1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChatter Featured in the Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dr. Sultan Rahaman, aka rahamanmd on the PriusChat community forums, is featured in an article in today's Orlando Sentinel. It's an interesting article about Dr. Rahaman moving from being a long-time BMW owner to a first-time Prius owner.
    Hybrids stay popular -- even after gas prices fall​
    Steven Cole Smith​
    Sentinel Automotive Editor​
    October 12, 2009​
    HEATHROW​
    A year ago, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in Orlando was $3.45. This week, it's $2.39. Why would anyone, then, feel compelled to buy a hybrid?​
    Having a hybrid isn't just about saving money on fuel. The gas-sipping vehicles are good for the environment, fun to drive, maintain their value and can even be considered a "fashion accessory," owners and auto-industry experts say. That's why sales of hybrids have held up well, even as gas prices have plunged and the automotive industry struggles through the recession.​
    Dr. Sultan Rahaman of Heathrow bought his first BMW in 1991 and has owned a succession of them since. But this year, he replaced his BMW with a 2010 Toyota Prius. And shortly before that, he replaced his wife's minivan with a 2009 Prius.​
    And though he does miss the BMWs — "the ride, the handling," he says, "I thought, how often do I really need 300 horsepower?"​
    Rahaman, who's in family practice, is averaging about 50 miles per gallon in his Prius. And in doing so, he feels he is making a difference.​
    "In the 1970s, during the first oil embargo, I was going to school in Canada, and I remember hearing about how we needed to reduce our dependence on oil," he said. "And for 35 years, we've basically done nothing. In a small way, I feel like we're doing something now."​
    He also got something he wasn't expecting: a hobby.​
    Rahaman, like other hybrid owners, admits to embracing his car's complex technology and to falling under the spell of the color graphics on the dashboard that give the driver instant information about fuel mileage.​
    As he drives to and from his office in Longwood, he tries to maximize that mileage, seeking out downhill routes and avoiding stoplights.​
    "And then I'll get stuck in traffic," he says, laughing, "and I think, 'There goes the day!' I'm totally involved when I'm driving this car."​
    ... Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry trends for TrueCar, a California-based automotive analyst firm, says there's also a star factor in owning a hybrid.​
    "Hybrids [are] a fashion accessory," he said. "It's appealing to be able to drive the same car that, say, Leonardo DiCaprio drives."​
    But that, says Rahaman, has nothing to do with his decision to own a hybrid.​
    "I went from an $80,000 car to one that costs under $30,000, and I don't think I'm the only one who has gone from a much more expensive car to a Prius," he said. "And that totally blows away the idea that people are buying these cars just for the mileage.​
    "It wasn't really a decision based on economics," he added. "I just thought, 'This is a car I can live with.' I really can't remember being more excited about driving a car." Orlando Sentinal

2 people like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The local newspaper unknowingly raises an issue without even realizing it. MANY on PC have done the same thing as the good doctor. We used to drive a Ford Explorer & a Range Rover but changed 'em both for the Prius & the Lexus hybrid SUV. Hats off the the Orlando Sentinel for finding one snowflake in the blizzard of us who changed & loved it.

3. rahamanmd

rahamanmd Prius for Change

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice article. The Doctor did a nice job with his explanations, and surprisingly the reporter played it straight. Good work!

Tom

5. rahamanmd

rahamanmd Prius for Change

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, he did play it straight.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very nice article.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is the one like:
    Perfect answer!

Bob Wilson

8. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Great news blurb from ORL.

It's nice to know I'm not alone here.

I really don't miss my Chevy Suburban’s (15 MPG) , 4 Porsches (never considered MPG) and twin engine airplane (6.5 MPG).

My wife still pokes fun at me although the 20 something kids like it. She says she will never give up her Bimmer, but I’ll bet she’s driving a Chevy Volt in 2-3 years.

Somehow I felt compelled to get simple with the Prius and I love it. The technology is impressive and driving is VERY fun.

It‘s really up to each one of to make the change. And it just feels good to be part of this Prius/Hybrid owner group that are helping our country by reducing fuel consumption.

9. uofsc93

uofsc93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Right there with you, after driving a BMW E46 and an M5 (Acura and Caddie before that) I switched to my Prius and am loving it. My staff is still shocked at my choice and the wife will never leave her X5. The kids though thinks its fantastic.