1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priuschat Side Moldings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by blamy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ordered these on Jan 31rst and got them on Feb 6th. Installed today and they look pretty good! Sorry about the grainy pictures. It was a real easy install and it didn't hurt that my brother in law is a retired auto body man!!! LOL.

Attached Files:

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the photos. First time I've seen photos of them on a Pine Mica Prius. I think they look good. Did you guys put them on your Silver Prius too?

BTW, I don't know if you or other PriusChatters have, but personally I have never seen another Prius with any of the exterior/visible modifications that a lot of us PriusChatters have, such as the body side moldings, rear top bumper protector, sharkfin antenna, upgraded tires, trim rings or wheel covers removed, etc.

3. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do they attach? (What type of adhesive)
    I'm thinking of getting a set so any advice would be helpful, thanks.

4. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Didn't put them on the silver one as it has the xzilon coating and the 3M tape wouldn't stick for long I think that answers both? :)

5. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Forgot to mention took about 15 min to put them on. Really easy. I did not go as high as the instructions suggest but went 12 inches above the bottom of the doors. Used masking tape to mark my line and be sure to CLEAN and prep the area for good stickability (is that a word? lol)

6. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I understand you correctly, these are not good for the silver Prius (mine is silver) due to the type of adhesive or is the xzilon coating an aftermarket type coating that the side strip adhesive won't bond too?

7. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its the xzilon coating that makes it too slippery to bond too. It is like a super duper rain-x on steriods. In Florida we have "Love Bugs" that fly together hitched and when they hit they make a mess and their innards can eat the paint if you leave them on too long and usually have to scrub till your arm looks like Arnold to get them off. With the xzilon I just hit them with a hose and they just about fall off. Stuff runs between 4 & 5 hundred bucks but was worth it to me.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah those Love Bugs. Once when I was in central Florida during Love Bug season, it was like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Splat! Splat! Splat!

So now that you have the moldings on the Pine Mica, you're going to put that xzilon coating on?

Re the Silver Prius, I would think that you could still put the moldings on (that 3M tape is very sticky), or by stripping the xzilon coating from the area where the moldings would go and/or prepping that area with alcohol wiping and that bonding prep stuff that they give you with the moldings.

9. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yup; next step is to xzilon the Pine Mica before the season starts. They are actually not as bad as in the early seventies when I had to carry a razor blade to work with me to stop about half way to work and scrape the little buggers off! A little car wax is all it takes to get the xzilon off. You can just about wash it with battery acid and it will protect but a little car wax removes it. Thinking seriously about doing Silver. (Looks like I'm going to have to come up with some names to keep things straight!) How about Hy-O Silver & the Green Hornet?????

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoa, early Seventies -- 1973 to be exact -- was when I was in Central Florida and experienced those Love Bugs. What has been the cause of their dwindling numbers since then?

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately the Rejex would remove the Xzilon and they come off real easy with the Xzilon. The decline is due to their cycle, every 10 years or so they will get pretty bad again but never as bad as the late 60's and early 70's. They truely are a nasty bug as even birds and frogs won't eat them!!

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Global warming!!

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, I was at my Toyota dealer -- Toyota of Manhattan -- this morning getting some work done, and saw its price list for installed side moldings and installed BumperDefender.com bumper guard strips:

-- PriusChat Side Moldings: $399 installed (the cost here on PriusChat for the moldings alone is ~ $120, which means that my dealer is charging ~ $280 for labor)

-- BumperDefender.com Front & Rear Bumper Guard Strips: $299 installed (the cost of the bumper guard strips alone at BumperDefender.com is ~ $80, which means that my dealer is charging ~ $220 for labor)

$280 labor charge to install peel-and-stick side moldings, and $220 labor charge to install peel-and-stick bumper guard strips!!! My dealer -- what a funny guy!!!

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. SW Prius

SW Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer threw in side moldings and burl dash trim after market for me. I hated them, I thought it made the car look old fashioned and it just didn't look like a Prius! I removed them after 3 weeks, after trying to convince myself they were functional and looks didn't matter. Just one of those gut things

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, aesthetics are always personal.

Re the burl dash --- I've seen some that look great and others that look terrible.

Re the PriusChat side moldings --- I think they look great (and at minimum, they're innocuous and do not detract from the Prius' looks).

18. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wood dash kit may not mix well with Prius' futuristic dash layout, even with luxury wood-look, IMO. Something metallic or carbon fiber maybe a better choice if I were doing a dash kit, but that's personal perference.

Boo:
    $280 for the labor to put on the moldings? It certainly is a rip-off but that's New York Manhattan's price, everything is expensive there plus tips. ;)

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those wood dash kits come in various numbers of pieces. There are 12 piece kits, 18 piece kits, 24 piece kits, etc. I think if you use a lot of pieces it looks terrible. But if you're judicious and selective in limiting the number of pieces you use, it can look great. Check out these pictures from usbseawolf2000 --- I think he did a really nice job with his wood dash kit, and it looks great:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/20827-woodtrim-17-rims.html

Yup. This is the same dealer who wanted to charge me $2500 for the same Platinum Care Extended Warranty that PriusChat (through Troy Dietrich of WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA) charges $990 for.

20. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They are real simple to install and at a Dealership anything over 1 hours labor is a ripoff IMHO! By the way I just received my wheelskin in about 3 days! This is another fairly simple add on that looks;feels and smells great. Took a little longer to string but as the instructions say it was an hour to do. Pictures included.

Attached Files: