1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jason Packel, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Jason Packel

Jason Packel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my 2007 Prius won't turn off half the time due to an electrical issue, my mechanic said he has fixed this a lot, and it is $900. Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's often the combo meter. you can get one from texas hybrid batteries for $200. and swap it yourself

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I think several You order the silly display all fixed from Texas hybrids like said above You send your old one back and you get $75 off the 200 and then it takes about 2.2 hours for an unskilled person to pull the vents undo the necessary screws pull off the dash pad undo and remove the display or CM monitor board put the new one in I recommend you take the speaker off the back of the one you're putting in at least that's my preference stops all the beeps and buzzes and put it all back together and that's generally it even an incompetent person this wouldn't cost anywhere near $900 even with a labor rate of $150 an hour so there's always that. When the CM monitor is failing or failed all you need to do is hold the power button until the car shuts off and let go of it quickly when the lights go off you know the display in the middle and the clock and all that The clock is kind of what you want to keep an eye on I think that's best. If you want to get all this working again inexpensively open the hatch of the car notice on the dashboard that you don't see the red icon that the hatch or a door is open It's not on If you remove on the right side of the tail of the car inside the car there's a little plastic cap below the tail light if you undo this plastic cap and slide it to the right it will unplug from the panel and you can just set it down in the car now when you look through that hole that you just created with the flashlight you'll see the negative terminal of your battery screwed with a gold screw loosen that goal screw with a 10 mm long extension and a drive tool loosen don't remove now reach your hand in there and move the wire on the eye that you just loosened You need to have it loose enough that you can move it from the metal of the car and touch it back you'll hear the electrical noises You're doing this while you're looking at the display for the door open icon to turn red when it does lock the bolt down that you loosened for the negative terminal Don't put the plastic panel back on just leave it in the trunk put your ratchet somewhere where it won't roll around close the trunk notice through the window that the icon turned off on the dash. Now go and open the door don't get in the car look at the dash You see the door open icon is lit up when you push the start button with the brake pedal push your car is going to ready and you're going to have a gas gauge and regular display operable want to keep this like this when you get finished using the car and you're ready to shut it off for the night or go in the house or whatever get a little piece of plastic like a credit card Go to the hatch open the hatch make sure the door open light is on put the credit card over the hatch slot and gently put the hatch down It can't latch the red light stays on you go in the house and mind your business You have the remote with you You could lock the front doors manually if you wanted to whatever when you come out in the morning you'll look through the window and you'll see that door a jar light still open or still on You can go ahead and open your door walk to the trunk grab the credit card close the trunk get in the car ready the car and have a display repeat tomorrow or this evening or again when you're ready I did this for 2 years no problems