1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priuschat immersion leaves me wondering/worrying about...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

For me, there are several issues that I have not been able to resolve and feel comfortable about. I thought a good thread might be one that merely lists these kinds of perplexities, so that those out there that feel they can confidently reassure others, will step up. By reassure, I mean, offer practical advise, rather than arguing the physics of the issue. Not that arguing the physics isn't interesting and important in its own right, but in the meantime, there is the need to be safe and sound.

Visibility. :blink: There's something bizarre about the Prius visibility. I feel like there are blindspots and awkwardnesses involving the front-side pillars as well as viewing the road to my right and rear right when I want to change lanes to my right. The road to my left seems to have a blind spot directly next to me, but this doesn't scare me quite as much.

Traction! :unsure: To say the least, I deepended on all of the threads on traction control: is it horrible or great, is it effective or dangerous. I live in Santa Cruz, so I don't routinely drive on black ice or in 100 inches of snow. Nevertheless there have been scary statements, including from Pinto_Girl about what happens when one turns left on wet or gravely surfaces, suddenly looses power, just when a truck is bearing down on them. What does one do? Release throttle until traction and power return. This sounds dicey. How long is the delay? How often does this happen? I haven't had it happen, but I'm worried. I also worry about taking our Prius on any excursions where we might encounter less than ideal driving surfaces, while out in the middle of nowhere.

Park can't be released if car can't be turned on, so you can't push or tow it! God help anyone that has the traction problem AND the inability to get the car out of park, all at the same time! :eek:

Blue Tooth and initiating a stinking, flaming, phone call without touching the MFD. There is a way to do it. I just know there is. What the **** is it?

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Feb 11 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]388530[/snapback]</div>
    Use the off hook and voice buttons on the steering wheel.

3. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Feb 11 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]388530[/snapback]</div>
    Check out the telephone mode commands listed in post #3 of this thread: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...+voice+commands

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)Visibility is different, but quite good when you get used to it. Learn to look through both back hatch windows simultaneously. The front pillars do, on occasion, get in the way if you're at a non-right-angle intersection, but even so it's not something you can't see around.

2)TRAC--I'm not sure what your concern is here....are you worried b/c of personal experience or b/c others have experienced issues? With the OEM Integrity tires I had traction interuptions on wet pavement. Narry an issue with HydroEdges. Snow and ice you can't expect some slippage, but I've not had this become hazardous in the 4 winters I've had the car. I do have to 'stutter' up a gravel driveway that's rather steep at my lake house, but I've never become as bogged down as the house keeper did in her rear-wheel drive mustang on the same hill.

3)Park release.... Come on, seriously there must be only a hand full of people this has ever been a problem with ever. The 12v battery has to be dead to prevent you from getting into IG On mode which would enable you to get into Neutral from Park. In a worst case situation where it was impossible to jump the car you might have to get the front end on casters to move it from a tight spot, but if you're that bad off you're going to have a lot bigger concerns than if you can get out of park or not. This is completely a non-issue IMO.

4)As others have mentioned those of you w/ BT and an '06+ MY have the ability to use voice commands to dial. You've got 17 presets for the 1-touch to dial your most commonly used numbers...be sure that's programmed. If the use of multiple numbers and dialing from the MFD is something you need frequently or is important to you you can find instructions posted on this site for how to put a switch on the speed sensor wire so you can interupt it at will to give full access to the BT functionality at any time.

5. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Yes, of course I know and have tried using the

Speak, off-hook, and on-hook buttons on the steering wheel, as well as the blue tooth voice commands, for Telephone Mode

~Dial by number
    ~Dial by name
    ~Dial
    ~Call

My problem is that I can't use the steering wheel to invoke the mode in which I can give these commands. I can only seem to get into that mode through much fumbling and trial and error, involving hands-on contact with the MFD. I keep getting into a mode where it wants me to dial by number. I want to get into a mode where I can dial by name.

I do not want to have to manipulate the MFD by hand while I am driving, as I am terrible at driving with my eyes on the MFD. This is a huge safetly issue for me. I need things to be set up and to leave them without touching the MFD, and for the most part that is easy with the prius, even better than other cars. But I can't initiate a phone call. Obviously, I don't mean to bother people before I actually tried all of the appropriate means to get into that mode. I know I am doing something stupid, but at least I am trying things!

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Feb 11 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]388574[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe you can clearly explain, step by step, what you're doing that's making the process so difficult for you. Perhaps you're making a simple mistake that can be clarified.

Also, you didn't say if you have your 1-touch buttons programmed or not. Using the steering wheel control to get to that screen means just touching one button on the MFD....I don't think you can consider that 'fumbling around'.

7. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

My experience with the traction control, which was also true in a Porsche Boxster I owned, is that the power cut-off is intended to keep you moving by preventing wheelspin. I've never felt the need to back out of the throttle. Just keep your foot down and let the system work for you.

And don't pull in front of big trucks!

8. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Feb 11 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]388574[/snapback]</div>
    I have the voice command set to beeps only so the first thing I do is press the talk switch (looks like a head with lines coming out) and the car beeps.
    I say dial by name.
    Jill says "Dial by name has been chosen. After the display has updated, please briefly touch the talk switch.:
    The radio comes back on and the screen switches to the phone book screen. All selections are greyed out.
    I touch the talk switch.
    Jill says, please say the name.
    I say the name
    Jill says, "Name chosen, please briefly push the talk switch or push the off hook(telephone with receiver off the hook) switch to dial."
    Radio comes back on briefly and I push the off hook switch and dial.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Feb 11 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]388530[/snapback]</div>
    You won't be able to do much about the A-pillars, but as for rear visibility when changing lanes. You should adjust your mirrors as described in http://cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/, regardless of the car. It'll take a bit to get used to these settings but it'll be a net positive in the end.

When I got my Z, I found the blind spots to the rear to be horrible. Now, I'm totally used to them as the above really helps compensate.