1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusXM - Text Limited to 10 chars?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priuscat, Dec 26, 2005.

1. priuscat

priuscat New Member

I've scanned the topics and read (and posted) about Prius XM (provided by John in New Jersey) before. I gave the kit to my husband for Christmas and he installed it, but when we select "Text" for songs and artist names it only shows the first 10 characters of each.

Is this a known issue? I can't find anything on it, but admittedly I'm a bit spaced today.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, it's apparently a limitation of the MFD, no known solution. Usually you can figure out the artist and title from the first 10, but it's annoying when you can't.

3. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    priuscat,

What year and package do you have? I do know that Toyota should begin offering an XM for the Prius starting this spring. I am not sure if the '06 with the dealer installed XM will have the same limitation.

At this point... I am going to wait.

/Jim

4. Airgetlam

Airgetlam Junior Member

I've got the same issue with my Toyota Sirius radio connected to my 2005. You'd think that with the technology in the car, they could have included a 'scroll' function to get more than 10 characters shown....

You're not alone. But I agree, I can usually figure out what's going on from the 10 letters. After about 3 months, it's a minor annoyance at best.

I'm still stunned the CD player can't handle MP3s, though :)

Bruce
    2005 Package 9

5. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    32 Characters per the 2006 Manual

Page 263 of the 06 Owners Manual says up to 32 alphanumeric characters can be dsiplayed on the secondary screen of the XM Radio, available (in March) for the Type 1 (JBL) radio.

6. Truffles

Truffles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Will this be something that can be added for us who picked up our cars prior to March? I have the #8 package.

7. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes - According to My Dealer

Sounds like the March XM Radio option will be available for all 2006 Prius with the Type I (JBL) sound system.

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Why is it a limit of the MFD? I always hear this on this board and yet my CD text handles a lot more characters. I believe I counted one at 26 characters. Maybe it is a limit of the interface with the XM and stereo, but the MFD can display more. I have not hooked up my iPod yet to the Vais AIC-100i, is it limited to 10 characters?

9. BobR

BobR Member

The Vais is limited to 23 for the Playlist name and 27 for the information.

http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum23.html