1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pro car buyers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Palulf, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you for a great place to find information about the Prius. This is my first post. I have tried to find a thread on the subject, but maybe my search wasn't good enough.

I found a lot of good buying advice and what to look out out for with a used Prius, but being a foreigner and not in the US, some assistance would be nice and this is were the pro car buyer comes in.

Ok, here is the case:

We live in Northern Europe and need a new car. We would like to buy Prius as gas is about $9 per gallon. We've set our eyes on a 3rd. gen. Prius from 2010. A used Prius in this category sell for about $31000 and up in our country. You can find them cheaper, but milage would then be rather high (used as taxies etc.).

Importing a newer car to our country from the US can be expensive with all the taxes, but for the Prius it is actually not so bad. We don't have too much money, but if we could find an ok car, this could turn into a good thing. Around $22000.

Pro car buyers.
    My question is therefore, should we use a pro car buyer to help us?
    By not being in the US, I relly don´t see how we can avoid it.
    Do you have any experience with them?
    Any recommendations?

We searched the net and found a few. They're not too expensive to use and can arrange for a mechanic to look at a cars for us. This will also help them negotiate a better price and tell us a bit more about the car.

A new Prius in our country starts at $46922 (Prius 1.8 Comfort).

Thank you :)
    Paul in Norway

2. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am pretty sure we have a couple owners from Norway here on PC.
    I think they could help you a lot. Try posting need help with purchase in Norway.
    Hope This Helps

3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    at $9 per gallon - a plug in prius might serve you better if you can afford it and are able to recharge it at home.

4. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your replies, but my question was if anyone had used a pro car buyer... But maybe this is not as wide spread as I thought in the US. A pro car buyer would find cars to your specifications, have them checked out and negotiate a price for you. For us who do not live in the US, this could be a great help, as we can't be there and check out the cars our selves.

I wish Walter, but we can't afford it :)
    Our hope is to find a newer car at a lower price in the US than we can afford here.

Gas prices are high in Norway, but they are high all over Europe compared to the US. I think it is about $8.40 in Germany. Why...? Our governments use it as a tax, but public transport is also at another level, I think.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The safest way is to purchase a brand new Prius, or else a used one with very low miles. What is the US price you can afford, including US taxes?

6. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that would be the best, but with the budget we have and the way the import system works, it will be too expensive. The age of the car is important. A new car will probably end up costing the same as in the stores over here.

Buying a car in the US is not the same as in my country.
    Starting price for the new Prius 2012 is, as mentioned, $46922.

7. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about import from Europe?

I bought mine used in feb 2011 for €18.500 ($23.800) with only 4.000 km
    New base model sels for €24.000 ($30.800)
    Used base model with 27.000 km on the net right now for €17.900 ($23.000)
    Used Executive model with 41.000 km on the net for €19.900 ($25.556)
    There is already a used Prius+ jul 2012 for €26.950 ($34.749) new is €32.560

Do you get tax refund if you buy in Europe? Those prices include 20% VAT.

8. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We used AAA to buy a new one for us. This service is free if you're a member. The purchase, trade-in and financing were all handled by them, and the whole no-hassle process took about 15 minutes of my time. The car and paperwork were delivered to my door and the trade-in taken away. Great experience, and we will never buy from a dealership again. They do used cars as well. I doubt you have access to AAA, but if you can find some other buying service that meets your needs, it might be worth considering.

9. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you both for your reply. Good to know.
    I have found a few pro car buyers that sound promising.

To Gasper... I think we have about $15-16.000 to spend on the car.
    The rest will go into shipping, taxes and registration over here.

10. Filmmaker1225

Filmmaker1225 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought a 2010 Prius 4 with 25K, and I bought an extended warranty with it. For the large amount of money you guys might look into buying a used car in the US and shipping it to Norway. The savings might pay for the trip! And there are plenty of cars along the eastern seaboard.

11. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, that is what we hope to do, but we can't come over, at least not now.
    Too many things going on here.

Buying a car here is fine, but buying one in the US is unknown to us. That is why we need help to locate the right car. Have it checked out and do the paper work. Since we are exporting it, I believe it is easier to buy from a dealer. At least that is what exporters and importers say on the web.

A pro car buyer would handle all this.
    Hopefully, we will be happy with the result :)

To Gaspers question about a VAT. refund. I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in Norway you can not, as a business, simply buy a car and get the 25% VAT. back. There are special rules for car purchases. Having a company car has many sides to it. Other Norwegian PriusChat readers might know a lot more about that.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesn't the European spec Prius have different features than US spec cars? I know for sure that the US spec Prius doesn't have the rear fog light, is that a must for driving in Norway? The 2010/2011 Prius also does not have DRLs (Daytime Running Lights), which I think European models do.

13. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know the signal lights are missing on the side of US cars. Europe use 6 signal lights. You need to buy some covers for the mirrors with signal lights in them to comply with the rules. I see there are some great guides here on how to fix that.

I think fog lights at the back are not mandatory if the car came without them. Have to check that. Daytime running lights are your ordinary head lights. Parking lights are for parking. It is not mandatory with an auto on/off switch when you start the car, but you must drive with your head lights on. All year. People will blink you.

Head lights turned on makes it easier for people to spot a car coming their way. There was a lot of debate about it when it was introduced, but today everyone agrees it is for the better, I think.

I also think, in my country, it is forbidden to drive with the fog lights in front on, unless there is a fog. Why, I don't know, but possibly because it can distract the driver from looking further ahead than what is illuminated by the fog lights.