1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Private Sale - My Highly Modified '04 #9!

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by mboileau, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Considering selling my '04 #9 due to some recent changes in my situation. We now have an extra vehicle in the driveway, so I have the liberty of pursuing a private sale rather than trade in order to pursue going after a Highlander hybrid (we need more cargo space) when available.

The details:
    2004 Prius, package #9, 17000 miles. Driftwood Pearl / Tan color combo.
    Includes extended warranty and guaranteed fabric/paint protection repair and replacement plan. Purchased by and serviced at Concord Toyota in Concord, CA.

As many of you have seen from my posts, I've taken the opportunity to make just about every technical and cosmetic modification available to this baby including:

- **Factory integrated XM (prepaid service for ~9 months remaining!)**
    - **iPod2Car digital audio interface**
    - Coastal Tech's EV-only switch modification
    - Coastal Tech's Auto door lock mechanism
    - Phone speed defeat switch
    - NAV speed defeet switch
    - 12V outlet "always on" modification
    - "Prius" white vinyl lettering on rear side rocker panels
    - Factory front end mask
    - Wheelskins leather perforated steering wheel cover (tan/black 2tone)
    - CA DMV registration paid through 2/06

I've paid off enough to cover my tax and license (how depressing), but only considering the move at this time if I can pay off my loan balance of $26,500. Yes, I know you can buy on '05 for that price, but I'm trading that off for the optional equipment and mods. You may or may not feel the same way.

If interested or need more info, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bump - good luck on the sale!

Also, Mark, be sure to check out www.hihychat.com - it will be live soon for future Highlander Hybrid owners.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is what Kelley Blue Book says it is worth:

Private Party Value: $22,020

Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

Retail Value: $24,205

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history . This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

4. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Believe me, I'm very familiar with KBB and how it rates the '04 Prius. I'm also familiar with Edmund's evaluation.

I can tell you from previous experience where I've taken vehicles to end of lease and have discussed lease-end purchase options, that as a rule, most leasing companies don't use Blue Book, they use actual market values based on local area as detemrined by several nationally recognized sites, predominantly, www.autotrader.com. In separate instances where I've been in this situation, it's worked for and against me. I've been able to negotiate down lease-end prices since they believe Autotrader is more realistic.

Additionally, both KBB and Edmunds fail to take market demand and availability into account.

Lastly, I'd be repeating myself to painfully point out once again this price is based on the modifications and added equipment (KBB doesn't even recognize the existence of an XM unit, let alone the retail value of Coastal's kits), plus the $1,500 extended warranty, plus the $1000 fabric and paint protection/replacement insurance, plus the $250 full year's pre-paid registration, plus incidentals such as the pre-paid XM.

I apologize for responding with a knee-jerk reaction, but like most of us, I'm a little sensitive about a car I've put so much time and attention into. It may be closed-minded of me, but I really don't want this discussion thread to turn into a public debate over what my car's worth. If it's not worth the asking price to someone, they need not respond.

Mark

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With all due respect, when you choose to advertise your car for sale on a bulletin board, at what some of us consider to be an inflated price, the price will be discussed regardless of your dictates. Starting this thread does not give you the right to censor what others have to write.

You are selling a used car with 17,000 miles. The value of the extras (some of which you overstate in comparison to what they are really worth, i.e., the extended warranty) does not make up for the depreciation.

The supply shortage is over. My car broker is offered Priuses on a daily basis from numerous dealers at hundreds of dollars off MSRP.

6. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Additional pricing consideration:

I spoke to Toyota to verify the options with the extended warranty. I have a 7 year / 100K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty which includes the hybrid system and the high-voltage batteries. This warranty is transferrable as is to a buyer and is included in my price above.

I can also offer this car to a buyer for $25,150 without the extended warranty. According to Toyota, of the $1595 I actually paid for the plan, it is immediately cancellable with the unused prorated portion directly refundable to me. This represents a refund of roughly $1350 of what I paid. Given that, my break-even payoff would be the $25,150 sales price.

FWIW, California DMV is transferrable and pre-paid for one year.

Mark

7. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Re: Private Sale - Reselling my Coastaletech Mod Kits!!!

SOLD! FYI to those in this area considering selling. I sold the vehicle over the weekend to a private party for $25,000. Ironically, the buyer required that I remove ALL aftermarket modifications for fear of voiding warranty, so I stripped everything out except for the XM unit. We agreed on the KBB private-party price ($22,555 for my specs), plus $500 for an installed XM unit, plus the $250 in DMV fees, plus the cash value of $1350 remaining on my pre-pad externded warranty, plus some margin).

So, I now have a couple of goodies sitting here that are of absolutely no use to me, so I'll offer them for sale here at reduced prices. If there's no response within a few days, I'll list them on eBay. The link below is to Coastal's product page with more information about each kit, and also their order form to confirm pricing as new.

ELECTRIC MODE KIT - $30 (Retail new $45)
    AUTO DOOR LOCK KIT - $45 (Retail new $65)

Coastal Tech product page: http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

IPOD2CAR (NEO ION) KIT AND TOYOTA CABLES - $150

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/productdetails.a...p?productID=202

This is the Neo Ion iPod kit that provides digital-quality sound from your iPod to be played through your Prius sound system without the use of cassette adapters or FM modulators. This kit connects to your iPod via the iPod connector and simultaneously charges your unit when connected.

This kit includes the Toyota Prius head unit cable for connection directly to the Aux input on the back of your factory stereo (all packages), and also includes a Toyota Y-cable (sold separately) to allow for two external devices to be connected at the same time (for use with XM).

I will say that I have only used this alongside the XM unit, and have never been able to get the car to recognize that there are 2 external modules independent of each other. Other buyers (on this web site) have confirmed that when there is no XM unit present, the track buttons and independent Mode work just fine. I have only verified that the digital sound and charging capability work correctly. The unit was purchased in November, so there may be warranty available, and definitely there is tech support from the vendor.

Please contact me directly at [email protected] if interested in any of the three kits.

Thanks,
    Mark

8. mboileau

mboileau New Member

All three kits have been sold. Thanks.

Mark

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, nice work, glad you got a decent price after some others have had to reduce so far.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very nicely done, Mark. Glad you received what you wanted on it, and were able to spread the goodies amongst the PriusChat viewership.

11. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Thanks guys for your help and support. The numbers worked out just fine for me. FYI, claiming the $2000 hybrid deduction netted me an extra $600 in my tax refund so it's been favorable all around.

Mark