1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Roundtable: Quick thoughts on the Prius Family names

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome to the PriusChat Roundtable, where a group of supposed "experts" weigh in on Prius matters. Today we're tackling the rumored naming convention for the upcoming Prius family. In case you missed it, a dealer source tells PriusChat that the names of the new models will be the Prius V and the Prius C. Let's hear what the roundtable thinks about the names. Evan Fusco (efusco), PriusChat Moderator & Prius Expert The names Prius V and Prius C have the romance of classic car names like the "K car" and the "Ford 500"--both of which were notorious flops. They invoke nothing memorable, nothing exciting, nothing that plants a seed in one's memory. That said, I think it's OK, the 'Prius' appellation will bring about some obvious recognition. And while a numeric or specific name might have been more memorable, I think that, ultimately, it could have caused even more confusion. Imagine the Prius 3 III, or the Prius runner 3 or whatever. In the end, I'd like to think that the marketing geniuses could have/should have thought of something more exciting and descriptive, but ultimately these cars will have to stand on their own and even odd letter names will not help nor hinder that. Russell Frost, Co-Host of the What Drives Us podcast, founder of Prius Owner's Group, & Prius Expert This is a tough one for a few reasons. First, no one is NOT going to buy the cars because of those names. They may not be as marketable and have the built-in advantage a great name would have but it won't kill sales. No is going to say, "I wanted to buy that new Prius but I'll damned if I'm going to buy anything called 'V'." Add in a basically conservative company that likely already focus groups things to death and you have that organism that almost always manages to kill creativity, the committee. I think those names are weak and I think more audacious names would be better but I don't have millions riding on it. It's difficult, at least sometimes, to fault a company for taking a perceived safe route. Finally, I also the built-in double entendre of sorts where the names of the vehicles are also Roman numerals. Is that "C" or 100? V or 5? Jon (Tideland Prius) - PriusChat Moderator & Prius Expert Well "V" supposedly stands for Versatile but I'm not sure any of us guessed that. I find that acronyms tend to get lost with the consumers (Anyone remember what MDX stands for?). It appears a lot is riding on the Prius name that precede the letter but the letter itself has to mean something to the consumer. Prius C seem to date back to the first rumours of a Prius "A, B and C" referring to small, medium and large versions of the Prius (With the current Prius being the "B"). Does it mean compact? coupe? crossover? I guess what I'm saying is that I wished Toyota was a little more creative with the names. I understand they're a conservative company but they need names that describe the product. Then again, I've been wrong about the advertisement so what do I know about marketing? Rick Johnson (HTMLSpinnr) - PriusChat Moderator & Prius Expert Without really knowing what features or form factors each name actually represents, Prius "C" evokes "coupe" or "classic". Prius V evokes the thought of "van". While others are thinking roman numerals, the first thoughts that come to my mind are not numeric. I'm not sure how successful this type of naming will be, other than consumers may say "Well, it's a Prius 'something', so it must be some sort of hybrid..." Is it exciting? Not as much as "Sienna" or "Odyssey" or "Venza". Sounds a bit Scion-ish, except that this is singular letters vs. letter pairs. Danny Cooper, PriusChat Founder, Co-Host of the What Drives Us podcast, & Prius Expert. In a world of social media and search engine marketing, the name of the Prius V is an utter nightmare for Toyota. They have just spent almost two years telling consumers that the Prius V is the top-line model of the 2010 Prius sedan. By doing a quick Google search you'll find that "Prius V" was discussed on over 33,000 pages on PriusChat ALONE before news of the Prius "Vee" broke. Why kill that built-in marketing just to use the lame name Prius "Vee" on a Prius wagon/MPV? The intent is obviously to not have any additional words cloud the Prius name. The Prius name is worth millions, if not billions to Toyota, so keeping the word Prius clear is somewhat understandable. But still, Prius is a brand. Prius carries whatever word comes after it, so use a word, not an ambiguous Roman Numeral/Letter. What's the biggest problem with using letters to name the new members of the Prius family? It's confusing. My parents drive an Acura, but they have no idea if they drive a TL, RL, TSX, MDX, RDX, or NSX. Why add a layer of confusion to the already horrible dealer buying process? Car brands with letters in their model names usually are low volume sellers. I'm not saying that the naming convention has any correlation to their sales, but when you look at the September sales numbers and see that the Prius sedan sold just about as many cars as Scion and Lexus combined, you start to see my point. Lexus and Scion are two Toyota brands that use confusing naming conventions to brand their cars. Bottom line: It's a confusing naming convention that offers nothing positive for consumers. Let's hope the actual cars are different.

2. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, was Toyota serious about those names? I thought they were code names for the new models. If they seriously think V and C are car names, they need to give their heads a shake. I thought I, II, III, etc. was ridiculous enough.

With that said, I'd be OK with model names of at least two characters, but I'd still rather have a word there. A single letter though just won't cut it in North America. They're just asking for SERIOUS confusion with potential buyers.

Salesman: What are you shopping for today?
    Buyer: A Prius
    Salesman: A Prius (1,2,3,4,5), a Prius C, or Prius V?
    Buyer: I don't know, that white one over there...

and so it will go ;-)

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, it was horribly bad planning to use Roman numerals for option packages, if Toyota was going to use Letters for models, later.

Second these seem to be Volvo model names already: Volvo Cars | Volvo USA Site | www.volvocars.com/us

Third, and I suspect I am alone in the US in wanting this name, but I owned a 1989 Toyota wagon that was s a Sprinter. Toyota does not currently use this name but Mercedes does.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sprinter"]Toyota Sprinter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For the USA market, use the EPA classifications and be done with it:

• Prius compact
    • Prius sedan
    • Prius wagon
    As for model changes within the brand, use the last two digits of the year introduced:

• Prius compact 01 - NHW11
    • Prius sedan 04 - NHW20
    • Prius sedan 10 - ZVW30
    What is so hard about making a name that tells us what it is?

Yes, I know the EPA likes to change things up every now and then but so what. Use the class it falls in during the release year. Of course to me, they will always be NHW10, NHW11, NHW20 and ZVW30.

Bob Wilson

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PV Prius Van
    PC Prius Coupe
    PH Prius Hatchback
    PP Prius Plane
    PM Prius Motorcycle

hehe

no labeling on the back.. simply logo.. toyota.. and prius... anyone can figure out what a van, hatchback, or other vehicle is.

you walk into a dealer and say i want a hatchback... or a truck.. or a van.. then you pick the engine (traditionally)... so you walk in and you ask for a prius.

the dealer: a van/wagon, traditional hatchback, or compact?
    person: i'll take the van
    dealer: are you looking for a navigation system, etc, etc, (basically laying out the "packages"

this makes it simple and pleasant-ish for the buyer... its all the same method in the end.. but I really think they should leave the labels off..

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Humm, I like it.

Prius International Space Ship . . .

Bob Wilson

7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you visit other hybrid and eco- or high mileage forums,
    you will find that there is a generally accepted code for hybrids.
    For example:
    HCH - Honda Civic Hybrid
    NAH - Nissan Altima Hybrid
    FEH - Ford Expedition Hybrid ( Yes, I know, an oxymoron for sure.)

But people just say Prius, not TPH.

This I think is a good start:

But I would go farther. I think the Generation should be given --
    in the future the different body styles will probably be upgraded
    in different years. You could also include the options level.
    Model identification would look like this:

For existing vehicles:
    P1S-B 1st Gen, Sedan, Base level
    P2H-T6; 2nd Gen, Hatchback, Touring, Level 6
    P3H-VAT; 3rd Gen, Hatchback, Level5, Advanced Tech

For future vehicles
    P3H-PHV3; 3RD Gen, Hatchback, Plug-in, Level 3
    P4V-4; 4th Gen, Van, Level 4
    etc.

