1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius XM ~ Need advice please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by macreative, Aug 12, 2005.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

I want to buy the PriusXM kit from priusXM.com
    but before I do so I would reallly like your feedback!

1) Does anybody have it?
    2) Was it difficult to install it yourself?
    3) Is it worth the effort, would you do it again?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

-Rob

2. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1. I have it.
    2. No, thanks to the supplied instructional DVD, it wasn't hard to install. Just watch the DVD a couple of times prior to installation and you'll be just fine.
    3. Yes and Yes!

Go for it. After you experience XM, anything else is second rate!

Randy

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Preamble:
    The Search function is your friend:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/search.php...hp?mode=results - a plethora of info and testimonials that more than answer your 3 questions.

1)Yes, lots of people have it. I didn't buy my kit from PriusXM, but it's the same thing, the Solara XM kit available from Toyota. PriusXM is just the first to supply a bracket and install DVD...and that's it. I think they now have a micro antenna (which I'd recommend getting, the OEM one is huge and ugly).

2)It wasn't "difficult" for me to install, but it is time consuming, a bit intimidating, and can result in some cuts and scratches. I think a lot depends on your comfort level with disassembly of your car. It isn't technically difficult to accomplish but you do disassemble the dash with the PriusXM kit (not with the Coastal instructions), and you have to run the wire all the way to the back of the car which means pulling up trim and running the wire under carpet and such.

3)I absolutely think it was worth the effort and would do it again.

4. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't wait for my XM. Next week, it gets installed. I have XM in my SCION xA. It's just the best thing to happen to radio, for ever. Well, at least since I was a radio DJ...

:mrgreen:

5. BobR

BobR Member

I got XM Radio from Coastal when he was offering 1 year free service. It was quite a deal. XM Radio is fantastic as I drive between states on a regular basis.
    You might want to check out Metro Eddie:
    http://www.metrotpn.com/
    His XM costs $240 w/ free activation and 90 days of service.
    It was pretty easy to install, just nerve racking taking my new car apart.
    I would do it again.

Bob

6. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

That Metro Eddie deal looks great. His install pdf manual probably isn't as good as the priusxm dvd but looks usable.

It seems that Priusxm is the only one that includes a custom made bracket to hold the receiver. Can anyone explain more about this bracket and whether it is needed...

Where is the bracket installed and What does the bracket attach to?
    Any pictures of the bracket?
    Does it seem important to those of you who have one?

7. BobR

BobR Member

What leads you to believe that PriusXM has a custom made bracket? I checked the PriusXM website and saw nothing about this. The location that both Metro Eddie and Coastal suggest is a very snug fit. I don't believe the receiver is going to move.

I used both Eddie's and Coastal's instructions, but either one would do. Plus there have been a number of posts on here and PriusOnline with additional information for the install.

Bob

8. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member