1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priusonline's turn?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by David Beale, Oct 3, 2006.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yesterday this site went "funny" while I was on it. Now Priusonline is off-line (just after I visited late last night). Makes me feel responsible. ;) Hackers are idiots! They really should find something productive to do or maybe seek therapy.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree.

Oh sure, there are a few indiscretions that highlight my childhood but the destruction of personal or commercial property was strictly where that line was drawn. Intentional intrusion and destruction is a criminal act and those who perpetrate it should be charged as criminals. And we should take a lesson from those cultures that cut the hands off thieves. If we can prove that you are a malicious hacker, you lose your dominant hand.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with everything you say up to the hand part. Let's not try to emulate ancient, primitive cultures, hmm?

4. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok!! Maybe i watch to many movies sometimes!but maybe its someone who hates the popularity prius chat and online provide to the prius (jealousy).Either that person is doing the hacking or paying someone to do it. <_<

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 3 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]327283[/snapback]</div>
    There was a time when most malicious hackers were pranksters. Immature people who thought it was funny to damage other people's property.

According to what I read, most malicious hackers today are criminals, often organized, who do it as professional crime. I don't know anything about the recent hacks of PC, but I gather that it's common for a criminal to hack a site and then hold it for ransom. X number of dollars to get your site back.

Apparently, most viruses and worms today are for-profit ventures. They're fishing for financial information for identity theft, or for passwords for direct access to bank accounts, or seeking to control other people's computers as "bots" to distribute spam, or for DOS attacks (which can also involve ransom or blackmail) or other nefarious ways of making a buck.

And it's especially hard to stop because the attacker may be in Russia as easily as in the U.S. Apparently the Russian mafia is big into computer crime. Globalization provides opportunities on many levels.