I agree, no model designation on the car.
    These would be typically used in posts, discussions, etc.

8. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sure. That numerical alphabetitis up there would make things super simple.

So, let's see, I have a P2H-NT4; Prius 2nd Gen, Hatchback, Non Touring, Level4... or whatever pakage I have. Shouldn't we add a year designator to the mix?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    NO NO NO . . . . Prius International Space Ship would be turned into an acronym ... and you know where THAT would take people ... straight to the john.

:eek:

2 people like this.
  10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I like it. As I stated on the other thread, if you ask a Camry driver today what they drive, they will say "a Camry" instead of saying "a Toyota." By using Prius C, Prius V, or Prius compact or Prius wagon, when asked what they drive, people will still be saying "a Prius." They aren't going to say "a wagon" or "a compact." They will have to say "Prius" in the name. This is excellent person-to-person advertising for the Prius brand, and helps build on the already established Prius name recognition. If you have a sub-name like "Auctious," when someone says "I drive an Auctious," that doesn't help build the already established Prius name.

:)

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

I would guess C means Compact and V means Van, without sounding so boring :).

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd have to think about the naming more...
    FEH=Ford Escape Hybrid. There is no Expedition Hybrid.

Woah... P1S-B, P2H-T6, etc. is really confusing. I don't think Toyota has ever used this nomenclature nor has anyone else. We've got NHW11, NHW20, ZVW30, etc. already.

Some enthusiasts of some brands like calling their car by the model code (e.g. E36, E46, E90,etc. for BMW 3-series) but BMW never slaps on those codes on the back of their cars. On the other hand, Nissan Maxima folks don't usually refer to theirs as an A33 instead of a 5th gen or 00-03 Maxima.
    Hmm, that is relatively simple. There have been many examples of this before, even within Toyota. IIRC, there was a Camry sedan, wagon and coupe and Toyota didn't put on those extra words after Camry, at least not on the back. GM's A-cars (Old Cutlass Ciera, Pontiac 6000, Chevy Celebrity, etc.) were also like this, IIRC.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Volvo uses C to mean Coupe', and V to mean Versatile, (Station Wagon) I think Toyota is following suit.

14. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes it easier to sell in overseas markets.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This would be a whole simpler if:

• Bob - today's ZVW30
    • Bobby - Yaris sized Prius
    • Robert - MVP sized Prius
    • Old Bob - the NHW20
    • Old Man Bob - the NHW11
    • First Bob - the NHW10
    • Buzz Bob - the Prius supercar
    Then if we can just start renaming the users at Prius Chat, Bob . . .

Bob Wilson

16. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These names are hopelessly confusing, a really awful idea....and they'll go with them anyways.

Someone somewhere was paid to come up with these names, and they're not about to listen to free advice as to how awful they are, no matter how much sense it makes.

If I ever end up getting one, when someone asks what it is (since I de-badge my cars the first day home from the dealer), I'll simply say it's a Prius and leave it at that.

1 person likes this.
  17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Bob was taking the Prius. International. Space. Ship. out of the discussion

18. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They should follow this movie series:

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

So here goes for Prius family and diff. models/packages:

Sedan/Coupe/Van of the Prius: The Curse of the tailgaters (base model or 2)
    Sedan/Coupe/Van of the Prius: The Sound Of Silence (Premium or 3)
    Sedan/Coupe/Van of the Prius: Geek Man's Chest (Tech Package or 4)
    Sedan/Coupe/Van of the Prius: At Luxury's End (Touring or 5)

1 person likes this.
  19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Whatever the final names are, they have to sound good in conversations and even in music videos. Like these:

20. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats a great point!

Leave the name Prius,

I never said I drive a Chevy Silverado Extended cab 2LT
    instead I just drove a Silverado.
    Nor did I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer DE
    it was simply a Lancer.

We will all see the future owners of the Prius V and C simply saying I drive a Prius....that happens to be a Van!