1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priuschat Business Cards

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jan 2, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I originally started this thread on the "old version" of Priuschat. For some reason, it did not carry over. So here it is, again.

Additionally, I print mine on regular 20# paper. The thinness of the paper compared to cardstock paper allows me to carry more in my wallet.

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Thanks, Tony. A few questions:

Is this an "official" PC "project", that is, approved by Danny and with other "card-carrying-and-distributing" members, for the expressed purpose of growing PC? Or is it something you just wanted to do on your own?

Has there ever been any discussion of spreading the word about PC through a device such as business cards?

If so, did the idea extend to possibly distributing cards through cooperating Toyota dealers to all of their buyers of new Priuses?

That's my idea in a nutshell.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    some of the sales reps at DH's dealer now suggest PC as a good source of prius info... of course, they got that info from DH. ;)

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jack, the business cards are something I wanted to do and just did it. Then other members gave suggestions to tweak their apperance. In all, they went through several iterations. In fact, you will see differences between the Avery ones and the cut-out-by-hand ones. That's because I prefer to hand out the ones that do not sound like a marketing schpeal.

When I originally made those, I was still in regular contact with my dealer's sales rep. I had given him my cell number so that he could call me with questions for himself and his customers. After a few calls, I decided to just make a few sheets of cards and give them to him. He had two card holders on his desk: his card and the PC cards.

As for using cards to spread the word about PC, I put them under the windshield wipers of unsuspecting Prii and hand them to people when I see them in person. Often, I'll write my name and email on the back so they can email me if they like.

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Might be very interesting to start a new poll? "How did you hear about PC?"

1. Search Engine
    2. Recommendation of a Prius owner
    3. From a Toyota dealer/salesperson
    4. PC Business Card
    5. Other

or something along these lines.

I found it via google upon a hunch that something like PC must exist

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Well, it was a great idea on your part, and the prototype for doing it semi-nationwide (on a voluntary basis).

To me, the key would be the PC "rep" approaching an "upper-level" salesperson, e.g., Fleet Mgr., or even the Sales Mgr. himself/herself, rather than a bottom-rung critter. Then it'd be a matter of making a "PC pitch" in a "warm, friendly" manner, almost as a supplicant, as opposed to smug, know-it-all, etc.

The approach could also be made with a few of john 1701a's downloadable flyers---which could even find their way into the hands of salescritters as an educational tool, if nothing else. The PCer could then simply write his/her own name/phone/e-mail address on the back of one of the cards and ask the Sales person to call or e-mail if he/she ran out and needed more.

Of course, the PCer would need to extend an invitation to the Sales person to visit PC himself/herself to check it out---and hope that, if the offer is taken up, he/she doesn't stumble on an anti-dealer rant! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I'd like to see this tried. What's to lose? I'd bet at least 25-30 PCers would be interested in doing this, and some with more than their own dealer, too. I would personally be willing to approach five or more dealers.

The only "work" necessary on your (Danny's?) end would be knowing who was doing it in what area, possibly to prevent overlap/duplication, which would be a possibility here in CA and maybe other places.

PC can obviously and legitimately be touted as a RESOURCE to BOTH dealers and buyers: we demonstrably promote and increase actual sales, AND we provide an educational resource for owners, especially in detailed matters that few critters could be expected to master.

What do you think?

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

This poll has been done and has had a lot of responses. It appears infrequently among the older rotating polls.

8. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ahhhh, thanks.

Brings me back to asking for a list of polls somewhere, though :lol:

I was just wondering if there is anyone here who heard of it thru the business cards that have been passed out? How effective is the business card concept? I suspect it could be quite effective, but just got to wondering.

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Maybe Tony knows if his labors have borne any fruit. If only he has done this, probably too small a sample.

There may be some trade association, e.g., a National Business Card Council or whatever, that has "data". That's in quotes because if there is such a thing, it's undoubtedly inflated. But I wonder, too.

But I think that most new car buyers are so excited they're sure to look at everything a dealer gives to them, or puts in the glove compartment.

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Libertyville Toyota, in Chicagoland, has a Scion area with internet access. They use it to access Scion sites. It's pretty slick how they have it set up. But I go over and pull up PC. I showed it to my sales rep and he showed it to a few others. So I know they know about the site and have internet access on site if they choose to show customers.

As for tracking effectiveness, I can't say that I've even tried. I've given out at least a few dozen cards but can't say that I've had anyone follow-up indicating that I'm the one who got them to come here and register.