and if they flatten the battery then to just leave it until I get there. This stuff really worries me now!

7. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depending on what the circuit is, you cannot measure the fuse resistance with the fuse in the circuit. You can either remove each fuse, and measure the resistance, which should be much less then 1 ohm (as Patrick correctly describes), or measure the voltage across each fuse in the fuse holder. You should be able to do this if you have sharp enough probes. If you read any voltage more then a few tens of millivolts, the fuse is open. If you read zero volts, then check the fuse resistance.