1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius2010 does not start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pei_lin, Mar 2, 2018.

1. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys,

Overall happy with my 2010, but here is my frustrated story:
    Went for a 5 day holiday, when I came back to the airport parking, I cannot even open the door by button. so use the key, then the car is dead, totally no elecricity whatsoever... (Maybe because it was cold winter, but still, just 5 days...)

In the end my wife and baby had to take bus while I waited staff from parking to jump start the car, and drove home. again, after parked my car at home, cannot start anymore..

The thing is, I changed 12v battery in Toyota workshop just 3 months ago...

Will go to the workshop tomorrow... but meanwhile, I wonder (after searching in this forum) if I should have some essential like BatteryMINDer Charger or jump starter? So next time I can at least diy... newbie wrt car...

thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

a jump pack is always a good idea, but a healthy 3 month old battery shouldn't need it. even in the winter.
    get a cheap volt meter, and start monitoring the voltage. could be a defective battery, or a parasitic drain.
    and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight, especially the negative to body connection.
    all the best!(y)

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your kind reply. Will check it out. Just do not understand, why after jump start and driving 40 minutes in highway, once the engine is turned off, the car is dead again, cannot turn on or even close/open door. If parasitic drain, then the start battery should not be drained that instantly, right? Just to clarify, by "defective battery" you refer to 12v start battery, right?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the 12v starter battery. but, prius does not charge it, only maintains with a very slow charge. it would take about 8 hours to charge, so you need to leave it in ready all day, or put a trickle charger on it.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't go all out and invest on a charger unless you plan on not driving for more than 2 or 3 consecutive days on a weekly basis, troubleshoot the battery first. The battery was probably deteriorating and was on it's last legs and gave out. You drove the car home after the jump but the battery couldn't start the car again, most likely battery can't retain charge anymore because it reach of the end life, or prius wasn't didn't drive long enough to charge it back to optimal charge level. Check the battery month/year label, if it's 5 years or older beyond, get a new battery because most batteries lives are 5 years. My guess is battery life has reached its end.

Before you install a new battery, always watch them test the new battery with a volt meter first to show that it is 12.6 volts or higher. Anything below 12.6, the battery will be dead sooner than later. Doesn't matter if it's never been installed before, new batteries can become faulty just sitting at store shelves. And keep recipts also, some stores are nice enough to trade it in for another one w/o charge if battery they sell you fails that soon (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your reply. Newbie with car so back to November when Toyota dealer changed the 12v battery I did not check volt... actually I just left car there and rented their car instead to commute and come back the day after to pick up the car.

Today my neighbour helped jump start the car and it is back to normal again.. went to shop buying a charger & starter..

7. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    just checked volt, it is only 12.1/ 12.2, can I use this to show that battery (which was installed 2017 nov) as fault to Toyota workshop? Called them a few days ago and they said if there is something wrong with the battery they can change a new one for free otherwise I have to pay ca 100 usd for their check up... Hmmm

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thats very good information. Yes, do show them the voltage readout and if there is any proof of purchase, bring that also. Hope they stand behind their service & product and replace your battery at no charge.

9. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An update here and one more question..

Two days after the post I drove to the Toyota dealer which changed my battery back in Nov 2017. They checked the car for one day and told me there was nothing wrong with the 12v battery...

ok, went home, bought a smart charger just in case...

Then... two weeks ago, went for Easter holiday, parked the car in the airport, and came back one week ago, all good. drove home ( 100 km). When we arrived home, I notice gas was low.. showed the warning sign.. Too lazy, tried to go home with my 2 year old and pump gas later (I do not use car for daily commute)..

Then 4 days later, cannot start the car again.. same symptom.

This time I tried to use my newly bought smart charger. My question, is it important to choose battery type AGM (my car use original battery), not mess up to WET or GEL? How much damage would it be if the battery type was not configured properly? And what amp is recommended, from 2a to 15a?

Thanks... I will try to charge the battery more frequently going forward...