1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Site Updates are ongoing

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As you can see, I performed the forum upgrade today. I pulled the site down last night at around midnight and finally finished the update around 1:30 this afternoon. There are a lot of things I've still got to work on, so please bear with me for awhile.

New features include:
    • Rich Text (WYSIWYG) Editor
      Link to Board Setting: Select the Rich Text Editor Here
      Easily format posts, signatures and personal messages in a similar method as word processing programs.
    • Multiple Question Polls
      Create new polls in an easy to use interface. Set different questions for multiple question polls.
    • In-line Quick Post Editing
      Edit posts quickly from the topic view page without reloading your topic!
    • MyAssistant Redesigned
      Redesigned to allow for instant notification of new PMs with the ability to cycle through recent PMs. Instant "new posts" listing, and quick search - all used without a single page refresh!
    • RSS Feeds (coming "soon")
      We now have the ability to set up RSS feeds for individual forums and will be setting them up shortly.
    Cookies are a little messed up right now. I'm trying to force everything to go to www.priuschat.com instead of just priuschat.com for cookie and search engine purposes, so if you get logged out, just try clearing your cookies and re-log in.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know the present lay-out is only temporary, but I really like the uncluttered look. I hope you can avoid having quite so much stuff pushing the actual thread text so far off to the right as on the old version. Maybe an option for "nothing but thread text" on the thread pages.

Same thing for PM's. It got to where the PM text was in a box about 2 inches wide!

Thanks a lot Danny. I look forward to seeing the final result of this version.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so far, looks awesome. you're the man! :) now it's time to check out some of these new features...

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Go dog (Danny) Go!

5. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with Daniel, I like the uncluttered look to the threads and the ability to read it full screen with no distractions on the left side. Great changes Danny!!

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This WYSIWYG stuff is the bee's <strike>elbows</strike> knees!

Groovy!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm really liking this new look, Danny.

I think <strike>Darell</strike>, <strike>Galaxee</strike>, <strike>Marin</strike>, gilahiker said it best.

But above all, I think [you]'s really going to like this new look considering how much they whined and complained about the previous version.

8. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Mar 29 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]231760[/snapback]</div>

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, so (apparently by popular demand) you've brought back the {you} tag. May I ask what this really accomplishes? It is a funny joke, of course, at the expense of newbies and unsuspecting people (I was taken in by it - ha ha). But the end result is that it degrades the level of communication, because now every time I see my name in a post, I have to click on "Reply" to see if the poster really is addressing me, or if it is a joke with the {you} tag. And the same goes for everyone else. Your own name now never can be read without ambiguity.

If prius Chat is a joke chatboard, this is a great feature. If its primary purpose is communication it is silly and obstructive. I suggest that once everyone's had a good laugh it be disabled. Just my opinion.

10. [you]

[you] New Member

I am on the DANCE of [you]!!!!!! I am visiting every thread tonight that mentions my name. Mention me and I will visit your thread too!

(P.S. [you] is a terrific member here.. I wish they would post more! but, daniel is a pain sometimes.)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm hopping spell check makes an appearance soon so I can look as intelligent as I think I am.

12. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so it took me a few minutes to understand why I was being talked about in so many thread... HA HA ha... but where is the rest of priuschat??? The store, etc... All I can find is the fourms main page....

13. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey I NEVER complained about any of the previous versions!!!!!

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 29 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]232091[/snapback]</div>
    I am willing to bet that it will take care of itself fairly quickly. The jokes will be funny, then they will die off just as they did when we had the feature on the old board. Every 3 months or so it's nice for a good laugh at a newbie's expense :) Notice that this time the ]you[ tag isn't build into the GUI editor, so people will probably forget about it after the jokes stop being so funny.

But for tonight you gotta admit these threads are pretty damned funny.

By the way, I love this WYSIWYG editor.

15. MtnTraveler

MtnTraveler New Member

K like to use "View New Posts"... very handy. Is there a way to block the Fred's Pancake stuff? I'm only interested in Prius stuff. Sorry I'm so boring but I have a billion things to read already!

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Mar 29 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]232180[/snapback]</div>
    You may be right. In the mean time you chase off a few newbies who are uncomfortable about being made fun of, and you attract a few people who are more interested in practical jokes than in the car. This comes back to an issue Allande raised: In a medium that is by its nature open to everyone, how do you attract people who are interested in the primary subject of the board, and discourage people who have no interest in it, but who enjoy flaming or making jokes at other people's expense? Do you do it by confusing newbies and giving practical jokers a hayday?

The {you} tag is appropriate for a joke board. Not for a serious board whose main purpose is to provide reliable information about a car.

Just my opinion.

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE( @ Mar 29 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]232107[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: It's funny because it's true.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would appear that we're now getting double-spaces for each carriage return?

This is one return.

That was two returns (In my WYSIWYG edit window, there is only one line space above this one.) So it appears that What You See is not quite What You Get.

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bring back :wave:...

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An... and just discovered something else that might be new... I started a new thread, and wanting to keep the thread introduction post separate from the content posts, I attempted to add a post after my initial one. But my follow-up post was automagically appended to my opening post. It would appear that I cannot produce two posts in a row? I can see what that is helpful for those who cannot find the edit button... but when I WANT to place a second post for organizational reasons, it would be nice to have the option!

This is supposed to be a new post.... testing, testing...