1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wouldn't start today

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bilkes, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Bilkes

Bilkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone. This is my first time visiting the forum and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I own a 2007 Prius, just hit 196,000 miles today. I bought the car from my father in law about a year and a half ago.

Today, I drove to work and everything was normal. When I tried to leave, I pressed the brake, clicked the power button, and several dash lights came on (ABS, ( ! ), Check Engine) and the digital display components were fluttering. Initially I suspected a battery issue. I arranged to have it jump started and it sat for about an hour, but when I tried to start it again it started up just fine...

Some research that I did suggests that it's probably the auxiliary 12v battery that's going bad, and I have no idea if it's ever been replaced. If that's the case, is this something I can purchase and install easily myself? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I've done several fixes on past vehicles.

Some other issues I've had:

Sometimes when I go to start the car and press the brake, the pedal sinks much further than it should, almost to the floor. Other times it will catch as it does when braking normally. Is this something to be concerned about?

In the past, whenever I double tapped the power button to roll the windows down, they move incredibly slow. Also when using the double tap for non-driving power, I'll get an alert on the screen saying something about the parking mechanism. Could these be battery related as well?

Thanks for any help. I just want to make sure I get as much info as possible before I spend any money on fixes.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it probably is your 12v. you can get a new one at the dealer, online, or places lie auto parts stores or even battues plus bulbs stores. yes, easy to install yourself. make sure you get the correct size battery w/ vent tube. all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. Bilkes

Bilkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thanks. Guess I'll start shopping haha. Where is the best place to purchase one?

The more I research this the more nervous I'm getting about the possibility of it being my HV battery going bad. If that's the case, am I screwed?

#3 Bilkes, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this is the battery many users here purchase.

5. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Doesn't sound like HV battery. These are classic 12V symptoms, with the exception being the brake. Although the brake accumulator can charge more slowly with a depleted 12V, so maybe it's just having trouble keeping it charged. The windows and P mechanism are common 12V symptoms. You may see an MPG drop as well as the traction battery diverts more power to charging the 12V.

RCO likes this.
  6. Bilkes

Bilkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do any retail stores carry that (or a similar) battery? I was hoping to get it today or tomorrow and not wait on shipping.

So is it pretty unlikely that it's the HV battery? I'm kinda freaking out because I definitely can't afford that big of a fix.

Ok, that's a relief!

Kramah313 likes this.
  7. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might be able to find one at a batteries plus or something like that, but it will probably be way more expensive than ordering it on Amazon or some online site. You can also probably get one from the dealer, but again, $$$$.

8. Bilkes

Bilkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you're probably right. I'll get the Amazon one and hope my current one lasts a few more days.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RCO likes this.
  10. Bilkes

Bilkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome thank you! I'll check that out. And thank you guys for the help!