1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusCount in the Bay Area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kiwibruce, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kiwibruce

kiwibruce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi All,

So being the newbie Prius Owner geek...

I was over in the US visiting my sister that lives in the Napa Valley. I kept commenting to her while driving around Napa how amazing it was to see so many Prius'. Over here in New Zealand you are lucky to see 10 in a year. (I live in a smallish town and there is only one other in town)

Well! when I took the Airporter bus from Napa to SFO I got bored with my book so took to spotting oncoming Prius' My total count was 142! freaking amazing considering I couldn't see any on the Bay Bridge (being a double decker so can't see oncoming traffic) Not sure how many miles long that thing is.

I am sure this is just a drop in the ocean of the US Prius population but Just felt to urge to post a comment. coming from litte ole New Zealand it was quite heart warming.:rockon:

Bruce

2. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Bruce, there seems to be an especially large number of Pri in the Bay area. I was in the SF/San Jose area recently and it seemed like 1 in every 25 or 30 cars was a Prius. There are Prius cab companies in SF, also. I passed a enclosed lot belonging to the city of SF that was entirely full of white Prius.
    Makes you feel right at home, doesn't it?

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I only count green ones. On a typical 2 hour shopping trip, it's usually 2 or 3. One time I saw 7 other green Prius. Just counting all Prius would be too much of a distraction from driving.

The fascination with the Prius in the Bay Area, particularly the San Jose area, is the technology. A lot of the local industry involves computers and high tech devices. The Prius is just an excellent example of the type of work done here. As you head north to San Francisco and Marin County, people are more attracted by the economy and ecological angles. No idea why you'd see them in Napa. Do they have hopes of growing grapes as a fuel source? Maybe it's just that smart people buy a Prius.:D

The local ethnic vehicle in Silicon Valley used to be the BMW 325. It has been replaced by the Prius. Upper management types still tend to buy Mercedes. Soccer moms tend to have SUVs. The Latin contingent in East San Jose still like '57 Chevys. Tesla will be big if they can ever make enough vehicles, particularly something the size of a Prius.

It's a real culture shock to travel out of the area to where old pickup trucks dominate. Different areas certainly tend toward a different vehicle mix.

4. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All true, so true......

By the way, I didn't count them---it just seemed statistically so.......

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Um, I don't know what part of the Bay Area you frequent, but in the South Bay, easily 1 in 10 cars are Prii. It's not unusual to see groups of 8+ prii on the freeway due to random circumstance.

At the company I work for, out of the 300 cars parked in our parking lot, we have 31 gen II pri and 1 gen III.

6. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi-
    The area between SF and Los Gatos, a couple of times a year.
    I have a tendency to exaggerate sometimes, so I didn't want to over state.....but I knew there sure were a lot. ha ha ha

PRIUS RULES!!!

:rockon:

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Priuses are not as common in my small city. One of the local taxi companies started using them a few years ago, and I suspect even now, that about half the Priuses on the road at any given time are taxis. Too many pickups, suvs and minivans.

I saw my first 2010 Prius on the road today.... it was a taxi (was that you, lucky1 ?)