1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusC 2 review

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by griain, Sep 30, 2012.

1. griain

griain New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have found this site helpful while determining what car to buy. I hope that my review will be of equal value to those in a similar situation.
    About a year ago, I started looking for a car to replace my 10 year old Nissan Sentra, which was having issues. I had three requirements: I wanted a hatchback, good milage, and a price under $20,000.
    The first car I test drove was the ubiquitous Honda Fit. I found the drivers seat very uncomfortable, the ride bumpy, the engine whiney, and the stereo sub par. The next car was a Hyundai Accent, I found everything about it, except the electric green color, mediocre. I felt that neither car was an improvement over my Sentra except for milage and even that was not so great..
    This spring, I was elated to read about the Toyota PriusC and equally dismayed to find that, because of short supply and high demand, the dealers were charging up to $600.00 above SRP. No way am I paying above SRP for any car.
    Fast forward five months. Out of curiosity and an upcoming 8 hour trip to Maine and back, I checked the price again and got a quote for under $20,00 for a PriusC 2. Time for a test drive.
    You probably know that the exterior looks very cool, well it’s even cooler in person. I found the drivers seat very comfortable and supportive, the layout of the dashboard/controls, the shelf above the glove compartment, the shifter on the floor, and included cargo cover equally appealing. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the six speaker sound system is, not audiophile, but very decent quality sound for a stock stereo.
    One of my concerns was how well this relatively low powered, automobile could accelerate up hill, merge into traffic, etc. Let me tell you, I did not find this a problem, even in Eco mode. Three things impressed me about the drive train, the seamless integration of the EV and ICE, the very smooth function of the Continuously Variable Transmission, and the sound of the engine itself. Unlike the previous two cars I test drove, when I stepped on the accelerator I was extremely pleased to hear what I can only describe as a pleasant thrum instead of an obnoxious whine.
    Another concern was cargo space. On my recent trip to Acadia National Park in Maine I was able to fit everything, food, clothing, supplies into this sub compact car. Even with a full load, driver and passenger, I got over 50 MPG, and the engine is not even broken in yet! On short trips I was able to achieve over 70MPG according to the computer. So, even though I have only driven this car less than a month, I love it. It is everything that I hoped it would be.

Tracy, photogrl13, WiscPriusc and 2 others like this.
  2. Emily Allerton

Emily Allerton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I love this. I also totally agree with you!

3. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome aboard! I traded a stylish BMW coupe with a less than stellar ride for this very pretty C2 and have been mighty pleased with the exchange. If I'd not needed to undertake highway trips for work purposes in September I'm quite sure my Fuelly average would be in the 60's. Toyota should change the name to WonderCar.

4. WiscPriusc

WiscPriusc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I too, have a two. I downsized from a Subaru. While it has taken some adjustment (the Legacy was pretty sporty) I find the PriusC Two to be a pleasure to drive. I essentially doubled my mpg, the hatch is great, the color beautiful. No problems getting up to highway speeds, a bit noisy until it settles on a speed, but fine thereafter. This month, I will put on four snows for the Wisconsin winter. I imagine I may see a decrease of 5 mpg or so, but it will still get over 20 mpg better than the Subaru. Loving it!

5. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a C Two as well. Came from a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid that started eating oil like it was going out of style (1 qt per 600 miles). I was looking for a versatile car as my needs vary a lot. I bike, kayak, do home improvement, and also like thrifting/trash picking furniture. I did not want to go down in efficiency, so choices were fairly limited for me. I test drove a C about four months before we got ours, we went out together the night before, came back the next day and drove home with it. I've been to Florida and back and can attest that it does just fine up mountains, though I tend to use the truck lane anyways as I'm a bit obsessed with mpgs. This is by far the best car I've owned yet. It is everything you said...comfortable, stylish, sounds good inside and out, and efficient. I will also say it is the quietest car I've owned as well. I don't feel like I have to shout while going 55 anymore.

I've already recommended this car to many people and everyone who has seen it so far has been positive. Mention mpgs and most people exclaim. Looking forward to many miles in the C.

6. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    PC2 here also. Made the most sense to me although alloys would have been nice. You are spot on why the C is great. Compare my still in use '97 Prizm's MPG to the C.